Player Watch #10: Shane Edwards - Retiring at Seasons end

Remove this Banner Ad

was one of my favourite players, and i know I was one to call out his poor form this year. can't complain, family has come along and he is on a new direction. A player of his class has given us more than we can repay. And what makes me happy is we don't need to repay, he has three well deserved medals to show for his efforts.

Edwards has been such a great player and clubman. A real Richmond man. And after years of being referred to as Shaun Edwards, Ch 10 news tonight showed a photo of Matt Parker instead of Sheds while announcing Sheds' retirement. A fitting finale for the ultimate stealth player who you had to put him on slow-mo to appreciate how good he was!

remember the last few years we were all saying how he would play until his late 30s cos hes never been injured and had cat like reflexes

just goes to show father time doesnt wait to tap anyone on the shoulder

elmer started a robbie gray has retired thread on the mb tigs2010 I wonder if he will start one for shaun edward ?

When you think back to when these guys were contracted and the amount of cap space we will have is going to be ridiculous

Caddy - $450k
Lambert - $500k
Edwards - $500k
Houli - $450k

Also the Contract reductions for both Riewoldt & Cotchin this year could open up another $500k
thats nearly $2.5mil off the cap before increases to Baker , Bolton , Rioli and a few others

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An absolute Richmond legend and a proper Richmond man ❤ has provided us Richmond fans in their 30s so much joy from watching him as a skinny kid pinning our hopes on him Jack and cotch that one day we will be good after 20 years of supporting the biggest joke in the AFL and he has provided that in spades for us. Like dimma said when we needed a spark Edwards was our man and to be that provider in our premiership years speaks volumes of the player he is hopefully we send him on his way with another medal to hand around his neck 🙏

got a bit misty watching his speech, always been so youthful and quick, i guess some subconscious belief this day would never come.

such a strong part of the cultural reforge, never forget this era of players and staff as the magic mix that turned dreams into reality.

they laughed at "titch", they were openly incredulous at benny's plan. shedda has hands and brain so quick people couldn't see how we were all of a sudden in 10 metres of space, took teammates a bit (and the general football public a lot longer) to catch on.

one of those players that can see an extra second or step ahead and create something out of nothing.

will miss him.

he sees space where you swear there is none,

reads the play one move ahead of everyone else,

and pulls off a front-and-centre crumb at perfect speed.

To watch Edwards live, ignoring general play and tracking his running patterns for a few minutes, is to receive a masterclass in timing, reading the game and positioning.

"He's an amazing player, and he makes everyone around him better, that's what's so good about playing with Shane," teammate Jack Graham said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back