Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I just cant believe we are paying Curtis Taylor for another year - 2024.

He should be delisted. We need to clear the dead wood off the list ASAP.

I would rather a project ruckman, another speculative rookie taking the spot.

I would prefer we use it in the upcoming draft and select someone at pick 69, or whatever...

Larkey was pick 70 something, so it does work sometimes.

Its worth the risk...

Than to see another year of CT running around in the VFL.....

I just cant believe we are paying Curtis Taylor for another year - 2024.

He should be delisted. We need to clear the dead wood off the list ASAP.

I would rather a project ruckman, another speculative rookie taking the spot.

I would prefer we use it in the upcoming draft and select someone at pick 69, or whatever...

Larkey was pick 70 something, so it does work sometimes.

Its worth the risk...

Than to see another year of CT running around in the VFL.....
Disagree the delistings should start with the older players like who've had enough time in the system to show something.
Delisting kids who've had four years in the system with very poor development structure is a sure fire way to lose all the depth on your list.
Make a call generally speaking on Perez/Spicer/Lazzaro/Dawson group end of 2024 imo unless trade acquisitions or free agents are acquired.

Disagree the delistings should start with the older players like who've had enough time in the system to show something.
Delisting kids who've had four years in the system with very poor development structure is a sure fire way to lose all the depth on your list.
Make a call generally speaking on Perez/Spicer/Lazzaro/Dawson group end of 2024 imo unless trade acquisitions or free agents are acquired.
This is what Curtis's 5th season,

Curtis averages less than 14 disposals a game
1.7 tackles a game.
He doesnt have elite speed or strength.....

I would rather him gone, before Goldy, Shiel or Greenwood or JZ.

At least the above can still play a role....

What positive attribute do we get from Curtis?

1.7 tackles a game.

Can take an overhead mark and is a reasonable set shot. Should never be played on a wing at senior level ever again.

Essentially he, PC, Stephenson, and Cooper will be fighting for the same two spots. There's no room for more than two medium types that are pretty average pressure-wise. It's an indictment on both his own application and the developmental program that the flair he showed in 2020 has barely been seen this year

Can take an overhead mark and is a reasonable set shot. Should never be played on a wing at senior level ever again.

Essentially he, PC, Stephenson, and Cooper will be fighting for the same two spots. There's no room for more than two medium types that are pretty average pressure-wise. It's an indictment on both his own application and the developmental program that the flair he showed in 2020 has barely been seen this year
if squizzy could improve his set shots i reckon we would be a great mid fwd, as you say he is a good grab when he gets a run at it, but just misses to many gettable set shots. you have to have a point of difference in the fwd line if your not a small goal sneak or a tall, aaron edwards in the past was a great example of this and that where squizzy could be if he improved his kicking,

I can see Curtis being targeted on the cheap by a team that needs his type. Saints or Bombers for example. I'm sure we'd assist. It's a shame though.

if squizzy could improve his set shots i reckon we would be a great mid fwd, as you say he is a good grab when he gets a run at it, but just misses to many gettable set shots. you have to have a point of difference in the fwd line if your not a small goal sneak or a tall, aaron edwards in the past was a great example of this and that where squizzy could be if he improved his kicking,
True. Just had a look at his conversion numbers and they weren't brilliant. Not sure why I consider him a reasonable shot for goal. Maybe it's his action that fools me. A bit like Perez and his kicking.

At any rate, he turns 23 this year, has not progressed in his career, and still has the legs of a child. I'm one of his biggest fans and I'm resigned to the fact that other blokes seem to have taken his place. It's a shame

True. Just had a look at his conversion numbers and they weren't brilliant. Not sure why I consider him a reasonable shot for goal. Maybe it's his action that fools me. A bit like Perez and his kicking.

At any rate, he turns 23 this year, has not progressed in his career, and still has the legs of a child. I'm one of his biggest fans and I'm resigned to the fact that other blokes seen to have taken his place. It's a shame
dont get me wrong , there is a lot i like about him but without improving his conversions he is just another also ran, Bruest ,Fritch or even Rayner are the sort of mid fwds with the returns you should be getting.

I'm not writing him off. We screwed him over a bit playing him on the wing. Let him find form in the twos and then another shot at as half forward. Actually having other goal threats in the forward line and a better midfield will help him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My issue with Taylor is that since hes gone back to the VFL he has not looked anywhere near it. At all.

Im adamant he is content with being contracted for 2024 and will sign on with Mick back at Keilor after that.
Hope to be proven wrong but the kid that was taking hangers in 2019 and had significant x-factor is a long distant memory.

1.7 tackles a game.

I get what you're staying, he may not survive with George and Harvey there but given he's contracted he'd be an easy decision at the end of 2024 to cut.
Club might consider trading him. He's got a good work rate, marking ability and kicks straighter than most for goal.
He's been surpassed by Fordy and for him to get a look in he needs to be performing better at VFL level.
Maybe he could be trialed at half back over preseason. I didn't say cut Goldy, Shiels, Greenwood or JZ. I would give most of them one year.
I'm talking about Young, Bonar, Turner, Howe and Edwards. Shiels might go into recruiting dept so that could come into play.
Depends who we get in the door as well but I would've thought those who are contracted will be cut end of next year.

Last edited:
I get what you're staying, he may not survive with George and Harvey there but given he's contracted he'd be an easy decision at the end of 2024 to cut.
Club might consider trading him. He's got a good work rate, marking ability and kicks straighter than most for goal.
He's been surpassed by Fordy and for him to get a look in he needs to be performing better at VFL level.
Maybe he could be trialed at half back over preseason. I didn't say cut Goldy, Shiels, Greenwood or JZ. I would give most of them one year.
I'm talking about Young, Bonar, Turner, Howe and Edwards. Shiels might go into recruiting dept so that could come into play.
Depends who we get in the door as well but I would've though those who are contracted will be cut end of next year.
Agree. Even with turnover of nine or 10 this year, some players need to remain who may not have a future beyond 18 months.

Yep put me in the CT to half back camp. Good mark, can run all day…that’s about it, but worth a shot. From memory his one on one work needs some work.

Yep put me in the CT to half back camp. Good mark, can run all day…that’s about it, but worth a shot. From memory his one on one work needs some work.
Fallen into the abyss since the Harry Styles concert 🤣

My issue with Taylor is that since hes gone back to the VFL he has not looked anywhere near it. At all.

Im adamant he is content with being contracted for 2024 and will sign on with Mick back at Keilor after that.
Hope to be proven wrong but the kid that was taking hangers in 2019 and had significant x-factor is a long distant memory.
Unfortunately it’s such a common theme with our young players. They show some promise in their first year and we think they’re going to improve but all they do is stagnate or regress. Paul Curtis is a prime example this year.

Unfortunately it’s such a common theme with our young players. They show some promise in their first year and we think they’re going to improve but all they do is stagnate or regress. Paul Curtis is a prime example this year.
I wouldn't be writing Pauly curtis off just yet, i reckon he over focused on strength and neglected working on his tank, he might need to go the narkle route and drop some body mass for mobility. Also reckon his set shot routine needs a bit of work but he has a lot of great attributes such as goal sense that you cant just learn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back