Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good honest, tough player but will never be an A grader. Mind you it's hard to develop when you have Laird kicking it to you.

I guess we could drop him and play the Gollant or Himmelberg types.

We could go from our second tall forward averaging a goal a game to averaging 0 goals and having Tex double teamed

He's still clearly best 22 and we know he's best is good enough so a good team would work to get him back there

We 100 percent persist.

Clearly a confidence player and as others have mentioned and definitely more so I'm the previous week's, not only do we look for Tex 90 percent of the time, but the kicks coming in to him have been atrocious.

Again this is more so I'm the previous week's, but the amount of good leads not honoured for fog have been plentiful.

Perhaps also due to players not having the confidence to hit up the short pass.

He'll kick 5 next week. Some signs appearing.

What signs appeared this week?

He looked much better the week prior.

He was dropping marks and had 2 kicks and in an absolutely disastrous performance. He struggled to get any separation from his defender.

This is a member of our leadership group.

I don't understand why Murphy is 10 times more criticized on this forum than FOG. Murphy is crap, but he does he best with his extremely limited talent. Its what makes FOG so damn frustrating - he could be so damn good.

Good honest, tough player but will never be an A grader. Mind you it's hard to develop when you have Laird kicking it to you.

When are we going to stop talking about his development? Dude is almost 25, had 7 preseasons and has played almost 100 games of bloody AFL football. He showed in the beginning of 2023 when he kicked 13 goals in 4 games that he has what it takes to put together quality AFL performances.

He absolutely has all the physical tools to be an A grader and has shown his talent multiple times at AFL level.

Compare the Carlton games:

2023 - Crows had 51 inside 50's. - Dawson 10, Jones 4, Smith 4, Walker 3, Rankine 3, Pedlar 3, Rachele 3, Max 3, Laird 2.

Walker - 15 touches, 9 marks, 3 goals 3 behinds
Fog - 16 touches, 10 marks, 5 goals 3 behinds

2024 - Crows had 48 inside 50's. - Rachele 5, Walker 4, Smith 4, Crouch 4, Keays 4, Soligo 4, Laird 3, Dawson 3, Rankine 3.

Walker - 14 touches, 10 marks, 4 goals 0 behinds.
Fog - 6 touches, 2 marks, 0 goals 0 behinds.

Its 100% on FOG.

Thought fog was ok. Dropped some marks, had some unbelievable spoils on him and was held atleast twice. Still created a few goals. He’s missing Thilthorpe in the team because it means he’s playing deeper to free up Tex (meant Weitering had to play behind him)

The Carlton game, a year to the day, was the last really good game that he played. His form on the back end of '22 was probably not sustainable on the level of targeting he gets, but the base line should not have fallen to having no possessions in a half, which he nearly did again yesterday.

He's still our second best key forward option (see Gollant yesterday?) If you really wanted to strain for the positives in this game, his possessions are at least impactful, and he didn't completely drop his head out of the game- he was a significant part of what led to two of the three goals in our come back. Hopefully he can take some confidence out of that.

The Carlton game, a year to the day, was the last really good game that he played. His form on the back end of '22 was probably not sustainable on the level of targeting he gets, but the base line should not have fallen to having no possessions in a half, which he nearly did again yesterday.

He's still our second best key forward option (see Gollant yesterday?) If you really wanted to strain for the positives in this game, his possessions are at least impactful, and he didn't completely drop his head out of the game- he was a significant part of what led to two of the three goals in our come back. Hopefully he can take some confidence out of that.
Exactly right. He was putting himself forward all night and was directly responsible for at least two goals. I enjoyed the head-first barrell through the oppo in the goalsquare which resulted in one of them. It's only the dropped marks that are the issue.

McHenry, on the other hand.........

I hope at least part of the story is that he's being asked to play deeper given there's no Thilthorpe or McAdam. He's definitely capable of getting up the ground and creating play the way Walker does, and shouldn't be averaging under 10 disposals a game. But I can see they'd want a deeper target as well.

His marking technique is bad IMO, he’s always looking to take it on his chest rather than out in front of his eyes, so he always gives the defender a chance - especially given he struggles to out any real separation between him and them
You wonder what they’re taught at junior levels these days. I remember being told to always mark the ball out in front of you unless it’s wet/ slippery conditions. That way if the defender spoils its a pretty high chance of being a free for chopping the arms. I’m surprised the coaches don’t pull them up on this. A lot of players in most teams do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we draft so many players with confidence issues?

His marking has been really average, but he's shown in the past that his marking can be really strong. Goes through so many peaks and troughs.

At least when he gets the ball in his hands he makes something happen

Why do we draft so many players with confidence issues?

His marking has been really average, but he's shown in the past that his marking can be really strong. Goes through so many peaks and troughs.

At least when he gets the ball in his hands he makes something happen
Do they have the confidence issues when we draft them?

I guess we could drop him and play the Gollant or Himmelberg types.

We could go from our second tall forward averaging a goal a game to averaging 0 goals and having Tex double teamed

He's still clearly best 22 and we know he's best is good enough so a good team would work to get him back there

Well thats dramatic.

In no way am I advocating dropping FOG for Himmelberg, but I don't think we would lose too much based on FOG's form over the past 22 games.

For the record Himmelberg played 22 games between 2021 and 2023 and kicked 22 goals with zero continuity. Fog has kicked 25 goals in the last 22 games he has played.

Well thats dramatic.

In no way am I advocating dropping FOG for Himmelberg, but I don't think we would lose too much based on FOG's form over the past 22 games.

For the record Himmelberg played 22 games between 2021 and 2023 and kicked 22 goals with zero continuity. Fog has kicked 25 goals in the last 22 games he has played.
Fog has a bigger ceiling though and much more hurt factor per given disposal. Would also be interested to know the goal assists between them, because I think Fog would clean up Himmelberg in that department, with much better passes by foot.

There is also the issue of us now having Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar who are doing more grunt work around goals in the last 1-2 years. So individual goal performances are harder to achieve in the past 12 months compared with 2021 when there were less skilled forwards to compete with.

I think we’ve got to stop cutting him some slack. It’s obvious the talent is there but at some point you have to start being a consistent contributor. He’s 25 and in his 7th year. When is it gonna happen?

I think we need to start considering what his worth in a trade is and whether that’s a path worth pursuing.

Yep, we should trade him and if Tex is injured or retires our forward line would be... uh...

Fogarty is currently not offering anything that Burgess, Gollant, Himmelberg or any average plodder we could pluck from the rookie draft/delisted free agency pool. His place in the team is justified by the odd flashes of brilliance he is capable of but we need more than that if he is going to be the guy to take over from Tex.

Well thats dramatic.

Thilthorpe has kicked 18 goals in his last 22 games and Himmelberg 23 goals in his last 22

No need to worry about bringing Thilthorpe back from injury, we've already got a better player right here!

Fogarty is currently not offering anything that Burgess, Gollant, Himmelberg or any average plodder we could pluck from the rookie draft/delisted free agency pool. His place in the team is justified by the odd flashes of brilliance he is capable of but we need more than that if he is going to be the guy to take over from Tex.

We just saw Fogarty and Gollant play in the same match so we know that actually the Gollant types can't just replace him

Yep I’m sure they would have hit up that spot kick
Let’s just give him a few weeks with our new found game plan before we go too early.
Remember how Tex has looked.

Back