Preview Rd: 6 - Dogs @ Saints, Marvel Stadium, 7:30pm Thursday 18 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Going by muppet head’s presser this morning, Garcia and Harmes probably in this week, if that’s the case, Garcia, Harmes and West should be rotated all game through the CBs and even try Richards in there and Dale full game on a wing. Try something different ffs

Honestly what’s the issue? Harmes & Daniel are premiership players and Garcia has been playing great.

We aren’t talking about Hannan & McComb here.
I'll never understand the magical value that people attach to "premiership players". In Harmes case he started on the bench. In Daniel's it was 7 years ago. If the term had any real meaning then Fletcher Roberts would still be our Full back. Sure, Harmes and Daniel are an upgrade on Hannah and McComb, but the fact is that neither has been able to cement a position in a side that is spluttering more than Donald Trump during one of his rallies.

As Ive mentioned Garcia deserves his chance.

Losing Libba is going to make things hard.

Hopefully we bounce back, and the boys who come in lift to cover the absence of their vice-captain.

I hope Bevo shows some faith in his veterans rather than the newbies who keep turning in consistently mediocre, low initiative, performances.

Out: Libba (inj), Baker, Gallagher, Sanders (sub).
In: Garcia, Harmes, Daniel, Dale

And if we seriously want to win,

Out: Khamis or JOD In: Lobb.
Shifting Naughton to CHB (not forever, just till we get our mojo back.)

Last edited:
I'm just glad we get to find out on Wednesday rather than wait till Friday for the full team.
I like innovation as much as the next bloke but announcing a team on Wednesday that is playing on Thursday, whilst traditional and arguably conservative, is probably the right call at the moment.

I don't think we as a society are ready or mature enough yet to handle Friday team announcements for games that have been played the night before.

Happy for Garcia and Harmes to be named. Garcia in particular has earned it. I hope he gets a genuine midfield role.

Garcia has never played genuine mid at senior level. Bevo has a tendency to promote players into roles they have NOT been playing in the VFL.

Lets hope this time a bloke who has a form-line of successive weeks in the best as a mid in the VFL, actually plays that same role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Baker, Libba, Sanders (back to sub)
In: Garcia, Harmes, Dale

FB: Khamis, Jones, Bramble
HB: Richards, JOD, JJ
C: Dale, Macrae, Gallagher
HF: West, Naughton, VDM
FF: Weightman, JUH, Darcy
R: English, Bont, Treloar
Int: Duryea, Williams, Garcia, Harmes
Sub: Sanders

I like innovation as much as the next bloke but announcing a team on Wednesday that is playing on Thursday, whilst traditional and arguably conservative, is probably the right call at the moment.

I don't think we as a society are ready or mature enough yet to handle Friday team announcements for games that have been played the night before.
I’d wager this is something Bevo has toyed with.

Losing Libba is going to make things hard.

Hopefully we bounce back, and the boys who come in lift to cover the absence of their vice-captain.

I hope Bevo shows some faith in his veterans rather than the newbies who keep turning in consistently mediocre, low initiative, performances.

Out: Libba (inj), Baker, Gallagher, Sanders (sub).
In: Garcia, Harmes, Daniel, Dale

And if we seriously want to win,

Out: Khamis or JOD In: Lobb.
Shifting Naughton to CHB (not forever, just till we get our Mojo back.)

Rookie here. Been reading a lot of posts.
I am right onboard with some of your thoughts but I think we need to keep putting games in to the Colonel and Oasis.SO...

English to ff-this is his preferred position but Naghton beat him to it and then knocked him out. The cause of all the problems in the current playing group. English had actually complained before the incident that Astro was reckless. English now won't play in the forward line if Naghton is there. Naughton felt really bad and has changed his approach but English won't forgive him. Naughton has been resigned. English will leave. But playing him at full forward, his best position could change this if Naughton goes to Chb.
Anyway, on to the rest of the selection changes... Lobb in to ruck. Marra to chf. Darcy swapping with Lobb, Marra and English off the bench.

Naughton chb. Play only one of JOD or Khamis at BP. Stick with Khamis for now unless Saints field triple towers.

Drop Dale, Williams For form. Senior players playing like bit parters. Libba out injured.

So, out Dale, Williams, JOD, Libba (inj).

In Garcia, Lobb, Harmes, Clarke. Baker to sub.

B Duryea, Jones, Khamis
Hb Richards, Naughton, Johanissen
C Bramble, Garcia, Sanders
Hf Weightman, Ugle-Hagen, Vandermeer
F West, English, Clarke
R Lobb, Bontempelli. Treloar
I Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Gallagher
Sub Baker.

Also, good to play English at fullforward because Marra will go to Sydney. Other players already strongly suspect or know this.

English to ff-this is his preferred position but Naghton beat him to it and then knocked him out. The cause of all the problems in the current playing group. English had actually complained before the incident that Astro was reckless. English now won't play in the forward line if Naghton is there. Naughton felt really bad and has changed his approach but English won't forgive him. Naughton has been resigned. English will leave. But playing him at full forward, his best position could change this if Naughton goes to Chb.

Also, good to play English at fullforward because Marra will go to Sydney. Other players already strongly suspect or know this.

So Naughton and English hate each other, and JUH gone?

Well I guess the Hocking brothers played together for years without speaking. And Don Scott didn't speak to any team-mates late in his career. Then there's Edwards and Macleod at Adelaide.

So this sounds legit. Someone should tell them to stop liking each other's SM posts though... detracts from the "feud"...

Rookie here. Been reading a lot of posts.
I am right onboard with some of your thoughts but I think we need to keep putting games in to the Colonel and Oasis.SO...

Anyway, on to the rest of the selection changes... Lobb in to ruck. Marra to chf. Darcy swapping with Lobb, Marra and English off the bench.

Naughton chb. Play only one of JOD or Khamis at BP. Stick with Khamis for now unless Saints field triple towers.

Drop Dale, Williams For form. Senior players playing like bit parters. Libba out injured.

So, out Dale, Williams, JOD, Libba (inj).

In Garcia, Lobb, Harmes, Clarke. Baker to sub.

B Duryea, Jones, Khamis
Hb Richards, Naughton, Johanissen
C Bramble, Garcia, Sanders
Hf Weightman, Ugle-Hagen, Vandermeer
F West, English, Clarke
R Lobb, Bontempelli. Treloar
I Darcy, Harmes, Macrae, Gallagher
Sub Baker.

Interesting suggestion re: English and Naughton.

One big problem I have with your team though, and it is the same problem as last week's team only worse. It is simply too young and inexperienced. Meaning we have too many passengers who expect to be carried, at least partially, by the senior blokes.

If the opposition gets the game on their terms for any period. The young guys, go back into their shell, stop pulling their weight, and the whole game plan goes to hell.

At this stage, Gallagher can only really be expected to deliver about half the output of a top end senior player. Same goes for Sanders, VDM, Baker, Bramble, Garcia, Clarke and Khamis.

That puts us down ~4 times a decent player's output compared to a top team at full strength. Which means if any of our senior players have bad nights as they did last Friday, we are in a world of hurt against even middle of the road teams. I don't care greatly which ones get dropped so long as we reduce our load of likely passengers.

We have some great top end players, but they can only carry so much.

It's clear Sanders will become a good player, but he's not there yet. So far, he has looked both slow and nervous, which isn't great for a smallish midfielder. I'm happy to have him come on as the sub this week, otherwise a VFL game might be a nice reality check. Gallagher has done pretty well but only in brief stints and is at the level of a player who comes in and out of the side, based on need and form.

Similar with Bramble, Baker and VDM. Baker had a poor game last week hence my suggestion he get dropped.

Based on VFL form Garcia definitely should come in.

I can easily see Bevo just bringing in Harmes for Libba and running the same midfield rotation with Jacko. Not that Harmes hasn’t put his hand up but we’ve got a possible 23 year old Libba replacement in Garcia who’s belting down the door.

It would be a damn shame if he isn’t called up and given at least half of his minutes in the centre square to see what he’s got.
Garcia is the future and as well or better performed than Harmes. Just have to bring him in and back him in as an inside starting mid, to see if he is going to make it as a Libba replacement.
Would bring in Harmes as well for either Gags or Sanders just feels more likely Gags for a rest potentially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back