Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite only being built in the 1970s, the Pratt Stand wasn't in the greatest state of repair, so I'm not surprised it was totally bulldozed. It would seem modern grandstands have a limited use by date.

They’re already talking about replacing The Great Southern Stand/The S.K. Warne Stand which is just on 30 years old.

I read that recently. Spectators have much higher expectations of their sports arenas these days hence why suburban grounds like ours just won't cut it anymore.

Pfft, give me a grassed area and wooden benches any day. I think I'm now an angry old man lamenting the lack of soul. Piss off the drunk assholes though. That was never a good thing.

Reckon I'd trust 30yo materials & workmanship over the 'slap-together cheapest possible building materials & labour' these days
Comsidering they are spending over a BILLION dollars on a stand that will hold 50,000 people, I think its safe to say it will be built to very high standards.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Pfft, give me a grassed area and wooden benches any day. I think I'm now an angry old man lamenting the lack of soul. Piss off the drunk assholes though. That was never a good thing.
Fighting was much easier on the terraces than what it is with everyone seated, as were verbal stoushes. Mind you I wasn't one of the fighters, but definitely enjoyed a good verbal stoush.

Dropped into headquarters today to splash some cash in the Carlton shop and see if Vossy needed any help with selection on Thursday night.
Vossy politely declined but mission accomplished in the shop.
Risking life and limb for the cause, I managed to steal a few snaps of the ongoing constructions progress (see below).
Once you get your head around the fact that it is no longer an AFL venue but primarily a training and administration venue, it’s starting to take shape and will be very impressive upon completion.
Unfortunately, my photos don’t do the project justice but I’m sure most will be impressed when they lay their eyes on it in person …

DDB95847-7F8B-4EC8-B10A-A47009529D97.jpeg
7FA3B654-80F8-4911-AC78-F9DC69A1D26A.jpeg 1AD27C2C-0DB3-47F9-A3FF-5C0CBFA4F04F.jpeg
828504D8-EDD5-4E62-8B2D-E1E5220444D0.jpeg
C79C9285-2A4E-4B4E-B930-9EA4847576B1.jpeg
55A8465C-22E8-4DA2-9FB3-C2F22BDEF6A5.jpeg
1EF24323-AFCF-4995-B8D3-4786B6589C94.jpeg
1A737BC6-0B45-4FB7-ABD4-7644524EA55E.jpeg

Speaking of angry old men, you'll be fighting with me in a second if you don't issue an immediate retraction and apologise for spelling 'arseholes' incorrectly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of angry old men, you'll be fighting with me in a second if you don't issue an immediate retraction and apologise for spelling 'arseholes' incorrectly.

I was going for the less nasty version and didn't want to incur the filter's wrath.

But sure ... let's fight!

Old Man Fighting GIF by Laff

I am giving this thread a bump. I had some questions elsewhere...

• I had a quick look and best I could see is that our seating capacity is around 21,000. Is that correct? What will it be after development is finished?
  • Is Gardiners Stand still in use? Are there plans to do something with it, given its heritage status? Could we at least give the roof a paint? (BTW, I also think Gardiner Stand is worth restoring)
  • Does anyone know of a Masterplan for sites beyond current (stage 2) development?
  • Will we have the premier oval in VFL competition once stage 2 is completed?

• I had a quick look and best I could see is that our seating capacity is around 21,000. Is that correct? What will it be after development is finished?
  • Is Gardiners Stand still in use? Are there plans to do something with it, given its heritage status? Could we at least give the roof a paint? (BTW, I also think Gardiner Stand is worth restoring)
  • Does anyone know of a Masterplan for sites beyond current (stage 2) development?
The Gardiner stand is heritage listed, which is why it remains untouched. Seems a waste to me, but others may disagree. I'm not sure how seating capacity stays at 21000 when we've just demolished a few thousand in the Pratt stand without them being replaced.

The Gardiner stand is heritage listed, which is why it remains untouched. Seems a waste to me, but others may disagree. I'm not sure how seating capacity stays at 21000 when we've just demolished a few thousand in the Pratt stand without them being replaced.
I can't see why we can't at least paint the Gardiner Stand roof to give it a bit of a lift... I'd like to know what overall Masterplan of sites is (including ideas on Heroes and Legends Stands).

I reckon we are blessed to have Ikon Park in the Princes Park precinct, and I'd love to see Gardiner Stand restored (with modernisation of seats etc as can be done according to heritage guidelines) to honour the past and look forward to the future. As posted elsewhere, here's a glimpse of what's possible

Gardiner Stand is worth restoring. Check Brunswick Street Oval to see what it could be.

View attachment 1392302

Gardiner Stand is part of a "Heritage Overlay". The club has committed to restoring it, admittedly that was a previous iteration. I hope they are still on that trajectory. See the photo of the Brunswick St stand for how it should look. I think it would be an amazing experience to sit in one day again.

On March 22nd, 2018 the Heraldsun reported that the Blues had a $50m masterplan that included a 22,000-seat stadium transformed with elite women’s facilities and retractable light towers. The plans included
  • the Pratt Stand would be knocked down.
  • The 109-year-old Gardiner Stand would be preserved given its heritage listing and historical significance.
  • Ikon Park would house facilities for the AFLW and VFLW teams and allied health facilities.
  • The 21-year-old Legends Stand would remain to ensure the ground was ideal for AFLW and JLT games.

There are plans for spending money on the Gardiner stand, but a little ways in the future, after the new development is finished.

There are plans for spending money on the Gardiner stand, but a little ways in the future, after the new development is finished.
I'd love it to be done up, and then for an opening, playing a pre-season 'heritage game' with an old rival (not *), with old style jerseys, people wearing their old Carlton gear, plus bringing out the premiership cups, and making it a real family day, celebrating our past. We are Carlton.

All the lattice work hanging from the roof in the stand is what makes it heritage listed according to someone from the club (a few years back when I was doing some work there).

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Back