Preview 2022 Round 9 vs Hawthorn, MCG, May 14th, 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond vs Hawthorn, Round 9

Richmond and Hawthorn, the two juggernauts of the 2010s. With six premierships of the last nine between us, one might expect this to be a matchup of the ages. Unfortunately, neither team is at the heights they once were, with our eras of dominance well and truly over.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 5.43.46 pm.png
ID: Richmond Premiership Captain Trent Cotchin with three premiership cups.

r0_0_3000_2077_w1200_h678_fmax.jpeg
ID: Hawthorn Premiership Captain Luke Hodge with three premiership cups.
Or are they?

After struggling to get going this season, the Tigers have managed to steady the ship after two wins on the trot, the first time we’ve had back-to-back wins in almost a year. Do the Tigers have the drive to take one last swing at another premiership, or have we fallen into mediocrity? I think we’re going to find out over the next few weeks. With our draw opening up from here, the next two games become absolute must-win matches. At 6-4 we can have a free hit at the Swans, then get to work in the second half of the year.

With the Hawks sitting 12th on 3-5 and still finding their feet under new coach Sam Mitchell, this is a game we should – and must – win. With three losses in a row, however, they will be keen to show the footy world that they’re building in the right direction, meaning they shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Yellow and Black vs Gold and Brown

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 5.46.10 pm.png
ID: The Richmond Tigers and Hawthorn Hawks logos beside each other.
The year I finished high school was the year Hawthorn won its last premiership – 2015. Wouldn’t you know it, my favourite teacher in Year 11 and 12 was a die-hard Hawthorn supporter. Mr O taught history, and my friends and I adored him for being down-to-earth and just a generally chill dude. Of course, it was hard not to be jealous of his team constantly winning premierships, while my beloved Tigers continually lost elimination finals.

There was a shining light, however. While Hawthorn dominated the competition in their golden years, Richmond managed to snatch a couple of good wins over them. In 2015, on the verge of Hawthorn’s three-peat, Brett Deledio kicked three goals in the first quarter to lead Richmond to a stunning victory, delivering Hawthorn’s 5th loss of the year. And you better believe I milked that for all it was worth. The next week, I strutted into my history class early and draped a beautiful Richmond scarf over Mr O’s chair, much to his irritation.

Since 2017, we’ve played pretty well against Hawthorn, although to be fair we played pretty well against everyone from 2017–2020. Of our last seven matches, it’s been five wins, one loss and one draw in favour of Richmond. This, of course, includes the first-ever final between our clubs, being the Qualifying Final in 2018, from which we emerged victoriously. And who could forget this beauty?

https___prod.static9.net.au___media_2018_09_06_22_03_dustyy_env.jpg
ID: Dustin Martin kicks a brilliant goal from the boundary in Richmond's Qualifying Final win over Hawthorn.​

And that draw? Undoubtedly the most incredible draw I’ve ever seen, with Shaun Burgoyne and Alastair Clarkson denied a final victory thanks to five goals in a row from the Tigers, including two from Jack Riewoldt in the last minute.

Would it have been a poetic ending to Silk’s career for him to have touched a last-second goal before it crossed the line, securing victory in his final game? Absolutely. But we’ve always enjoyed ruining a footy fairy tale or two. Besides, we had David Astbury to play for.

And so, despite having very similar team colours, Richmond and Hawthorn have quite a colourful recent history.

Will this week prove that we are simply two giants past their prime, or will Richmond take another step toward proving the doubters wrong and set up for one last crack at it? Lose this, and it’ll be hard to argue we are anything more than mediocre in 2022.

The GOAT is back and has shaken off the rust and TheLoungeLizard is going for another bold premiership prediction in 2022, so I’ll tip Richmond by 21 points.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Mansell
IN: Vlastuin, Prestia

I have no idea who goes out for Prestia (if he’s ready). McIntosh, Pickett, Soldo and even Castagna all bring something to the team.
  • Pickett and McIntosh have games where they basically own the wing.
  • Castagna gets to good places in our forward line. It’s just his conversion that sometimes lets him down and it hasn’t been that bad this year. Besides, removing him makes our forward line too tall IMO.
  • Soldo provides Nankervis relief in the ruck.

I would have said Edwards, but he’s starting to pick up from his quiet start. A good Edwards adds a lot to our side so it may be worth persisting with him too. E

It’ll be interesting to see what we do.

OUT: Mansell
IN: Vlastuin, Prestia

I have no idea who goes out for Prestia (if he’s ready). McIntosh, Pickett, Soldo and even Castagna all bring something to the team.
  • Pickett and McIntosh have games where they basically own the wing.
  • Castagna gets to good places in our forward line. It’s just his conversion that sometimes lets him down and it hasn’t been that bad this year. Besides, removing him makes our forward line too tall IMO.
  • Soldo provides Nankervis relief in the ruck.

I would have said Edwards, but he’s starting to pick up from his quiet start. A good Edwards adds a lot to our side so it may be worth persisting with him too. E

It’ll be interesting to see what we do.

Hawks light on in the ruck department. Be interesting to see if we think trying to dominate them with the combo or try and play a bit quicker by dropping Soldo. If Callow second rucks for Hawks Balta can easily cover him.

Out: Mansell, Edwards, Soldo, Castagna (can dream) In: Vlastuin, Prestia, Sonsie, (Stack) Two rucks not required and Soldo's output isn't going to be missed. Edwards can have a rest, Sonsie needs to be rewarded and given a taste.
Soldo doesn't get big numbers but we play better with him in the team. Nankervis plays better, the forward line looks better without Balta in it and the backline looks better with Balta back there.

I'd love to see Cumberland debut for Castagna but Hardwick always pumps him up when asked so I can't see him getting dropped.

Soldo doesn't get big numbers but we play better with him in the team. Nankervis plays better, the forward line looks better without Balta in it and the backline looks better with Balta back there.

I'd love to see Cumberland debut for Castagna but Hardwick always pumps him up when asked so I can't see him getting dropped.
soldo was like a giraffe on roller skates on the weekend

……. And so, despite having very similar team colours, Richmond and Hawthorn have quite a colourful recent history.
…..
Great preview until this!

💩💩 🤢🤮

1652144061809.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back