Autopsy Round 14, 2022: St.Kilda v Essendon *SPUD'S GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m talking off the field. I have also said we have been poor since Adelaide and that is why I couldn’t believe the arrogance that we just win last night. Essendon have slowly improved and we have slowly gone backwards.

I've been suggesting that we shouldn't be signing Ratts for this very reason. Just keep our powder dry. Winning papers all sorts of cracks.

The weakest argument that comes up everytime is that our club does too many charity events and it distracts the team from playing football. As if they have the mental capacity of toddlers who can only focus on one thing at a given moment
I think it's every big game we have issues.

Good Friday, Multiple ANZAC day games in NZ, spuds game, any Friday night game.

All of them have one thing in common. We play badly on the big stage.

If we can't handle these games then we won't handle a finals series.

No they certainly wouldn’t. We do jump on players. He isn’t going great but he is going better than Ryder.
Marshall must be injured -he has no spring and no timing with his marking -its almost a surprise when he grabs one -the biggie for me is the difference between our best and worst-you just have no clue what to expect not only from week to week but in the game itself -

What does kick outs working look like?
There are no free players within kicking range from beyond 15 metres of the goal line.
Are you annoyed that he kicks long up the boundary to where the talls are stationed and the talls don't mark it out bring it down to advantage?
He takes forever and does the same thing. It’s predictable. And when there’s 5 minutes left and need to move the ball quickly it’s counterintuitive.
He’s not a good kick of the ball, so why is he doing it?

Curnow is having a great year but the delivery he gets compared to our guys helps a lot. McKay is not miles in front of King IMO. King is averaging 2.6, McKay 2.7, Curnow 3.0, Higgins 1.9, Membrey 1.3 but playing further away from goal. When played close to goal he's good for about 2.5 a game.
Again I didn’t say one or the other was better. As a group they are better. One has already the goal kicking and the other will probably win this year. I can’t believe we are discussing it.

I think it's every big game we have issues.

Good Friday, Multiple ANZAC day games in NZ, spuds game, any Friday night game.

All of them have one thing in common. We play badly on the big stage.

If we can't handle these games then we won't handle a finals series.
How many of those were because we were a bottom 6 side playing a top 4 side though?

Seems like a stretch to say we can't handle the big stage based off those match-ups when a lot of those games were ones we were little to no chance of winning if they were playing at 4:40pm on Sunday.

He takes forever and does the same thing. It’s predictable. And when there’s 5 minutes left and need to move the ball quickly it’s counterintuitive.
He’s not a good kick of the ball, so why is he doing it?
He is clearly the longest kick in the backline. Also you don’t want your back to far from the goal because if it’s turned over the forward is on a smaller player.

Yep the Crows if they kicked straight we lose

It not as bad as you and I think BUT its nowhere nears as good as a few on here think

We need to replace Ryder we have no idea putting it into forward 50 and our mids are workman like at best

With Steele in we look okay but Ross, Crouch and Steele are probably too much of the same. Gresham is the only high impact mid at the moment. I think Dunkley, Taranto or Brayshaw make very good sense. We should have chased Brodie or Lipinski as depth last year. Both would have pushed a player out on this years form and made a huge difference to our time without Steele. Bytel has been a real disappointment IMO. His time was now. Jones is like his down games at the moment with none of the peaks.

Curnow is having a great year but the delivery he gets compared to our guys helps a lot. McKay is not miles in front of King IMO. King is averaging 2.6, McKay 2.7, Curnow 3.0, Higgins 1.9, Membrey 1.3 but playing further away from goal. When played close to goal he's good for about 2.5 a game.
Have said it since the 1st game our forward line should be King Sharman Membrey

Coaches out smart themselves to often (Battle Wing )
4 games 10 goals 19 marks last year Sharman
we are so predictable in the forward 50 and are killing King they just ran off him so often last night and stood there with hands on hips

With Steele in we look okay but Ross, Crouch and Steele are probably too much of the same. Gresham is the only high impact mid at the moment. I think Dunkley, Taranto or Brayshaw make very good sense. We should have chased Brodie or Lipinski as depth last year. Both would have pushed a player out on this years form and made a huge difference to our time without Steele. Bytel has been a real disappointment IMO. His time was now. Jones is like his down games at the moment with none of the peaks.
Okay midfields wont win you finals or flags

I've been suggesting that we shouldn't be signing Ratts for this very reason. Just keep our powder dry. Winning papers all sorts of cracks.
I still haven’t heard your cracks regarding his coaching. Everyone has theories on our game plan but if I asked 10 people I reckon we would get 10 different versions. It’s bloody hard for supporters to understand game plans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of those were because we were a bottom 6 side playing a top 4 side though?

Seems like a stretch to say we can't handle the big stage based off those match-ups when a lot of those games were ones we were little to no chance of winning if they were playing at 4:40pm on Sunday.

We did have our best year when we had no crowds or atmosphere.

I still haven’t heard your cracks regarding his coaching. Everyone has theories on our game plan but if I asked 10 people I reckon we would get 10 different versions. It’s bloody hard for supporters to understand game plans.

It looks like it's hard for our players as well. We look like we don't have a system at the moment. We are less predictable but we look like we randomly run around then put in 10 minutes effort and turn to shit again.

It's going to make me a pariah but having a round that is basically a memorial for a player and club figure is a terrible way to get players up for a game. Even the commentators were saying that there was a weird vibe in the match early on.

Yeah, I said the same thing after last years match. Being reminded for weeks leading up about any mental demons you might have or mates lost, and again in the pre-match.... it's not great.

I'm all for the cause, but maybe the players should be in the football bubble and not get so involved. It's hard to get up for a fight when you're being brought down for weeks.

Maybe the players should do all the promo stuff during the pre-season. It quite a coincidence the manner of our capitulation during this round.

He is clearly the longest kick in the backline. Also you don’t want your back to far from the goal because if it’s turned over the forward is on a smaller player.

Lienert was a weapon off HB with his piercing kicks. It would be worth having him in for Webster or Paton for that alone.

Have said it since the 1st game our forward line should be King Sharman Membrey

Coaches out smart themselves to often (Battle Wing )
4 games 10 goals 19 marks last year Sharman
we are so predictable in the forward 50 and are killing King they just ran off him so often last night and stood there with hands on hips

The dropping it on his head would be about the dumbest and most predictable thing in footy. At least when Butler used to get out the back we had a second avenue to goal.

The dropping it on his head would be about the dumbest and most predictable thing in footy. At least when Butler used to get out the back we had a second avenue to goal.
He and Marshall just lead so deep into pockets

Which when you have a midfield that is poor and refuses to use the corridor or isn't allowed to use the corridor just compounds it

Lienert was a weapon off HB with his piercing kicks. It would be worth having him in for Webster or Paton for that alone.
You love a good kick. He provides nothing but kicking and moving not convinced he can play on anyone. Harsh on Webster. Was nearly best last week. And him and battle are probably our two hardest players.

I feel like we have all been shagged by the club big time last night

Feel all dirty after doing the walk of shame back to the car last night
I feel for my missus when we play like that ( particularly with the delightful banter you get from opposition fans after a loss ) given she is usually in full regalia with nowhere to hide ... it's that feeling that you need to get out of the precinct while the oppo yobs are hoping to see their team sing the song, so that you're almost up Bourke St to the carpark before they leave the bar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 14, 2022: St.Kilda v Essendon *SPUD'S GAME*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back