Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

He has played at that level for 8-10 games. If we are paying 800k for that small a sample size we are idiots. The days of overpaying players is over, people either want to play here or they don't. We shouldn't have to over pay to keep someone here anymore. We've built a better club than that.
Charlie Cameron’s on $750k. Just for comparison’s sake.

It’s a bit ridiculous speculating on what we can afford to pay as none of us know the state of the books. But if you are going to over pay anyone it’s Touk and then it’s Isaac. He is a star, he sometimes looks like he is playing a different sport out there. And he knows it, he breeds believe through the whole team. There has been no one with his type of charisma in this club. And he is only scratching the surface.
He is a once in a generation player!
Geez I’d chip in 20 grand if it was legal and make the slightest bit of difference haha.
Pay him, and make it as long a deal as possible. With some players u just know and I have never been this sure about any sun ever. He will lead us to a premiership!

Charlie Cameron’s on $750k. Just for comparison’s sake.
Charlie signed a 4 year 700k deal when he first came across from Adelaide

Rankine will be averaging more Goals per game, more scoring shots, more goal assists, more effective disposals and more score involvements than Charlie did in the year he was traded.

If the roles in that scenario were reversed and Adelaide managed to keep Charlie for 800k (I understand he didn't leave for money), do you think they would be upset based on his improvement since then and his output the last few years?

I think Rankine will make AA in the next 2 years and will be a 40+ goal a year small forward for a long time to come, whether he's with us or Adelaide, and I'll be pissed off if we cant find a way to keep him.

Last edited:
I understand the argument and people will say that's where GWS went wrong but let's not forget the Giants made five finals series over six year period which included a grand final, two prelims and two semi finals. That has to count for something, doesn't it?
They are also paying 4 different players 1mil per year on long deals. Kelly, Whitfield, Coniglio and Greene, none of who have been particularly good this year.

Our cap isn't that bad and 700 - 800k for players like King, Rankine, Touk, Anderson, Rowell etc. is all fair value.

Charlie signed a 4 year 700k deal when he first came across from Adelaide

Rankine will be averaging more Goals per game, more scoring shots, more goal assists, more effective disposals and more score involvements than Charlie did in the year he was traded.

If the roles in that scenario were reversed and Adelaide managed to keep Charlie for 800k (I understand he didn't leave for money), do you think they would be upset based on his improvement since then and his output the last few years?

I think Rankine will make AA in the next 2 years and will be a 40+ goal a year small forward for a long time to come, whether he's with us or Adelaide, and I'll be pissed off if we cant find a way to keep him.
You’d want to hope he’s producing better than CC’s out put now, if you’re paying him more than what CC is on now.

Well we can't really hand out jobs to family members if said family doesn't live in the state. Can't really hand out cars since we're not sponsored by a car manufacturer. All we can do if ask the AFL for "ambassador" money and hope. At the end of the day we aren't a big Victorian club so we don't get the benefits of one. If Rankine leaves so be it, we did our best to convince him and if Adelaide want to pay a small forward 800k then fantastic.
Rankines uncle becomes a part time SA Suns scout ;)

You’d want to hope he’s producing better than CC’s out put now, if you’re paying him more than what CC is on now.
Thats not the question though

Would you be annoyed if you had to pay Charlie Cameron 800k currently? because I don't think many Brisbane supporters would

Do you think Adelaide would be annoyed if, to keep Charlie in 2017, they had to pay him 800k knowing how good he's become? again I dont think they would.

Rankine is a generational talent, a gamechanger and has all the makings of a genuine superstar. I would be very very okay with offering 800k for 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not the question though

Would you be annoyed if you had to pay Charlie Cameron 800k currently? because I don't think many Brisbane supporters would

Do you think Adelaide would be annoyed if, to keep Charlie in 2017, they had to pay him 800k knowing how good he's become? again I dont think they would.

Rankine is a generational talent, a gamechanger and has all the makings of a genuine superstar. I would be very very okay with offering 800k for 4 years.
Sounds like we had our chance and he wanted to stay but our pissing around allowed other clubs to provide godfather offers

You snooze you lose and our contracts team seem to be asleep at the wheel.

Izak isn't worth 800k.
Essendon reportedly offered him $800K so the media just assumed this was also offered by the Crows since we are supposedly in the "box set". Rumour is Port Power offered him $750K with them initially chasing him and Rankine inquired about the Crows who offered him below that so likely around $700K.

Last edited:
it appears as though earlier this year when we were sorting our King/Luko/etc. we had an amount set aside for Rankine given his form to this point plus a bit more for if he hit his stride (which he did). However, those figures were still nowhere near the 800k mark. I don’t think any small forward is worth that much, but fair play to him to take the most that’s on offer if that’s what he does.

Given all our talent, we were never going to be able to keep them all, but it’s going to hurt losing any of them, as they are all looking like stars. We aren’t in a position to be able to overpay everyone though (yes our cap still looks pretty f*cked with some of the players still earning what they are)

I totally get that we can't afford to become GWS.
And retaining Rowell, Anderson, King would be priority.

BUT..

Izak is a gun.
He has been awarded coaches votes in 8 out of 16 games he has played this year.
Match winners don't grow on trees.

I'd seriously consider matching whatever he is being offered IF he is considering of leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

Back