2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an optimist, if dusty wants to come to the suns I'd be happy for it. Would I chase him no. But if he wants to come it would be good for the club as long as his salary is the equivalent of what we were offering rankine and we only cough up 1 1st round pick maybe with a 3rd thrown in.
Last night he was clearly underdone I'm sure he can get back to some much better footy but the only query would be on his mental health and if we can keep him out of the spotlight and ensure his bad boy ways don't influence the kids.
Dusty is a salary dump, nothing more. He's got 2.5mil due over the next two seasons and Richmond would rather use that money for Taranto/Hopper/Bruhn/etc. If he is genuinely interested in coming to the Suns I still wouldn't give them a first unless they paid at least half his salary, and they probably wouldn't want to do it.

IMO he would retire if he wasn't due so much money, even for a wealthy guys that's a lot of money to give up.

I actually really hope we get Martin. He was brought in last night still injured, so I don’t really care about last night. He was looking seriously dangerous in his last game of the H&A season before he got injured again. The warm weather might be good for the body, and being able to walk down the street without Melbourne nuffies getting in your face would be a refreshing change.

I can’t help but imagine our crowds if he comes up and plays good footy.

Downside is obviously the cash, but I’d be happy to see us give away a decent pick if it meant Richmond pay a decent wedge.

Downside is obviously the cash, but I’d be happy to see us give away a decent pick if it meant Richmond pay a decent wedge.

And how many more dodgey videos are people sitting on waiting for another opportune time or $$$ to release. Same risk with clubs looking at De Goey.

Are we strong enough as a club yet to take the gamble? 🤷‍♂️

And how many more dodgey videos are people sitting on waiting for another opportune time or $$$ to release. Same risk with clubs looking at De Goey.

Are we strong enough as a club yet to take the gamble? 🤷‍♂️
Would rather risk it and find out. Genuine match winner. Better an overpaid Dusty than Flanders Macpherson Sexton Davies and the list goes on.

At some point as a club you need to take big risks, and if you think Dusty touching a strippers **** is going to ruin the culture of the footy club, we’re probably a pretty fragile footy club anyway. we’re in a different universe to the days of the clubs culture issues when Bennell was caught racking up

Agree with most of this except the TT part. Flogging a dead horse with Clarkson there.
There's still a bit to play out yet.

Jason Johannisen - seriously Yeets?

Thank Christ you are nowhere near our recruitment or salary cap team.
JJ was cooked 2 years ago.
Bloody Hell - I'd rather Josh Schache came back up - at least he's free.

I know Josh - really nice guy, that's the trouble - too nice - more mongrel and he kicks 40+ a year. He would be a nice get for North or Adelaide maybe.

I hope he can still have a decent career, but he is in a bit of trouble to stay on the list at the kennel. I hope he does.

Yeets - Where on earth are you finding the money to pay Martins salary?

As for JJ - you really want to take this guy..

1662093286170.png
Yup - that's 9 disposals a game, less than 2 marks and 0.8 goals.

Schache looks like an All Australian in comparison!

1662093429985.png

As for Tom Phillips -

1662093854450.png

I'd suggest - having seen him play live and not just made shit up - he's pretty durable,and works damn hard.

Not good enough for Gold Coast Suns - but the two weakest short-steppers in the AFL - Lukosius and Sharp are?

I'd suggest Phillips would be easily good enough to run the wing for us.
No idea if any questions have been asked though.

But no,lets pursue Dustin Martin and JJ....

Seems a few posters just want 'famous' players - not competent footballers.

Haven't we been down that route before?

Would rather risk it and find out. Genuine match winner. Better an overpaid Dusty than Flanders Macpherson Sexton Davies and the list goes on.

At some point as a club you need to take big risks, and if you think Dusty touching a strippers **** is going to ruin the culture of the footy club, we’re probably a pretty fragile footy club anyway. we’re in a different universe to the days of the clubs culture issues when Bennell was caught racking up

If we want to take 'big risks' - throw multiple draft picks and salary dump our 'fringe' players on blokes with 10 yrs in front of them - not cooked 31 year olds on massive wages.

James Jordan, LDU - these are the future stars of the game. Throw a bundle at them - not Dustin 'chopsticks' Martin.

I know Josh - really nice guy, that's the trouble - too nice - more mongrel and he kicks 40+ a year. He would be a nice get for North or Adelaide maybe.

I hope he can still have a decent career, but he is in a bit of trouble to stay on the list at the kennel. I hope he does.

View attachment 1497197

View attachment 1497200

As for Tom Phillips -

View attachment 1497209

I'd suggest - having seen him play live and not just made s**t up - he's pretty durable,and works damn hard.

Not good enough for Gold Coast Suns - but the two weakest short-steppers in the AFL - Lukosius and Sharp are?

Agree on lukousoius, probably the softest player in the competition, I don't get the appeal. On Martin, the risk is worth it if the AFL would put in some marketing money and Richmond dip in a few hundred k. You don't write off champions, the change of environment could reignite him, plus of course for an expansion club you can never underestimate one of the biggest names in Australian sport putting bums on seats, so it's an investment in club exposure in that sense too.

If does comes to us and we only have to pay 600-700k out of our cap that’s a win.

Dusty will take so much pressure off our forwards and as mentioned take the best defender.

Do we really want to see Blokes like starcevich Maynard locking down on Ainsworth/Rosas?

So what difference does it make if Dusty goes to Sydney or Brisbane?

Opposition coaches have to decided to put their best defender on mccarthy Cameron or dusty imagine that problem

Our young forwards need help, if it’s dusty or someone else on the market.

Rankine is a huge loss and we need an X factor player to play finals.

Geelong - Cameron danger stengle Hawkins
Melbourne - Trac fritsch Pickett
Sydney - papley buddy Warner gulden
Collingwood - Ginnivan Elliott pendles daicos x2

Suns - ??? Anderson and Hollands?? Cmon we need X factor

That’s why I’m keen on Sheezel but doubt that’s happening

View attachment 1497197

View attachment 1497200

As for Tom Phillips -

View attachment 1497209

I'd suggest - having seen him play live and not just made s**t up - he's pretty durable,and works damn hard.

Tom Phillips is a ****ing cat. Atkins stats looked good before he came here, but I called that a shit deal before we did it, and I see no difference with Phillips. I'd spew if we went after him.

Yeah agree with losing rankine we not only lose his x factor and goal kicking but we really lack decent kicking in our forward half to set up goals. Probably where our interst in thomas stems from also. Dusty not only has x factor and kicks goals but brings others into the game also. I'm all for it but not at the huge salary he is on. I guess you could look at it that its only a couple of our over paid reserves players for 1 good afl player.

If we want to take 'big risks' - throw multiple draft picks and salary dump our 'fringe' players on blokes with 10 yrs in front of them - not cooked 31 year olds on massive wages.

James Jordan, LDU - these are the future stars of the game. Throw a bundle at them - not Dustin 'chopsticks' Martin.
Not in a million years would a future star walk out of their club to join us, unless it’s on significant overs.

Cooked is a bit much, bloke has had a shocking two years off the field. And has ran into a couple injuries. It’s not like he hasn’t played at all. Gary Ablett looked absolutely cooked at 31. Went on to win a bnf at 33 and almost made the all aus team as a forward pocket when he returned to Geelong. And Gary had far worse two years than Dusty just had at the same age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Phillips is a ******* cat. Atkins stats looked good before he came here, but I called that a s**t deal before we did it, and I see no difference with Phillips. I'd spew if we went after him.

Fair enough we can agree to disagree!
Not in a million years would a future star walk out of their club to join us, unless it’s on significant overs.

Cooked is a bit much, bloke has had a shocking two years off the field. And has ran into a couple injuries. It’s not like he hasn’t played at all. Gary Ablett looked absolutely cooked at 31. Went on to win a bnf at 33 and almost made the all aus team as a forward pocket when he returned to Geelong. And Gary had far worse two years than Dusty just had at the same age.

That's my point though - rather than pay $1.6 to Martin - pay the overs to a guy with 10 yrs ahead

We have picks to burn,and enough players to dump, that this year puts us in an unique situation.

If not now - when?

View attachment 1497197

View attachment 1497200

As for Tom Phillips -

View attachment 1497209

You can't write off JJ then suggest Phillips. Jesus christ dude he is a ****ing spud

You can't write off JJ then suggest Phillips. Jesus christ dude he is a ******* spud

I haven't suggested Phillips at any time.

I just want to know what makes some of you come up with this stuff?

Spud? Based on what?

Seriously.

I've asked you where the money for martin is coming from.
I've asked you why you want JJ

Now I'm asking you why a 26yr old with 115 games (57 goals) is a 'spud'.

Based on what mate - you seem to sit there throwing shade on all and sundry, but won't answer any questions yourself.

I've seen Tom Phillips play on multiple occasions - and yes he will never be a star - but he is a model pro.

I'm just asking - in your expert opinion of watching him play- what makes him a spud?

What would keep him out of a GCS team instead of Flanders or McPherson.

Kicking?
Speed?

Courage?

And yes,I can write off a 30 yr old JJ as he seems to be affected by his latest injury. Sad,but true.

Again - why is Phillips a spud?
Why should we go after JJ?
How do we pay for Martin.

Plenty of time - I'm off to Melb / Syd - I may even 'do a yeets' and hook up with a nosebag :cool: (probably not,but the afternoon is young!)

Be well young Yeets - I'll be back later to read some pearls of wisdom.

Star Trek.gif

I haven't suggested Phillips at any time.

I just want to know what makes some of you come up with this stuff?

Spud? Based on what?

Seriously.

I've asked you where the money for martin is coming from.
I've asked you why you want JJ

Now I'm asking you why a 26yr old with 115 games (57 goals) is a 'spud'.

Based on what mate - you seem to sit there throwing shade on all and sundry, but won't answer any questions yourself.

I've seen Tom Phillips play on multiple occasions - and yes he will never be a star - but he is a model pro.

I'm just asking - in your expert opinion of watching him play- what makes him a spud?

What would keep him out of a GCS team instead of Flanders or McPherson.

Kicking?
Speed?

Courage?

And yes,I can write off a 30 yr old JJ as he seems to be affected by his latest injury. Sad,but true.

Again - why is Phillips a spud?
Why should we go after JJ?
How do we pay for Martin.

Plenty of time - I'm off to Melb / Syd - I may even 'do a yeets' and hook up with a nosebag :cool: (probably not,but the afternoon is young!)

Be well young Yeets - I'll be back later to read some pearls of wisdom.

View attachment 1497296

Jesus...

You're on your own with this conversation sir. Bordering on 17er levels of ranting.

Just cos I gave you a bit of stick about the TT stuff doesn't mean I am your enemy dude. The personal attacks can chill.

Last edited:
Second to this, if you find a single person to agree that Tom Phillips is a good player I will be impressed. Are the rest of the footy world watching the same outside seagull as you?

Well we don’t have opposition flogs coming into our trade chats anymore so we have turned to cannibalism.

Tom Phillips for the record was good but has been on a slip and slide

Usually we wait till we make a trade blunder to turn on each other 😔
It's a bit like the Scottish, if there is no one else to fight, they fight each other.

Maybe the mod's need to let the Adelaide nuffies back in so there is a mutual enemy? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back