Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was just Power ******* with Pickering
Reckon it was the other way around. Brisbane believing they'll finish higher than us. Or both teams thinking they'll finish higher.

Swaps of fourths are basically meaningless even if it's between teams that are expected to make and not make finals - we're talking territory where picks get passed on.

Between teams that are expected to finish roughly similar on the ladder, it's more than pointless.

Lions supporters believe we have been losing our s**t for 40 pages. Pretty much what we have accused them of.
Bit of a yawn the whole draft week for me. I don't see that Power did anything great other than stand his ground in a couple of deals.
We lost Schache, Cordy and Hunter for SFA. We didn't pick anyone up other than Lobb at the death knock and also lost a genuine AGrader in Dunkley.
Yeah we got a few picks, but until we get good A Grade players wanting to genuinely come to the Dogs it's all a bit meh.
Even Adz didn't want to come to us, he was forced out.
Why did Lobb nominate us?

There's obviously Bailey Smith who needs to straighten out a bit. 2020 was Bruce but that's just more that he didn't deal with the hub life and got real overweight. Bounced back hard 2021 in ripping shape and it's clear that the boys around the club love him.
I don’t know a heap but I know the club were worried on the bad influence he was having on Smith last year.

If that’s true, moving him on was for the best.
I don’t think we can blame Hunter for everything. To be honest - we didn’t look that committed across the board on field for the entire season.
Really hope Bailey Smith learns from his mistake.

It’s be disappointing if we had more widespread issues. I think the club has removed a lot of the trouble makers from 2017 onwards.

Cultural is the only thing that will get in the way of this list winning premierships.

when we won the trade period of 2020 I thought to myself: "this is nice but there will come a bleed at some point"

Having talent like Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunks, Baz, Naughton, English, JUH, Cody, Darcy, Dale and back then (no disrespect) Daniel and Hunter.. I knew we wouldn't keep all of them.

I'm sad about where Hunter's career and life has gone, that one hurts a bit. But this year mentally prepared us for the on field part of it.

Dunks though I'm happy to be the one that leaves. He's a good tackler, good mark and sneaky solid goal kicker. But he is not a creative player in congestion. He just wills it forward. That's not a super prized skill imo.

Let's hope our club's every 3 years of drama since 2014 can now end and we can just be a professional footy club that maximises its talent.

Reckon it was the other way around. Brisbane believing they'll finish higher than us. Or both teams thinking they'll finish higher.

Swaps of fourths are basically meaningless even if it's between teams that are expected to make and not make finals - we're talking territory where picks get passed on.

Between teams that are expected to finish roughly similar on the ladder, it's more than pointless.
No pickers said it was us

We’re worse at the end of the trade period than we were at the start but that was always going to be the case with Dunkley going. Think Power did as well as could be expected.

I believe our list is still strong enough to contend and we should finish higher next year than this year if our game day decisions improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depending on how likely we believe Crozier is to get a game, we might negotiate a buyout paying him a portion of his 2023 contract to allow him to either retire or hunt for a list spot as the pre-season evolves elsewhere. We shopped him around for little interest in trades.

These sorts of things typically occur if the amount you don't pay to the player is greater than a minimum amount that a list spot takes up. We have no idea how much Crozier would be owed in 2023 or if he'd be willing to retire (or the extent that we think he'll get a game for us or not), but it's happened before. We paid out Travis Cloke in a similar way.

We’re worse at the end of the trade period than we were at the start but that was always going to be the case with Dunkley going. Think Power did as well as could be expected.

I believe our list is still strong enough to contend and we should finish higher next year than this year if our game day decisions improve.
Are we? We are stronger at both ends and already had great midfield depth

It’s be disappointing if we had more widespread issues. I think the club has removed a lot of the trouble makers from 2017 onwards.

Cultural is the only thing that will get in the way of this list winning premierships.
We need strong leadership on and off field. Set ultra high standards, that everyone has to measure up to, no exceptions. It shouldn’t be left to Bont all the time, success has to be team-driven.

Maybe. But I for one am glad I don’t have to watch Schache or Khamis or the ghost of Stef Martin try and ruck at AFL level now.

English first ruck (I’m still not sold but that’s where he’ll be)
Naughton/Lobb/JUH forward
Jones plus two of Gardner/Keath/Darcy back

English can rest on the bench or forward and Lobb takes some ruck. Darcy even in the ruck for a spell, or up forward, and rotate English through defence.

It might not work out but for the first time in years we have a semblance of a spine that makes sense and gives us some flexibility. Darcy can also develop as a ruck and KPF without being thrown to the wolves. I like it personally.
We’ll see if our spine still makes sense come round one, probably be Gards & Bruce back, Naughty in the 2s and Lobb first ruck or something wacky

Shit Trade period.
Lose Hunter, Cordy, Schache and Dunkley.
Get a 32 year old a year out of the game for a year and a flaky Lobb and a whole bunch of magic beans.

Don't address our backline or leadership issues at all either.

Hope our recruiters are better than I think they are.

Last edited:
Happy with Lobb.

He will be hard to stop and also keep Naughton and Marra quiet whilst you’re at it.

With Darcy chiming in every now and again.

And we also have Bruce keeping everyone honest.

Plenty of firepower there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The implosion after 2016 is a bit depressing really. It's difficult to think that our premiership team apparently contained so many loose cannons. And this with a no DH policy? Did that team contain more than the 'average' number of bad influences, or has the club just managed it poorly on a holistic level? Hard to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back