Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Would expect all of them to be good AFL players? Given a decent injury run obviously.

In fairness I've seen Nancarrow and Lombard more, at least 5x and Walter, Read and Rogers only about 3x.

IMO Walter, Lombard and Nancarrow could be stars, Rogers a good AFL player, Read depends how he develops.

Last edited:

In fairness I've seen Nancarrow and Lombard more, at least 5x and Walter, Read and Rogers only about 3x.

IMO Walter, Rogers and Nancarrow could be stars, Rogers a good AFL player, Read depends how he develops.
Cheers, always nice to have an unbiased view.

Feel free to come back regularly and tell us how good they are :p

Zai Millane is a name that stands out.

Nephew of Darren Millane.
Zai Millane is the nephew of former Collingwood champion Darren and has taken the Suns’ attention while playing under-age football for Burleigh Bombers.

The 17-year-old is an onballer and flanker, and has shot up to 188 centimetres in the past year.

“He plays across half back, he can run off, he can lock down and he can also play on the ball. He’s a good clearance player. They swing him through the guts and through the wing. So he can do a few things.’’

Zai will make the move to Palm Beach Currumbin Lions this year to try to play senior football under his uncle.

Already taller than his uncle Darren and still has two full years of development ahead of him. Should be interesting to follow Zai's journey from here as he transitions from underage footy with Burleigh into (hopefully) senior QAFL footy with PBC.

Already taller than his uncle Darren and still has two full years of development ahead of him. Should be interesting to follow Zai's journey from here as he transitions from underage footy with Burleigh into (hopefully) senior QAFL footy with PBC.

Wonder if, if his team makes a GF and he plays in it, if his team wins the GF, will he raise both hands with the footy in one hand?

Wonder if, if his team makes a GF and he plays in it, if his team wins the GF, will he raise both hands with the footy in one hand?
Hope his family has shown him that 1990 GF. The pain Darren was in during that finals series, but he powered on to help the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few familiar names in our U18 female squad this year. Darcie and Georja Davies are of course the sisters of Giselle Davies, Jas Single is the sister of Lucy Single and Sunny Lappin (also F/D eligible for St Kilda & Carlton) is the daughter of our former assistant coach Matty Lappin. Sunny is apparently a gun and will need to make the decision between joining us, the Saints or Blues in 2025.

SIwzD3j.jpg

AFL Queensland

24m ·

Gather Round just got greater
🤩

The 2023 AFL Academy will be on show in South Australia during the four day festival of footy!
The boys will be playing an exhibition match as a curtain-closer to the Round 5 AFL game between the Brisbane Lions and North Melbourne at Adelaide Hills (Summit Sports and Recreation Park, Mount Barker) on Saturday, April 15.
Queensland talent you’ll catch in the match includes:
⭐️
Ethan Read - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Palm Beach Currumbin Australian Football Club
⭐️
Jake Rogers - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Broadbeach Cats Australian Football Club
⭐️
Jed Walter - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Palm Beach Currumbin Australian Football Club

AFL Queensland

24m ·

Gather Round just got greater
🤩

The 2023 AFL Academy will be on show in South Australia during the four day festival of footy!
The boys will be playing an exhibition match as a curtain-closer to the Round 5 AFL game between the Brisbane Lions and North Melbourne at Adelaide Hills (Summit Sports and Recreation Park, Mount Barker) on Saturday, April 15.
Queensland talent you’ll catch in the match includes:
⭐️
Ethan Read - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Palm Beach Currumbin Australian Football Club
⭐️
Jake Rogers - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Broadbeach Cats Australian Football Club
⭐️
Jed Walter - Gold Coast SUNS Academy / Palm Beach Currumbin Australian Football Club
So it's essentially another All Stars game like the one they play on the Grand Final but this time it's the AFL Academy under 18s split into two teams during Gather Round?

From memory Rogers was pretty lively in last year's U17s All Stars game and Walter was quiet by his standards. I distinctly remember Read showing off his below the knees skills and we were all pretty impressed by what we saw.

Hi all, I'm working on the 2023 Northern Academies thread over on the draft board.

Need some clarity on your Academy coaching staff. Men & Women
National Academy Manager: Tarykn Lochyer but after that I've got nothing - can someone help me out?

AFLW thread will be up shortly.

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm working on the 2023 Northern Academies thread over on the draft board.

Need some clarity on your Academy coaching staff. Men & Women
National Academy Manager: Tarykn Lochyer but after that I've got nothing - can someone help me out?

AFLW thread will be up shortly.
Don't know how up to date this is....

Good number of games in Vic for the U18 academy lads this year. The more games in the best U18 comp in the country, the better.

Does make it hard for the boys coming back to clubland, as if they are core playing members of this squad, they won’t return to local clubs until the end of May.

IMG_2904.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back