Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. Few great quotes from him in there.
Seems like a loveable guy.
It's looking pretty likely that we're going to draft Johnston tomorrow or Tuesday. I like the sound of small forward Tedcastle as well but I think he's more likely to end up on the rookie list than Johnston. Draft another two NT lads to the list and that would mean over 10% of our list will come from our Darwin academy. We don't know how long we're going to have access to NT players so I think it's important for us to draft as many talents as we can while we can (as long as they are up to the standard or have potential to reach it of course). You only have to look at some of the talents the Brisbane Bears were able to secure from their NT access back in the day (Nathan Buckley, Darryl White, Michael McLean) to realise that we should take full advantage of this while we can.

It's looking pretty likely that we're going to draft Johnston tomorrow or Tuesday. I like the sound of small forward Tedcastle as well but I think he's more likely to end up on the rookie list than Johnston. Draft another two NT lads to the list and that would mean over 10% of our list will come from our Darwin academy. We don't know how long we're going to have access to NT players so I think it's important for us to draft as many talents as we can while we can (as long as they are up to the standard or have potential to reach it of course). You only have to look at some of the talents the Brisbane Bears were able to secure from their NT access back in the day (Nathan Buckley, Darryl White, Michael McLean) to realise that we should take full advantage of this while we can.

Tedcastle is a chance to be a rookie

Don't think he comes under the Northern Zone as he played TAC Cup level after relocating to Victoria for School

Tedcastle is a chance to be a rookie

Don't think he comes under the Northern Zone as he played TAC Cup level after relocating to Victoria for School
Excuse the ignorance, but why is that any different to Sandy Brock who had relocated and was playing in the WAFL comp?

Wishful thinking but if he’s good enough then I think he’s Hawthorn bound for sure under the FS.

If Hawks are cellar dwelling and we are contending at the time you just never know. Nick Blakey.

Seems like Benny Crawford is one of the better players at Cooly and is obviously good enough to be selected for our U14s academy team so you'd have to assume he's one of the better players in his age group from our region. Hopefully he grows a bit taller than the old man because Shane was only 174cm tall and that's borderline too short for the AFL these days.

Wishful thinking but if he’s good enough then I think he’s Hawthorn bound for sure under the FS.
If Hawks are cellar dwelling and we are contending at the time you just never know. Nick Blakey.
I would have said a lot will depend on his older son (Charlie, two years older) but it would appear he isn't playing footy on the GC so perhaps Ben is the one they are eyeing off instead. From what I can tell, Ben Crawford will be draft eligible in 2026 which means, should they remain living in our part of the world, Ben will fulfil the necessary five years of living in our region to be academy eligible for us going into the 2026 draft. Even if he boards in Victoria, he'll still be academy eligible for us because the Crawfords' postal address will still be within our zone (see Caleb Nancarrow as an example). So Ben will have to choose between becoming a father-son pick for Hawthorn or being an academy pick for us. Considering Hawthorn have only just committed to a proper rebuild and it looks like we're about to open our finals window, it's entirely possible that we'll be a regular finals competitor once 2026 rolls around and Hawthorn may just be starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel in terms of a full rebuild of their list.

So I'd say we're a chance to land Ben Crawford for that reason. It's a bit like Will Ashcroft who have stayed in Melbourne by getting drafted to the cellar dweller Kangaroos but instead he was enticed by the idea of winning a flag with Brisbane and chose the Lions. Having an open premiership window genuinely makes a difference in these situations and Nick Blakey would be the best example of this when he chose elected to join 6th placed Swans as an academy player as opposed to going father-son for the 8th placed Cats or the 9th placed Kangaroos.

Blakey would be the best example of this when he chose elected to join 6th placed Swans as an academy player as opposed to going father-son for the 8th placed Cats or the 9th placed Kangaroos.

Bet he wishes he joined the Cats now…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cats?
I watched Johnny Blakey running around for the mighty Fitzroy many times.
He was father/son for Fitzroy and North, so it was the Lions he could have chosen even though he had no links to Brisbane at all (no family, no academy, no playing history in Brisbane).

Tbh, Blakey is not a good example. His father was a coach for the Swans for over a decade, including a couple of GFs and a flag while Nick was a young fella. The other clubs had no hope.

For the northern academies with father/sons from other states, suspect it will come down to family/mates/where you grew up versus your family's playing history.
And Crawf has a mighty playing history with the Hawks so we might have Buckley's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bet he wishes he joined the Cats now…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Its an interesting one.
Would he have developed/given the game time at Geelong like he has at Sydney? Given Geelong's list, he may have asked for a trade for more opportunity. Sometimes, things work out as they were supposed to.

Cats?
He was father/son for Fitzroy and North, so it was the Lions he could have chosen even though he had no links to Brisbane at all (no family, no academy, no playing history in Brisbane).

Tbh, Blakey is not a good example. His father was a coach for the Swans for over a decade, including a couple of GFs and a flag while Nick was a young fella. The other clubs had no hope.

For the northern academies with father/sons from other states, suspect it will come down to family/mates/where you grew up versus your family's playing history.
And Crawf has a mighty playing history with the Hawks so we might have Buckley's.
John Blakey also happened to be a two-time premiership player with North Melbourne and played 200+ games for them. I understand Crawford was more prolific with Hawthorn where he won a Brownlow but Blakey's career at North Melbourne isn't anything to sneeze at. The Kangaroos were a VERY good team in the mid-to-late 90s and Blakey virtually played every game for them over that period so the guy was no slouch.

It'll be interesting is to see what Luke Hodge's sons do when their time rolls around because Luke is obviously a legend of the Hawthorn footy club but he also played for and worked with the Lions. Then you consider that his sons have grown up in Brisbane and are likely apart of the Lions academy as well as the Brisbane community to some degree. I'm sure the Lions will be hoping they pick them over Hawthorn but only time will tell. As for us, all we can do is make sure our business is in order in terms of regularly competing in the finals and that will at least get these father-son prospects considering their options as opposed to the easy decision a kid like Bailey Scott had a few years ago when we were close to rock bottom.
Its an interesting one.
Would he have developed/given the game time at Geelong like he has at Sydney? Given Geelong's list, he may have asked for a trade for more opportunity. Sometimes, things work out as they were supposed to.
Blakey's draft options were Sydney, North Melbourne, Brisbane (through Fitzroy) or entering the open draft. Brisbane certainly tried to secure Blakey's services (see the 2017 father-son academy pic below) in the lead up to his 2018 draft but the Lions hadn't opened their finals window at that point in time so it was always going to be an uphill battle against the regular finals competitors in Sydney. North were also struggling to play finals back then as well so they obviously failed in their attempt to secure Blakey too but they probably weren't too concerned considering they were able to convince Bailey Scott to join them over Geelong and us which softened the blow of not getting Blakey.

CR5AgmH.jpg

is this still the Suns Academy thread?

There will be players in our academy who can choose another club (just like Bailey Scott did), so I think this is a fair enough conversation.
But probaby won't be relevant for a couple more years.
If we ever have a top 5 academy prospect who chooses to go somewhere else as a father/son or even chooses the open draft, pretty sure it will come up.

There will be players in our academy who can choose another club (just like Bailey Scott did), so I think this is a fair enough conversation.
If we ever have a top 5 academy prospect who chooses to go somewhere else as a father/son or even chooses the open draft, pretty sure it will come up.
Boston Everitt for one is coming up very quickly. Not sure he'll make it but he would have a decision to make like all the others.

Boston Everitt for one is coming up very quickly. Not sure he'll make it but he would have a decision to make like all the others.
This could be a more common occurrence than some think. In fact, if we had not sacked Marcus Ashcroft in 2017, then the list of upcoming academy players with father-son opportunities would be as follows:

2022: Will Ashcroft - Brisbane F/S (Southport)
2023: N/A
2024: Levi Ashcroft - Brisbane F/S (Southport), Joe Kennedy - Brisbane F/S (Broadbeach), Boston Everitt - St Kilda F/S (Southport)
2025: Kalani White - Melbourne F/S (Broadbeach)
2026: Ben Crawford - Hawthorn F/S (Coolangatta)
2031: Kai Rischitelli - Brisbane & Gold Coast F/S (Broadbeach), Harry Malceski - Sydney F/S (Broadbeach)

Those are just the ones I know of and there's probably more but you get the point that this is going to become something we'll regularly have to deal with.

Cats?

Blakey is the kid on the right.

Spent time in our academy every preseason as part of our father son program, as every father son kid does. 0A495B96-5CD6-4395-8CC3-D82037AC48EA.jpeg

John Blakey also happened to be a two-time premiership player with North Melbourne and played 200+ games for them. I understand Crawford was more prolific with Hawthorn where he won a Brownlow but Blakey's career at North Melbourne isn't anything to sneeze at. The Kangaroos were a VERY good team in the mid-to-late 90s and Blakey virtually played every game for them over that period so the guy was no slouch.

It'll be interesting is to see what Luke Hodge's sons do when their time rolls around because Luke is obviously a legend of the Hawthorn footy club but he also played for and worked with the Lions. Then you consider that his sons have grown up in Brisbane and are likely apart of the Lions academy as well as the Brisbane community to some degree. I'm sure the Lions will be hoping they pick them over Hawthorn but only time will tell. As for us, all we can do is make sure our business is in order in terms of regularly competing in the finals and that will at least get these father-son prospects considering their options as opposed to the easy decision a kid like Bailey Scott had a few years ago when we were close to rock bottom.

Blakey's draft options were Sydney, North Melbourne, Brisbane (through Fitzroy) or entering the open draft. Brisbane certainly tried to secure Blakey's services (see the 2017 father-son academy pic below) in the lead up to his 2018 draft but the Lions hadn't opened their finals window at that point in time so it was always going to be an uphill battle against the regular finals competitors in Sydney. North were also struggling to play finals back then as well so they obviously failed in their attempt to secure Blakey too but they probably weren't too concerned considering they were able to convince Bailey Scott to join them over Geelong and us which softened the blow of not getting Blakey.

CR5AgmH.jpg
Hodge’s boys will interesting. His eldest has already dropped Hawthorn and is an avowed Lions fan. He’s been trolling his dad on his socials about how poor Hawthorn is, and I’ve personally seen him at Lions training with his mates, wearing his Lions gear, kicking the ball back over the fence to the players.

If the Hodges stay in Brisbane, and the boys are talented enough (and Brisbane stay at top of the ladder), there will interesting times ahead.

Blakey is the kid on the right.

Spent time in our academy every preseason as part of our father son program, as every father son kid does.View attachment 1575923
In the interest of accuracy, I would like to add that John Blakey retired from North Melbourne at the end of the 2002 season and immediately moved to Brisbane with his two-year-old son Nick to take up an assistant coaching role with the Brisbane Lions. So he was a part of their premiership winning coaching staff in 2003, their grand finalist team in 2004 and even filled in as the caretaker senior coach for Brisbane in a 2005 game against the Bulldogs. The Blakey family remained in Brisbane until the end of the 2006 season when John accepted an assistant coaching role with the Swans and he moved to the Harbour city with his then six-year-old son Nick.

So I think it's unfair to say Nick had zero connection to Brisbane when he lived there for close to five years, spent time in their father-son academy program and his father coached the Lions as both an assistant and a senior caretaker as well as his Fitzroy playing connection.

Hodge’s boys will interesting. His eldest has already dropped Hawthorn and is an avowed Lions fan. He’s been trolling his dad on his socials about how poor Hawthorn is, and I’ve personally seen him at Lions training with his mates, wearing his Lions gear, kicking the ball back over the fence to the players.

If the Hodges stay in Brisbane, and the boys are talented enough (and Brisbane stay at top of the ladder), there will interesting times ahead.
This is what we're hoping will happen for us as well when these father-son prospect come through our academy. The biggest factor IMO is whether we're competing for premierships/regularly playing finals. If you're not doing that then you virtually have no chance of keeping these juniors.

In the interest of accuracy, I would like to add that John Blakey retired from North Melbourne at the end of the 2002 season and immediately moved to Brisbane with his two-year-old son Nick to take up an assistant coaching role with the Brisbane Lions. So he was a part of their premiership winning coaching staff in 2003, their grand finalist team in 2004 and even filled in as the caretaker senior coach for Brisbane in a 2005 game against the Bulldogs. The Blakey family remained in Brisbane until the end of the 2006 season when John accepted an assistant coaching role with the Swans and he moved to the Harbour city with his then six-year-old son Nick.

So I think it's unfair to say Nick had zero connection to Brisbane when he lived there for close to five years, spent time in their father-son academy program and his father coached the Lions as both an assistant and a senior caretaker as well as his Fitzroy playing connection.

This is what we're hoping will happen for us as well when these father-son prospect come through our academy. The biggest factor IMO is whether we're competing for premierships/regularly playing finals. If you're not doing that then you virtually have no chance of keeping these juniors.
Never underestimate the appeal of Melbourne (the city) itself to a young footy player either. Although some players prefer to be out of the limelight, many more love the idea of being immersed in football’s heartland and being feted as celebrities with fame and fortune.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Back