Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weird comments in that article from Lloyd IMO. Leaving aside some injury and significant off field challenges for LDU - he was always going to take a few years to really hit his stride due to his style and body type.

Weird comments in that article from Lloyd IMO. Leaving aside some injury and significant off field challenges for LDU - he was always going to take a few years to really hit his stride due to his style and body type.
not really, he was just doubling down on his comments he was thebest junior he saw. this way he comes across as being accurite regardless if LDU succeeded ( his initial comment) or failed ( norths poor development) .

An explanation would be handy. Apart from the first half of last year when he probably didn’t get enough midfield minutes, nothing obvious stands out in the 4 years. Injuries apart.

not really, he was just doubling down on his comments he was thebest junior he saw. this way he comes across as being accurite regardless if LDU succeeded ( his initial comment) or failed ( norths poor development) .
Oh I get why his ego made the comments. I just don't agree with them, no amount of club "development" is going to make him 5 years older with a body built for running a midfield as the senior centreman.

Oh I get why his ego made the comments. I just don't agree with them, no amount of club "development" is going to make him 5 years older with a body built for running a midfield as the senior centreman.
He has been showing this stuff since at least his second year. But sometimes he'd chase slowly, jogging (as opposed to JHF who stops and even then people would question him,) or trying to run but struggling, get caught trying to break tackles and spin thru them and generally not get away with stuff. But he'd succeed enough you could see it and say wow. (That vid GR posted of his highlights v Brisbane in early 2019 is full of that stuff.) To his credit he kept doing those things, trusting that he would grow into them.

Now he chases like a demon and runs both ways like few players I've ever seen. He breaks those tackles or steps and spins thru them and he does all the things he'd show occasionally all the time. This guy is gonna be so good if he stays fit. He'll be the one they compare generational players to. He'll be in that tier of 21st century mids that includes GAJ, Dusty and very few others.

A few people here have been saying imagine how good he's gonna be when he grows into a mature AFL midfielder. And its sposed to take three full seasons to get properly match fit and hardened.

Well now we're seeing it.

Leading Teams co-founder Ray McLean on cancer battle, joining Alastair Clarkson at Kangaroos​

Ray McLean is an exalted figure in modern AFL history. The leadership guru is back working alongside an old ally at North Melbourne after battling stomach cancer and sepsis, writes DANIEL CHERNY.

Daniel Cherny

3 min read
April 6, 2023 - 12:00PM
Ray McLean battled health issues before a call came from Alastair Clarkson about North Melbourne.

Ray McLean battled health issues before a call came from Alastair Clarkson about North Melbourne.

Things got pretty dicey last year for Ray McLean.

The Leading Teams co-founder was working with Hawthorn when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Forget trying to scaffold a winning culture at the rebuilding Hawks, McLean was up against it just to stay alive.
needed surgery and chemo and all that sort of stuff,” McLean says.

“[Then] I had sepsis. I guess at one stage I almost didn’t get back to work, or life for that matter.”

By this point McLean had been working with football clubs for three decades, since establishing his game-changing organisation in the early 90s.

The lore of Leading Teams consultancy is legendary, from the famous 360 degree feedback sessions to the cultural shifts at Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney, all of which preceded premierships.
At one stage or another, McLean or his colleagues had worked with just about every AFL club, not to mention netball, NRL and cricket sides.

There weren’t necessarily that many more boxes left to tick. But his health dramas led McLean to recalibrate. And then came a call from an old ally: Alastair Clarkson.

Clarkson made it clear he wanted McLean to help North Melbourne rebuild. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

Clarkson made it clear he wanted McLean to help North Melbourne rebuild. Picture: Paul Kane/Getty Images

“Through the year he contacted me and asked if he went back into coaching, would I be interested in going along?” McLean says of that contact from Clarkson.

“Clarko and I had worked together at Hawthorn.

“The conversation just continued from there.

“I was still at Hawthorn (at the time).”

There was a point of difference too. North Melbourne wanted Leading Teams to work not only with Clarkson and the football department, but with the rest of the club too. In the past McLean’s influence had crept towards club administration, but never had such reach been so formalised.

North Melbourne president Sonja Hood and Clarkson gave Leading Teams a clear remit. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

North Melbourne president Sonja Hood and Clarkson gave Leading Teams a clear remit. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

“The real attraction for me was that having spoken to Clarko and (president) Sonja (Hood), this real push to have a whole of club inclusive approach, I found to be really exciting,” he says.

“I thought that was pretty innovative really.

“You always weigh up things personally as well. I’d been unwell, that gives you a real check on life.”

Hawthorn and Leading Teams reviewed their partnership at the end of the season, before parting ways. McLean – who had sought to assist the ultimately doomed coaching succession plan between Clarkson and Sam Mitchell in 2021 – says Mitchell and his team had been incredibly supportive during McLean’s health battle.

“It was a matter of weighing up in my mind which option to consider. And we went from there. I thought it was a really sensible way to get through things,” McLean says.

So McLean is this year a regular visitor to Arden Street. He says Clarkson hasn’t substantially changed since they first worked together, but that his approach has been tailored towards a developing group.

Clarkson has tweaked his approach but the four-time premiership coach’s fundamentals remain unchanged. Picture: Steve Bell/Getty Images

Clarkson has tweaked his approach but the four-time premiership coach’s fundamentals remain unchanged. Picture: Steve Bell/Getty Images

“I don’t think his fundamentals around coaching and that sort of thing have changed much,” McLean says.

“I would have thought that when he walked into the Kangaroos though, there was a level of patience and understanding about where we are and where we’ve got to get to.

“He reads people and groups well.

“Him coaching Hawthorn when they were at the peak of their powers, that certainly would have been a bit different to what you see now.”

The same can probably be said of Leading Teams. While the methods may have shifted to evolve with a different generation of sportsperson, the essence of the firm’s work remains the same.

“Being able to empower and engage people, that’s still the challenge. You want everyone at the football club, no matter what role they play, to feel that they’re contributing to the broader club’s success.

“That part hasn’t changed. How we go about it … there’s been lots of different changes.”

He says that Leading Teams remains somewhat misunderstood, perhaps because its more striking elements have captured disproportionate attention over the years.

McLean met with Sydney players on a pre-season camp in 2003, helping craft the culture that led to the drought-breaking 2005 premiership. Picture: Adam Pretty/Getty Images

McLean met with Sydney players on a pre-season camp in 2003, helping craft the culture that led to the drought-breaking 2005 premiership. Picture: Adam Pretty/Getty Images

“You would hear about Geelong for example, through the period there where they were fairly rigorous with their peer reviews. (People would make judgments) without knowing how the program actually works.”

And while Leading Teams has tended to come and go from clubs, he points to the organisation’s longstanding partnership with the Swans – now 20 years – as proof that it can work out from an extended period.

“I used to think (we had a shelf life), but Paul Roos was the one who convinced me otherwise. There’s such a high turnover in footy. ”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LDU's Dad died from cancer in 2021, battled it for 3 years. The boy had that black cloud hanging over his head from the time he was drafted. Very close family and Peter had a big influence on his career.

Leading Teams co-founder Ray McLean on cancer battle, joining Alastair Clarkson at Kangaroos​

Ray McLean is an exalted figure in modern AFL history. The leadership guru is back working alongside an old ally at North Melbourne after battling stomach cancer and sepsis, writes DANIEL CHERNY.

Daniel Cherny

3 min read
April 6, 2023 - 12:00PM

Things got pretty dicey last year for Ray McLean.

The Leading Teams co-founder was working with Hawthorn when he was diagnosed with stomach cancer.

Forget trying to scaffold a winning culture at the rebuilding Hawks, McLean was up against it just to stay alive.
needed surgery and chemo and all that sort of stuff,” McLean says.

“[Then] I had sepsis. I guess at one stage I almost didn’t get back to work, or life for that matter.”

By this point McLean had been working with football clubs for three decades, since establishing his game-changing organisation in the early 90s.

The lore of Leading Teams consultancy is legendary, from the famous 360 degree feedback sessions to the cultural shifts at Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney, all of which preceded premierships.
At one stage or another, McLean or his colleagues had worked with just about every AFL club, not to mention netball, NRL and cricket sides.

There weren’t necessarily that many more boxes left to tick. But his health dramas led McLean to recalibrate. And then came a call from an old ally: Alastair Clarkson.

“Through the year he contacted me and asked if he went back into coaching, would I be interested in going along?” McLean says of that contact from Clarkson.

“Clarko and I had worked together at Hawthorn.

“The conversation just continued from there.

“I was still at Hawthorn (at the time).”

There was a point of difference too. North Melbourne wanted Leading Teams to work not only with Clarkson and the football department, but with the rest of the club too. In the past McLean’s influence had crept towards club administration, but never had such reach been so formalised.

“The real attraction for me was that having spoken to Clarko and (president) Sonja (Hood), this real push to have a whole of club inclusive approach, I found to be really exciting,” he says.

“I thought that was pretty innovative really.

“You always weigh up things personally as well. I’d been unwell, that gives you a real check on life.”

Hawthorn and Leading Teams reviewed their partnership at the end of the season, before parting ways. McLean – who had sought to assist the ultimately doomed coaching succession plan between Clarkson and Sam Mitchell in 2021 – says Mitchell and his team had been incredibly supportive during McLean’s health battle.

“It was a matter of weighing up in my mind which option to consider. And we went from there. I thought it was a really sensible way to get through things,” McLean says.

So McLean is this year a regular visitor to Arden Street. He says Clarkson hasn’t substantially changed since they first worked together, but that his approach has been tailored towards a developing group.

“I don’t think his fundamentals around coaching and that sort of thing have changed much,” McLean says.

“I would have thought that when he walked into the Kangaroos though, there was a level of patience and understanding about where we are and where we’ve got to get to.

“He reads people and groups well.

“Him coaching Hawthorn when they were at the peak of their powers, that certainly would have been a bit different to what you see now.”

The same can probably be said of Leading Teams. While the methods may have shifted to evolve with a different generation of sportsperson, the essence of the firm’s work remains the same.

“Being able to empower and engage people, that’s still the challenge. You want everyone at the football club, no matter what role they play, to feel that they’re contributing to the broader club’s success.

“That part hasn’t changed. How we go about it … there’s been lots of different changes.”

He says that Leading Teams remains somewhat misunderstood, perhaps because its more striking elements have captured disproportionate attention over the years.

“You would hear about Geelong for example, through the period there where they were fairly rigorous with their peer reviews. (People would make judgments) without knowing how the program actually works.”

And while Leading Teams has tended to come and go from clubs, he points to the organisation’s longstanding partnership with the Swans – now 20 years – as proof that it can work out from an extended period.

“I used to think (we had a shelf life), but Paul Roos was the one who convinced me otherwise. There’s such a high turnover in footy. ”

Ray Mclean worked with my club 30 years ago. I found him interesting then. I can't imagine how much value he adds to a club now.

And yes, I'm old.

Blues would have to be worried / disappointed with Dow. Number 3 pick and can't get a game even with all their injuries. Out of contract this year. Wonder if we have a nibble if it's not going to cost us too much.
His grandfather Peter played for North late 50s and early 60s. I'm surprised Paddy hasn't done better. Perhaps poor development culture at his current Club!;)

His grandfather Peter played for North late 50s and early 60s. I'm surprised Paddy hasn't done better. Perhaps poor development culture at his current Club!;)
Yep, he's a BFNAAK. I recall he's said he wanted to play for us but Carlton drafted him before we could get to him.

Well it's not like he's a Silvagni :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back