State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

A fitting day to be crucified by the boys in yellow.

North Melbourne and Jesus Christ;

Both persecuted by those in power when all they were trying to do is help the less fortunate.

Ok, theory is:

We finished last last year, we aren’t getting the better umps

But it is consistent ... as long as it's against us
It’s total bullshit about having better umps. Today was so lopsided it wasn’t even funny.

If they are shit then you expect them to be shit for both sides, but anyone that thinks that was the case today is having a lend.

Or are we led to believe that pretty much every bad decision made today was just a coincidence it went against us?

I watch Cripps take on tackle after tackle and drop it, yet not get penalised once. Ben Cunnington who has no prior is holding the ball though allowing them to take a shot on goal.

This game is umpired with definite biases. Norths a small club so it’s ok to shit on them. Does anyone truly think they make half the decisions they made today if it was Collingwood players in the same situation as us?

As for Curnow, what would have made the day complete is if all four of them got down on bended knee and proposed to him.

Yes he played a good game, but there were a number of those free kicks and subsequent goals that were not deserved.

poor. Substandard poor. Literally killed my enjoyment of what was a great contest in the second half, and sone dodgy ones in the first half kept them closer than they should have been. The zurhaar non free sums up so much….
That’s the issue with the game now.

The AFL has made the game so easy for umpires to impact results and not be questioned for anything.

Today would have been a cracking contest if the game was umpires fairly and impartially.

We may have still lost, but at least we would have been presented with a level playing field to compete.

That’s the issue with the game now.

The AFL has made the game so easy for umpires to impact results and not be questioned for anything.

Today would have been a cracking contest if the game was umpires fairly and impartially.

We may have still lost, but at least we would have been presented with a level playing field to compete.
That’s the thing isn’t it. It’s hard not to be disheartened when it seems impartiality is light on when it comes to the rooboys.

That’s the thing isn’t it. It’s hard not to be disheartened when it seems impartiality is light on when it comes to the rooboys.
If your team wins or loses, you want it to be based on merit, not taken out of your hands by umpiring that was blatantly and consistently one sided.

As soon as the AFL removed any accountability for umpires to perform and the right to question them, all it did was pave the way for them to actually do whatever they like and potentially influence games if they want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What the * is a Martin Rodger? I've at least heard of most of the umps, but not him. The league can * off, giving him a prime Friday timeslot. One of the worst individual umpiring performances you'll ever see (the others weren't blameless, but still)
This bloke was getting upset from the crowd's jeers towards him. He was visibly angry late in the game when he paid a dubious free to Carlton and was setting the man on the mark. He was flushed and shaking.

If your team wins or loses, you want it to be based on merit, not taken out of your hands by umpiring that was blatantly and consistently one sided.

As soon as the AFL removed any accountability for umpires to perform and the right to question them, all it did was pave the way for them to actually do whatever they like and potentially influence games if they want.
I get the point they make about abuse and how it's so bad at lower levels that it's hard to get enough umps to cover matches because the people most likely to be attracted to the role don't want to cop the sh!t from players and spectators so it's completely reasonable to have rules that prevent abuse or threatening behaviour. On the other hand, players have the right to question why a decision was made against them and clubs ought to be able to make honest criticism if there is justifiable reason and evidence.

Nobody watching today's game thought it was umpired well. It might have been just three or four poor / inexperienced umpires or there might be something else going on - who knows? But everybody who saw the match knows it was poorly umpired and the decisions were unduly lopsided. The club has to be able to call that out.

It's a disgrace that a 4 goal margin could be considered by reasonable people to be questionable as a result of umpiring decisions. The AFL have to fix this. The typical idiocy of the organisation has attempted to fix it but in fact they've made it worse.

You put it perfectly: If your team wins or loses, you want it to be based on merit, not taken out of your hands by umpiring that was blatantly and consistently one sided.

The Zurhaar death-stare at the umpire was a thing of beauty.

But I fully expect the AFL to make this a form of umpire dissent moving forward. And Carlton to start their next game with a free kick in the goal square just for good measure.

I get the point they make about abuse and how it's so bad at lower levels that it's hard to get enough umps to cover matches because the people most likely to be attracted to the role don't want to cop the sh!t from players and spectators so it's completely reasonable to have rules that prevent abuse or threatening behaviour. On the other hand, players have the right to question why a decision was made against them and clubs ought to be able to make honest criticism if there is justifiable reason and evidence.

Nobody watching today's game thought it was umpired well. It might have been just three or four poor / inexperienced umpires or there might be something else going on - who knows? But everybody who saw the match knows it was poorly umpired and the decisions were unduly lopsided. The club has to be able to call that out.

It's a disgrace that a 4 goal margin could be considered by reasonable people to be questionable as a result of umpiring decisions. The AFL have to fix this. The typical idiocy of the organisation has attempted to fix it but in fact they've made it worse.

You put it perfectly: If your team wins or loses, you want it to be based on merit, not taken out of your hands by umpiring that was blatantly and consistently one sided.
The problem is there is no longer any accountability to actually umpire the game properly.

I agree that we need to move past the abuse stuff, but that doesn’t mean that as a professional sport umpires that performed at the level we saw today, should be immune from criticism.

It’s very simple, do better! You are paid to do a job so do it properly.

We weren’t talking about 1 or 2 poor decisions today. We were talking about multiple decisions that miraculously only impacted one of the two teams on the field.

I have never seen any positivity on Whirlpool towards North (apart from blackshadow of course) but in their AFL thread today the great unwashed of Whirlpool are pretty much all saying that we were crucified by umpiring. That's the first time I've ever seen multiple messages supporting North on that site. I don't post on the footy thread due to the abuse it causes, for no reason other than being a North supporter.

This bloke was getting upset from the crowd's jeers towards him. He was visibly angry late in the game when he paid a dubious free to Carlton and was setting the man on the mark. He was flushed and shaking.
****ing happy to hear it. Though no doubt we'll now get him every second week, with a newly added chip on his shoulder

Remove this Banner Ad

State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back