Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought that I read about her cancer b4 they came to port... 🤔🤨 Either way doesn't matter just wish Mr and Mrs fin the best and pray for a miracle.
From recollection, she had been sick for a while with nothing diagnosed. He needed help in caring for her, hence the call to move closer to her mum in SA. GWS were understanding of their situation, and made the move easy for them. The cause of her illness was then diagnosed once they were in SA

Just had my 2 year scan after bowel cancer and thankfully clear, but hits close to home every time I see this story as shows how it can spread so easily. Absolutely devastating for a young family. Breaks my heart that she knows she wont get to see her daughter grow up unless some miracle cure comes up.

I always thought that I read about her cancer b4 they came to port... 🤔🤨 Either way doesn't matter just wish Mr and Mrs fin the best and pray for a miracle.

She gave birth in August 2021, moved to SA in October and was diagnosed in November. Sadly now in her own words it is about "managing the cancer" to the extent that any stage four cancer can be managed.

Diagnosis with cancer is a scary, devastating event for anyone obviously. But when symptoms that are thought to be post partum related, after a joyous event, turn out to be symptoms of cancer which quickly becomes terminal it is absolutely heartrending.

Just had my 2 year scan after bowel cancer and thankfully clear, but hits close to home every time I see this story as shows how it can spread so easily. Absolutely devastating for a young family. Breaks my heart that she knows she wont get to see her daughter grow up unless some miracle cure comes up.

My Uncle is undergoing chemo for it right now. Best of luck to you moving forward.

Last edited:

My understanding was it came almost immediately upon moving. They came to SA because she has family here and was either pregnant or trying to get pregnant so the family support would be welcomed. Almost immediately afterwards she got cancer. Part of the details Finlayson previously spoke of was it all happening at once between having their first child, moving, and then getting the diagnosis.

My understanding was it came almost immediately upon moving. They came to SA because she has family here and was either pregnant or trying to get pregnant so the family support would be welcomed. Almost immediately afterwards she got cancer. Part of the details Finlayson previously spoke of was it all happening at once between having their first child, moving, and then getting the diagnosis.
It was "discovered" when she moved, but she had been crook in Sydney long before the baby was born. But she had her colonoscopy cancelled 18 months earlier during the Covid mayhem. Then she fell pregnant, had the baby, and 3 months later moved to SA ... then 10 days later the cancer was discovered when she had the colonoscopy. In her words by then it was "soooo progressed."

Finlayson revealed that she originally thought her symptoms were postpartum pregnancy-related because 'I had nothing else to compare it to. I had no friends that had babies either ... All I had was Dr Google, which is never a good idea."

The 27-year-old was meant to have a colonoscopy in March 2020 but that was delayed until November 2021 due to Covid - with the delay proving crucial 'Jeremy actually made a joke about me having to go to the toilet way too often [and] that we would need to drive around with a portaloo.'

She also revealed she was meant to have a colonoscopy in March 2020, almost 18 months before finally having the test - but that was cancelled due to Covid. '[It was] so frustrating because [the tumour] was, like, sooooo progressed,' she said.

The 27-year-old began treatment for her lung cancer on March 14. 'It was always stage four, but now it's terminal. Obviously, life expectancy can be longer, like they haven't given me a "like you've got six months to live make the most of it" sort of thing,' she explained shortly before the treatment began.

A lot of football people scoffed when he was named an elite player during his GWS stint. But in all seriousness he is severely underrated in the AFL. Can play anywhere and has impact when needed.
Much respect for him now considering what he is going through with his wife's terminal illness.

A lot of football people scoffed when he was named an elite player during his GWS stint. But in all seriousness he is severely underrated in the AFL. Can play anywhere and has impact when needed.
Much respect for him now considering what he is going through with his wife's terminal illness.

The weird thing is the knock on him was his 2nd efforts according to the GWS supporters when he was traded. Was always an elite kick and handy mark, just lazy (apparently). Has been anything but since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson shoulders the burden

Coach Mark Williams, was so inspired by the former vice-captain's [Michael Wilson's] effort, he awarded him a once off coach's award. "Only once in my 10 years of coaching have I handed out a coach's award. I gave it to Michael at the end of the 2004 season," Williams said.

"He played with shocking injuries that both needed surgery at the end of the season, after playing most of the season including the finals and grand final. "

1682704857433.png

How Jeremy is on track for his best season overall is beyond me given the circumstances. Already there are three wins we would not have enjoyed (two against quality clubs) without his efforts.

Whatever Ken Hinkley has done right or wrong, he OWES it to Jeremy to pull out that once in a decade coaches award and engrave his name on it now. Or a once off club award so we can all show our appreciation of what Jeremy, and Kellie, are selflessly giving to the club when we all understand they could be forgiven for spending every possible second together. He is literally playing his heart out.

Great news for you. Wishing you top health into the future.

Genuinely amazing how this bloke is having a career best year in his circumstances. If he'd said he was sitting out the season I wouldn't have held it against him one bit, but not only is he playing at all, he's playing brilliantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jeremy Finlayson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back