Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
McDonald (7), Fritsch (7) and van Rooyen (6) with 20 disposals between them for a total of 3.3 from 69 inside 50s is a below optimal return from your forward targets

They’ll * it up.
Joe Daniher will win them a prelim and then do something spectacularly stupid in the Grand Final

Pies played so well for a half then totally forgot how to play after that.

Melbourne will rue this one for years to come played poorly bar Gawn and still nearly won. The lack of composure was unbelievable the Pies literally had wrapped the presents for Melbourne they just dropped them when they were given them.

This finals series is wide open anyone could win it all teams have issues

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back to back straight sets for the dees looming large now
More so in my in opinion if it’s the Swans. Their recent history against them particularly at the G speaks for itself.

Underwhelming football all round.
Tight finish but the first 3.5 quarters was complete dross and the last half quarter was only interesting to see if the Demons could finish the comeback.

Neither team will be lifting the cup if that's their September standard.

Maynard getting rubbed out for 2 weeks would be the funniest.
Gets blocked in the 18' granny only to lose it and now could miss this one trying to smother a ball.
Something about Collingwood players and not getting Premierships just feels right.

Maynard getting rubbed out for 2 weeks would be the funniest.
Gets blocked in the 18' granny only to lose it and now could miss this one trying to smother a ball.
Something about Collingwood players and not getting Premierships just feels right.

Collingwood would probably go to court (or threaten to) arguing that their bye next week counts as a game for the purposes of a two week suspension.

Feel like Maynard deserves weeks just for the fact that he turned his body and went with the shoulder. Why not just go front on, fall into him, and you both get up?? He’d already missed the smother, so it’s not like he was impacting the contest anyway. Reckon he knew what he was doing. I think the outcome (which is a shit way to adjudicate things) will impact the decision, even if it shouldn’t.

Feel like Maynard deserves weeks just for the fact that he turned his body and went with the shoulder. Why not just go front on, fall into him, and you both get up?? He’d already missed the smother, so it’s not like he was impacting the contest anyway. Reckon he knew what he was doing. I think the outcome (which is a s**t way to adjudicate things) will impact the decision, even if it shouldn’t.
Why do drivers about to crash in an accident almost always swerve to the right and kill their passengers?

The answer is 'self-preservation' and it's wired into our brains.

Maynard couldn't have possibly altered his action in the split-second he had, his mind made him protect himself without realising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do drivers about to crash in an accident almost always swerve to the right and kill their passengers?

Maynard couldn't have possibly altered his action in the split-second he had, his mind made him protect himself without realising.
Not sure if it was a situation that he needed to “protect” himself. Brayshaw wasn’t really moving towards him, was kicking, and was on the ground, he could’ve easily just fallen into him, or even just landed two feet on the ground (which would’ve made him fall onto him anyway due to his momentum) they weren’t both running full tilt into a contest where he had to brace for impact. I reckon the “footy act” narrative is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure if it was a situation that he needed to “protect” himself. Brayshaw wasn’t really moving towards him, was kicking, and was on the ground, he could’ve easily just fallen into him, or even just landed two feet on the ground (which would’ve made him fall onto him anyway due to his momentum) they weren’t both running full tilt into a contest where he had to brace for impact. I reckon the “footy act” narrative is a bit of a stretch.
Honestly, looks like he didn't even collect him with much force to begin with.

Reminded me of the amount of contact Paddy McCartin had, where he gently laid his head on the ground and got concussed.

If he gets suspended it'll be outcome, not action, based.

Poor presser from Goodwin.

Pots Maynard then gives JVR a free pass.

Says Melb played the right way for 3/4. Jesus if that connection between the mids and forwards is the right way to play footy I'd hate to see the wrong way.

Glad they lost. Straight sets next week.

Pots Maynard then gives JVR a free pass.

Says Melb played the right way for 3/4. Jesus if that connection between the mids and forwards is the right way to play footy I'd hate to see the wrong way.

Glad they lost. Straight sets next week.
Melbourne's forward line is complete trash. Nothing to look forward to and if they can't get a real KPF in the next year or 2, their window is done.

Yes, the whole pile on that is going on now with "footy act" doesn't sit well with me.

The natural instinct in that situation is to use your arms to brace, grab the shoulders and fall into them [in this case Brayshaw] without malice - it's not like the speed of impact had any genuine chance of causing Maynard harm if he had put his arms out to brace.

Instead, with possession long removed from the area, he turned in the shoulder to deliberately increase the impact of the collision - if he had hit shoulder or chest, we'd all be hearing great bump - but he made contact with the head after deliberately choosing to engage the use of his shoulder.

It's not a "footy act" - it's a head-high bump due to sneaking in a cheap-shot which went too high after missing a smoother.

I hate Maynard and feel really bad for Brayshaw but seeing the incident and the speed of AFL I would have protected myself the same way. Does protecting yourself that way likely increase the potential for injury to the opponent? Yes

But the just and smother are a football action, protecting yourself in the best manner possible on the way down is just common sense to me.

But then again i am an old bastard and white line fever was 100% a thing for me.

Yes, the whole pile on that is going on now with "footy act" doesn't sit well with me.
Talking about “footy acts”, James Sicily is awarded HTB for a tackle and gets suspended 3 weeks.

This was worse than that (I’m not saying it should be 3 or even 2), but the campaign to help Maynard get off began the second the incident happened.

My god he’s had some shockers this year. The Brodie Grundy “…he’s at a club that really values what he brings to the table” presser aged like Milk. Not to also mention the one regarding Finn Magginess not wanting the football, despite only having 1 less possession than Oliver. Has been a disaster in the press room this year

Atleast that probably slams the door shut on any chance of melbourne trying to trade up for pick 1. 32 more inside 50s and couldn't get the job done, their forward line is far from premiership standard and if they have any sense they'll use their top picks trying to fix that, instead of selling the farm for Reid.

How is it that every other player in the entire game can attempt smothers and not concuss a player and yet maynard can?

He launched forward off the ground and turned his body and collected him high. He's as good as cooked.

I hate Maynard and feel really bad for Brayshaw but seeing the incident and the speed of AFL I would have protected myself the same way. Does protecting yourself that way likely increase the potential for injury to the opponent? Yes

But the just and smother are a football action, protecting yourself in the best manner possible on the way down is just common sense to me.

But then again i am an old bastard and white line fever was 100% a thing for me.
Its confusing times. When will it be reckless for a player to line up and kick as Brashaw did when contact is anticipated? It will be an intersting week. Lets have 100 replays but I didn't think Maynard turned his body to any significant extent. More front on shoulder contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back