Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
How exactly do picks move with bidding?
If GC needs 24, 26 + 27 to match the Walter bid.

Do their picks 30, 34, 36 etc move up 2 spots in the order, meaning they have more points for later bids on Read & Rogers? Or do these subsequent picks retain their points value as at start of draft?
They move up 2 places and thereby increasing their points

Damn, really thought he wouldn't match.

Pick 17. Sydney Swans
Archer Reid 203cm,

I was desperate for a KPD, but alas couldn't get one of any note.
I'm slightly reaching here, but no one I really love left and draft is quite even from here so I've gone positional need.

I love Archer Reids dual position status as a forward/ruck. At 203cm and with the way he moves will be a very handy pinch hitting ruckman. Forward he's be a tad inconsistent, A grade one week to quiet the next. Sydney are great at developing their young and I'm very confident they'll get the best from Archer.

Good on the lead, and contested grab just needs to work on his consistency.

Project him to be ready to go in 3 years, few years developing at VFL level.

Other consideration: Mitch Edwards

With the first pick of night 2 at 19, West Coast take... what's that? they don't have pick 19? It's now 30? Oh shit OK then, Adelaide take a bit of a reach and grab a strong kicking defender in Arie Shoenmaker. Write up later
Hook461123

North Melbournes plan for this pick was to get drunk on a friday night and then make a selection.

Considering the needs for talls with these picks and now that both Murphy and Archer Reid are off the table. With pick 20 North Melbourne select Will Green.

North will be looking for someone to partner Xeri and Will Green looks the best of the available talls. He has elite endurance with a 6.34 in the 2k, which places his amongst some of the best midfielders. He has good skills and great ruck craft. He's mobile, has clean hands and is pretty good in the contest.

I considered the WA boys here in Collard, Tholstrup and Hardeman but I felt Will fills a need on the list better.

1699019308352.png

Thanks Rookie Me Central

Miguel Sanchez your up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Pick 22 North Melbourne select Lance Collard 180cm/75kg

An extremely talented small forward who has been likened to Shai Bolton and Bobby Hill. Lance really showed of his talent in the last two finals for Subiaco colts with back to back 5 goal hauls. He is lightning quick, great in the air and dangerous when the ball hits the ground. He's full of excitement and x factor which North fans (all 3 of them) will love. He adds a new dimension to the North forwardline and has a good knack of getting goalside inside 50.
He was 1st overall in the National combine agility testing and 4th in the 20m sprint. He also ran a 6.32 in the 2k to show he has some endurance to go with the speed.

This is a tough one. What this shows is that list wise, North really should take Curtin at 3 or they are going to be desperately hoping that Murphy makes it through to 20. I'm looking for a key defender in the 20-25 range and if both O'Sullivan and Murphy are off the table it is a bit of a reach to the next tier KPD's.

So to round out the 5 first round selections. With pick 23 North Melbourne select Riley Hardeman 188cm/75kg.
The WA captain will have the added benefit of helping with the transition for Collard. Riley is a good intercept defender who reads the play well and delivers well on his left foot. He has a great footy iq and leadership qualities which are badly needed inside Norths defensive half. He is fast and can provide dash off the half back line while also having the ability to play taller then his 188cm. He is a good solid all round defender that will provide consistency and dependability in defense.

and the moment you've been waiting for, your up ArdentEagle

This is a tough one. What this shows is that list wise, North really should take Curtin at 3 or they are going to be desperately hoping that Murphy makes it through to 20. I'm looking for a key defender in the 20-25 range and if both O'Sullivan and Murphy are off the table it is a bit of a reach to the next tier KPD's.

So to round out the 5 first round selections. With pick 23 North Melbourne select Riley Hardeman 188cm/75kg.
The WA captain will have the added benefit of helping with the transition for Collard. Riley is a good intercept defender who reads the play well and delivers well on his left foot. He has a great footy iq and leadership qualities which are badly needed inside Norths defensive half. He is fast and can provide dash off the half back line while also having the ability to play taller then his 188cm. He is a good solid all round defender that will provide consistency and dependability in defense.

and the moment you've been waiting for, your up ArdentEagle
He went to bed the poor campaigner.

He'll be dreaming of this

So with 5 picks I got.
McKercher - best mid available
Duursma - Harley Reid lite
Collard - X factor small forward
Green - Best ruck available
Hardeman - Solid general defender
Not a bad haul but was hoping for at least one of either Murphy or Reid to be their at 20.

Well, as this is the midnight honesty circle, I wanted either Caddy or Murphy with my pick. I thought Caddy was going to slip.

I did consider going rogue and taking someone who may or may not be at my pick at 38, but when Windsor was still there it felt right.

Collingwood - Pick 24
Charlie Edwards (191cm and 85kgs)

Charlie was my #1 target going into the draft and I got him.
Let's be honest, the Pies list is pretty damn strong. I was asked to go for line breakers and people with high ceilings and got exactly that in Edwards. I'm actually a big fan and really hope we (WCE) pick him up in the real thing.

I was tempted by two others who have slid much further than I expected and another who I think will also be very good but in the end, Edwards wins out due to ceiling. This lad could be something special.

He's a very good size at 191cm and 85kgs for a mid. Very clean hands, good first touch, excellent burst of speed, high footy IQ and a good kick.
Upside is huge. He doesn't panic, vision is good and not bad overhead either. 6 min 20 sec in 2K trial coming off a very low base too.

Although he'll end up primarily as a midfielder, he started life down back and shows nous up forward, he has the added value of versatility as well. Did I mention he has wheels?

Please watch the vid below to get an idea. This is only scratching the surface too. Very new to midfield.

Name
DOTClubDOBPositionAgeHeightMassArmHandReachAbsVJAbsRunVJ_RAbsRunVJ_LVJ%Rank VJRunVJ_R%Rank RUN VJRRunVJ_L%Rank Run VJ L5m%Rank 5m10m%Rank 10m20m%Rank 20mAgil%Rank Agility2Kmin2Ksec2K%Rank 2kmTT
Edwards, Charlie08-Oct-23Sandringham Dragons18/5/200518.4191.18587.024.02483083053156016.9%570.0%679.4%1.12354.8%1.82664.2%3.13522.7%8.94617.0%62438480.8%

1699659884873.png

Doashuey
You're up mate

Last edited:
I’ve thought for a while now that Nth would be best off splitting pick 2 or 3 to get more in the O’Sullivan,Caddy and Murphy range rather than worrying about getting Reid.

Especially like you say if they don’t take Curtin with one of those early picks then they miss those highly rated talls by the time there teen picks come around.

Both Collard and Hardeman would be a good result for the WA clubs I’m sure they would be targets in the future to trade for.

No way will the Dogs take Sanders if Watson is on the board.

Hawks take a CHB and then draft another CHB as a father son late in the 1st? A Watson / Duursma at 4 and a father son CHB at 18 solves two issues.

North take only one tall, a ruck, with its 5 first round picks? With a list full of mids and flankers and a desperate need for tall defenders and fowards?

Hmmmmmmmm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back