Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
Pick 27 - Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco Football Club

This exciting prospect entered the year as one of the top draft prospects, but due to a number of reasons has slipped down the draft baord. I feel he will be a really good player at the next level and will add a different look to Carlton's forward half.

Personally would be stoked if he got through to Eagle's second pick at 28.

Most of my favoured players for this selection are still available, which means either you're all wrong, or I am.

Lol. What am I saying? We all know you're a bunch of nuffies. :hearts:

With that in mind, I'll base this selection around which of my options I think is least likely to make it to my next pick.

Pick 28 - West Coast Eagles - ZANE ZAKOSTELSKY

196cm, 89kg, KPD/RUC, Western Australia/Claremont

7ac804e1d1f967a64b26107a6b0ac28fd6223a14-16x9-x0y226w4347h2445.jpg

They say to be the best, you have to beat the best. And ZZ proved that applies to him by winning the medal in the Colts GF against the mighty Perth FC. My mate on commentary gushed over his performance that day, and I trust his judgement on footy, outside of the fact that he supports Freo...

ZZ is an athletic beast with a basketball background, and is a recent covert to the great game. He dominated the athletic testing at the draft combine and uses these skills on-field through dominating the air and taking intercept marks with ease. He can contribute in the ruck, though it is believed he will be more of a defender in the big leagues. He has so much upside and he will be a very interesting prospect to follow, regardless of where he goes.

He reminds me of a young Noah Balta, and I'm a big fan of what that athletic type defender brings in the modern game.

I also think it's an area we can improve, with McGovern old and never playing, Bazzo seemingly a little undersized and Edwards (in my opinion) just not up to standard.

ThePuma #9

Worst case scenario he goes at 81 or whatever that comes into-could end up 58!
No worst case is he’s playing SANFL reserves next year at Glenelg. Do think you’re right and he will get lucky and be drafted or at least get a rookie spot however most clubs are even tight for those spots as they now delist players and re rookie them.

No worst case is he’s playing SANFL reserves next year at Glenelg. Do think you’re right and he will get lucky and be drafted or at least get a rookie spot however most clubs are even tight for those spots as they now delist players and re rookie them.
Worst case for him yes. But look, if he’s still on the board when Port roll into their highest pick at 73 you’ll have to wipe the saliva off Kenny’s face and give him a cold shower as the recruiting team blurt out his name.

I'll throw in a zesty prediction that Moir will go undrafted. :straining:

Isn't he another one of Phil's "he did something really bad and I'm gonna tease you by repeatedly referring to it but also refuse to give you any details" players?

Isn't he another one of Phil's "he did something really bad and I'm gonna tease you by repeatedly referring to it but also refuse to give you any details" players?
I believe his friendship group is the concern, hence a belief he'd do better elsewhere.
He has close family in WA, I think maybe some distant relatives in Vic?

Either way, there is potential there.

Typical Geelong w***er tactics, making every Kent wait.
Wells and Mackie level s**t going on here ThePuma #9

Sorry I was having a cuppa with Dodoro. We’re looking to bring him down to the cattery to help with future negotiations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big day at the cricket for me yesterday with my under 15s getting their first win and my eldest getting his maiden ton in the under 17s (111 off 87) so I didn't get too intricate with my picks or descriptions.
Here is a run down courtesy of RMC of my last 2 picks...

Pick 19 Arie Shoenmaker
: Probably a bit over-valued at this pick but Murphey and O'Sullivan were already gone and he fills a need as a potential KPB or at very least a damaging rebound 3rd tall defender. He also has potential to be an attacking weapon and could develop as a forward- this board will love the description bolded in red below. Real Venables vibes.
SNAPSHOT: “Arie Schoenmaker possesses a lethal left boot and is among the best playmaking defenders in this year’s draft crop.”

With claims on being the game’s next ‘superboot’, Arie Schoenmaker is a prospect whose 1-wood gets a whole lot of use. The left-footed defender impressed as a bottom-ager last year, cutting his teeth down back under the guidance of eventual Tasmanian draftees Lachlan Cowan and Tom McCallum.

After featuring in the Under 17 Futures showcase on AFL Grand Final day, big things were expected of his top-age campaign. Though, an off-field indiscretion saw Schoenmaker suspended from the Devils program for 10 games, meaning he was made to start his season with Launceston in the Tasmanian Football League.

The 18-year-old quickly made up for lost ground upon his Coates Talent League return, posting remarkable numbers to earn a call up to the title winning Allies side. He impressed in two games at representative level, encouraged to play to his strengths and even showcasing his versatility with time on the wing.

Schoenmaker also rolled through the ruck in the back-end of the Devils’ season, helping them take out a maiden minor premiership and reach the preliminary finals for a second year running. Lauded for his long kicking, he participated in Fox Footy’s Longest Kick competition and rounded out a busy year at the National Draft Combine.
STRENGTHS:

• Ball use
  • Decision making
  • Kicking
  • Reading the play
  • Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Contested work
  • Defensive craft

One of the best and longest kicks in this year's draft pool, Schoenmaker has a clear favourite weapon in his arsenal. His distribution off the last line of defence is as penetrative as anyone, able to clear the 50m arc with ease and hit targets at long-range. Especially in slow play, his ability to craft switch kicks or launch over the opposition zone is a real asset.

As the season progressed, he began to search further up the field for possessions in an attempt to utilise his damaging ball use closer to goal. That thought process saw him feature on a wing in his Allies debut, but Schoenmaker also times his overlap runs well and is always sniffing around for a hand-off when teammates have a mark within 60m of goal. Gee, he can split the big sticks too.

His method is clear and repeatable, making for rebound play which bites. Though, on the flip-side, Schoenmaker is then at risk of becoming predictable and his ability to improvise has been tested. Usually a good decision maker with uncontested possessions, he tends to very much favour going by foot, and long - which is understandable.

Champion Data often isn't required to count Schoenmaker's handball tallies, as he kicked 87 per cent of the time at Coates Talent League level, and 75 per cent in the National Championships. In the latter competition, he also only registered one contested possession of a total 29 in two games.

What those numbers suggest is that Schoenmaker racks up his fair share of easy ball, but to the contrary he's also an apt interceptor. With sound reading of the play in attacking and defensive phases of the game, he often gets into good spots to impact contests - even if that means waiting down and mopping up or being the first receiver.

Schoenmaker averaged 2.5 intercept marks and 6.3 intercept possessions in Tassie Devils colours, as well as 3.1 spoils. While his ability to crash packs and extend for overhead marks can be improved, he displayed strong progression in the way of competitiveness late in the season.

For a 194cm defender with potential to play as a third-up type, enhancing that side of his game will be important. Perhaps being thrown into the ruck during the last three or four games also helped build his confidence in aerial contests. It's clear then, with so much upside and progress already made on his areas for growth, Schoenmaker is a developable prospect.

Pick 25 Taylor Goad. Bit of a reach but Adelaide need the ruck depth. He is a local and they only have 3 picks for the draft and with no opportunity to trade down, he fits a need and has huge upside.

SNAPSHOT: “Taylor Goad is a developing ruckman with terrific speed and a steep rate of improvement.”

Considering he only really committed to football in December of last year, Taylor Goad has come a long way en route to being a likely draftee. The 206cm former basketballer showed enough promise in the early stages of this season to earn a state call-up and has never looked back.

That was the moment Goad says he began to find his feet in football, going on to play a full national carnival and helping South Adelaide take out the SANFL Under 18s premiership. He also blitzed the combine testing, registering repeat sub-three second 20m sprints – remarkable given his height.

STRENGTHS:

• Follow-up work
  • Mobility
  • Rate of development
  • Size
  • Speed
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Endurance
  • Footy IQ
  • Ruck craft

While the room for improvement is vast, there is plenty to like about Goad's game. The trait which helped garner initial interest was his speed, registering a preseason 20m sprint time of 2.92 seconds. He very nearly matched it at the recent National Combine, clocking in at 2.965 seconds.

Needless to say, such results are remarkable for a 206cm player and point towards rare mobility for a player Goad's size. He beats most other rucks aerially, but can also get the better of them coming away from the contest. Once he lifts his endurance and positional smarts, he'll really be able to hurt the opposition around the ground.

Another area of great promise is Goad's follow-up work. He's a competitive tall who gets stuck in at the contest, averaging 7.8 contested possessions and 3.2 clearances among his 10.4 disposals at SANFL Under 18s level. With clean hands and enough mongrel to offer presence, he's already a step ahead of many other developing talls.

Goad's late-season form was a sign of his continued improvement. It took until Round 6 for him to hit double-digits for disposals, before earning state selection and repeating the feat in five of his next seven games for South Adelaide. His marking, clearance, and inside 50 numbers also lifted in that time.

His development extends off-field, too. Goad has put on nearly 10kg since preseason as he continues to fill out his frame, which will likely be ready for elite level exposure before his footy IQ is. In particular, he's looking to improve on his ruck craft and impact away from stoppages.

The only real athletic trait Goad will have to work on is his endurance. Getting from contest to contest will boost his overall production, and he has the dexterity to impact as a marking presence. All that will come in time and with more exposure at high levels of football.

Time to get this moving

ToastieBoy18 has melted under the pressure and is being timed out

Wedgetailed Westerner you’re now on the clock for Richmond’s first selection in this draft

Toastie can of course take Carlton’s pick at his earliest opportunity

Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner
Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner Wedgetailed Westerner

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back