Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (Matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
4. North Melbourne - Zane Duursma
5. Hawthorn - Connor O’Sullivan
6. Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders
7. Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (Matched bid)
9. GWS - Nick Watson
10. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched bid)
11. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (Matched bid)
12. Geelong - Nate Caddy
13. Essendon - Ollie Murphy
14. Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
15. Melbourne - James Leake
16. Hawthorn- Will McCabe (Matched bid)
17. Sydney - Archer Reid
18. St Kilda - Caleb Windsor
19. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
20. North Melbourne - Will Green
21. GWS - Harry DeMattia
22. North Melbourne - Lance Collard
23. North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
24. Collingwood - Charlie Edwards
25. Adelaide - Taylor Goad
26. St Kilda - Ashton Moir
27. Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

ROUND 2 :

28. West Coast - Zane Zakostelsky
24. Gold Coast Matched bid
29. Geelong - Archie Roberts
26. Gold Coast Matched bid
27. Gold Coast Matched bid
30. Carlton - Tew Jiath
31. Richmond - Will Patton
32. Brisbane - Caidyn Cleary (Bid not matched)
33. Essendon - Mitch Edwards
30. Gold Coast Matched bid
35. Gold Coast - Will Graham (Matched bid)
35. Collingwood - Angus Hastie
36. Fremantle - Phoenix Gothard
37. Essendon - Jack Delean
34. Gold Coast Matched bid
38. West Coast - Cooper Simpson
36. Gold Coast Matched bid
39. Brisbane - Joel Freijah
40. St Kilda - Luke Lloyd
39. Gold Coast (surplus from Read bid) Matched bid
41. Richmond - Charlie McCormack (Bid not matched)
41. Gold Coast (traded from Melbourne) Matched bid
42. Western Bulldogs - Luamon Lual (Matched bid)
43. GWS - Billy Wilson

ROUND 3 :

41. Hawthorn Matched bid
44. Sydney - Koen Sanchez
45. Fremantle - Logan Morris
44. Hawthorn Matched bid
45. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
45. Hawthorn Matched bid
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
46. Brisbane - Riley Weatherill
49. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
50. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
47. Sydney - Wil Dawson
47. Western Bulldogs Matched bid
48. North Melbourne - Liam Fawcett
49. West Coast - Lachie Charleson
50. Fremantle - Nathan Philactides

ROUND 4 :

51. Carlton - Joe Fonti
52. Port Adelaide - Kane McAuliffe
53. Hawthorn (surplus from McCabe bid) - Clay Hall
54. Geelong - Kade De La Rue

ROUND 5 :

55. West Coast - Shaun Mannagh
56. Geelong Harvey Johnstone
57. St Kilda - George Stevens
58. Geelong - Pass

ROUND 6 :

59. St Kilda - Will Lorenz
60. Port Adelaide - Bodie Ryan
61. Western Bulldogs
62. Melbourne (traded from Gold Coast)
62. Gold Coast Matched bid
63. Western Bulldogs - Pass
64. Western Bulldogs - Pass
65. Gold Coast Matched bid
66. Gold Coast Matched bid
65. Hawthorn - Pass
66. Gold Coast - Pass
67. Gold Coast - Pass

NB: I have removed picks that clubs aren’t going to use based on Cal Twomey’s analysis of how many selections each club is expected to make

Last edited:
With Pick 31, Wedgie chooses for Richmond

SA-Will-Patton-3.jpg

South Australia
SOUTH AUSTRALIATALL DEFENDER

#17​

Will Patton​

Height: 192cm
Weight: 79kg
D.O.B: 04-01-2005
Leagues: AFL U18 Championships
  • SNAPSHOT​

• ANALYSIS​

• SUMMARY​

SNAPSHOT: “A reliable defender who can intercept, rebound, or play on smalls and talls, Will Patton is lauded for his leadership on the last line.”
Labelled ‘The General’ in defence throughout an accomplished junior career, Will Patton is as reliable as they come. The West Adelaide prospect may be somewhat of a forgotten man in draft circles after captaining his state en route to All-Australian honours this year, going in for season-ending shoulder surgery and sitting out the National Draft Combine since. Nonetheless, he has been a mainstay in the South Australian talent pathway, playing as a bottom-ager in both the Under 17 and Under 18 setups to put his name on the radar. He turned out twice in last year’s National Championships and did enough to earn selection in the esteemed AFL Academy for 2023.
Patton, an Adelaide Crows supporter, draws comparisons to fellow Westies product Will Day as a tall left-footed backman with sound distributive skills, and was also a gun state level cricketer growing up. He made the decision that football would be his pathway of choice this year, spending time training with West Adelaide’s senior side and even having a week-long experience at Port Adelaide in preseason, alongside state teammate Jack Delean. The 18-year-old missed out on the chance for a League berth, but is back running as he continues to rehabilitate his shoulder and expects to be back into full training by Christmas.

STRENGTHS
DECISION MAKING
DEFENSIVE VERSATILITY
LEADERSHIP
READING THE PLAY
REBOUNDING
IMPROVEMENTS
DEFENSIVE APPLICATION
GROUND LEVEL GAME
Academy | Rookie Me

Someone bid on Clearly he’s going under the radar
Fully agree

Not really an area of need but this guy is as tough as nails. In my book, you can always find a spot for him

Lions bid on Cleary

Keys and Eastcoasteagle - over to you

To match the bid, Sydney need 387 points

They hold pick 42 (395 points) which is enough to cover the bid with a surplus of 8 points meaning they keep pick 45 as it’s not required to match

Fully agree

Not really an area of need but this guy is as tough as nails. In my book, you can always find a spot for him

Lions bid on Cleary

Keys and Eastcoasteagle - over to you
I thought about it with my pick, but a midfielder isn't a need for the tigers.
I do agree though, kid is a hard nut. Typical Sydney type of midfielder

As manners and politeness is one of my main attributes, I did text Eastcoasteagle and he has told me that he is NOT matching and was only going to match at 35. Therefore, he is mine. In the interest in keeping the momentum, I am taking Cleary.

With Sydney not matching, Lions are delighted with pick 32 to select Caiden Cleary. AA U18 names midfielder and part of the successful Allies team.

1699187773691.png

Rationale
He is tough and will take 2 or 3 years to build the AFL physique by which time Dunkley will be towards the end. He offers 2 way running (not the strongest attribute in the Lions midfield), the willingness to play the accountable midfielder role and is just hard at it. He will brilliantly complement the Ashcrofts and Fletcher in years to come.

In reading the options, I have 2 more picks coming up very shortly and see multiple options in a couple of areas of need.

Essendon selects Mitch Edwards. Taking Murphy and Edwards goes a long way towards shoring up Essendons tall stocks.

STRENGTHS:

• Follow-up work
  • Mobility
  • Reach
  • Ruck craft
  • Overhead marking

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Composure
  • Endurance

The archetypal modern ruckman, Mitch Edwards' quality around the ground as well as his work in the ruck battle has seen him stamp himself as one of the premier rucks in this year’s draft crop. As comfortable at centre bounces as he is at at stoppages, Edwards possesses a great leap and knows how to use his body to work his way in front of opposition rucks.

Precise with his tap-work, he is capable of pinpointing hits to the run of his midfielders and consistently taps to his teammates' advantage. When the ball hits the deck, the big man really gets to work, showcasing clean hands below his knees many midfielders would be envious of. His contested game on the deck is a real feature, managing 22 contested possessions across his 10 quarters of footy in the National Championships.

Edwards' aerial dominance is not just confined to his work in the ruck. His overhead marking both as an intercepting spare in defence and a contested mark at either end of the ground adds plenty of value to his game. A highlight of this craft came when his Sandgropers took on South Australia at Optus Stadium this year, coming in from the side to leap above the pack, take a mark with clean hands and go back to convert for a goal from 40m out. Accuracy in front of goal has been a remarkable strong suit for the big-man, kicking with 80 per cent shot accuracy across the WAFL Colts & Reserves competitions.

There is still room for improvement in certain aspects of his game. Though he is a valued partner to his midfielders, his endurance can let him down at times. This is sometimes apparent when he is made to back up for four quarters in the ruck, or made to cover the ground up and back.

Composure under pressure is another area for Edwards to work on. When bereft of handballing options in open play, he often looks uncomfortable and rushed with his kicking, a far cry from what he’s capable of with his disposal by foot. Once he fills out and builds strength, his poise in tight spots should also improve.

ArdentEagle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon selects Mitch Edwards. Taking Murphy and Edwards goes a long way towards shoring up Essendons tall stocks.

STRENGTHS:

• Follow-up work
  • Mobility
  • Reach
  • Ruck craft
  • Overhead marking

IMPROVEMENTS:

• Composure
  • Endurance

The archetypal modern ruckman, Mitch Edwards' quality around the ground as well as his work in the ruck battle has seen him stamp himself as one of the premier rucks in this year’s draft crop. As comfortable at centre bounces as he is at at stoppages, Edwards possesses a great leap and knows how to use his body to work his way in front of opposition rucks.

Precise with his tap-work, he is capable of pinpointing hits to the run of his midfielders and consistently taps to his teammates' advantage. When the ball hits the deck, the big man really gets to work, showcasing clean hands below his knees many midfielders would be envious of. His contested game on the deck is a real feature, managing 22 contested possessions across his 10 quarters of footy in the National Championships.

Edwards' aerial dominance is not just confined to his work in the ruck. His overhead marking both as an intercepting spare in defence and a contested mark at either end of the ground adds plenty of value to his game. A highlight of this craft came when his Sandgropers took on South Australia at Optus Stadium this year, coming in from the side to leap above the pack, take a mark with clean hands and go back to convert for a goal from 40m out. Accuracy in front of goal has been a remarkable strong suit for the big-man, kicking with 80 per cent shot accuracy across the WAFL Colts & Reserves competitions.

There is still room for improvement in certain aspects of his game. Though he is a valued partner to his midfielders, his endurance can let him down at times. This is sometimes apparent when he is made to back up for four quarters in the ruck, or made to cover the ground up and back.

Composure under pressure is another area for Edwards to work on. When bereft of handballing options in open play, he often looks uncomfortable and rushed with his kicking, a far cry from what he’s capable of with his disposal by foot. Once he fills out and builds strength, his poise in tight spots should also improve.

ArdentEagle
Excited Seinfeld GIF

Well, that paid off immediately. Good choice!

To match the bid, Gold Coast need 345 points

They hold picks 62 (123 points), 65 (90 points) and 66 (80 points) which is a total of 293 points

Leaves them with a deficit of 52 points equivalent to pick 69 which sums up their relationship with the AFL

For convenience I’m going to say the deficit gets carried through to next year

What's the deal with the point deficit - is it a rolling 4 years like trading future picks?

Any deficit gets deducted from the points value of their first pick next year. At worst their R1 pick would get moved back one spot but at just 52 points it likely doesn’t make a difference. So it just gets washed away

But I could have that wrong

Collingwood pick 34
Angus Hastie - 190cm 74kg running defender.

Instructions from the pies board was pace and line breakers. This guy fits the brief.
Few others I considered but it was the upside as to why I picked Hastie. Basketball background and only really focused on footy a year ago.

Charlie Edwards and Angus Hastie both have very high ceilings. No vanilla here.

Full write up and reasoning to follow.

eaglespremiers
You're up mate

Collingwood pick 34
Angus Hastie - 190cm 74kg running defender.

Instructions from the pies board was pace and line breakers. This guy fits the brief.
Few others I considered but it was the upside as to why I picked Hastie. Basketball background and only really focused on footy a year ago.

Charlie Edwards and Angus Hastie both have very high ceilings. No vanilla here.

Full write up and reasoning to follow.

eaglespremiers
You're up mate
Angry Season 2 GIF by The Office

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back