Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

0ec891976b26531fbd5acba18b6f481b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I must have been standing right next to you until it pissed down

My observations from training today was that it was a relatively easy session, just getting movement into the legs

The most vocal guys out on track that I could hear were Clarke, O’Donnell, Flea and JJ.

O’Donnell just oozes leadership. Some of the skinny beanpoles have put on some muscle and Darcy’s hands were clean as in the wet

Flea looked really sharp as did Arty. Darcy and English did a biT of contested boundary throw in kind of work away from the main group. Not surprising the smaller guys excelled in the wet.

Group broke up into forwards at one end, Mids and rucks on a different oval and defenders down the other end at one stage. I was closest to the forwards and they did some sharp drills with quick hands and snaps on goal

Jamarra looks as fit as I’ve seen him

I think Thursdays session will be more full on and I’m hopeful they do another one on the weekend so the kids can go along. We will be going Dog hunting on the beach and up to the field and see what we can find. Hopefully the council are lenient cos they are dynamite on Dogs off leash on the beach up here 😜

I wasn’t there, so can only go on what you shared with us all.

Apparently that was the midfield group? With all of Bont, Libba and Macrae playing fwd. Baz and Treloar not playing. Richards was up against none of our starting 5 mids from the last 5 years. Playing better better as a mid, than your opponent who’s playing as a forward doesn’t mean anything either 😂

Not sure how you’ve come to the conclusion either that Cody, Marra and Naughts are our next in line midfield rotations.

Richards obviously played well. But did so against none of our starting midfield group. I dare say the players he played against would’ve copped a flogging from the worst starting midfield group in the league. Not a great barometer for Richards getting a midfield gig.
Sanders, Harmes, West, Cody, CD possibly Gags would be our next in line midfield rotations, and all played in the midfield alongside Richards on the day (Harmes & CD not as much as he was playing more wing/forward). So don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to add Richards to that list of guys who can rotate through the midfield. Again it might only be 20-30% game time, ie when we’re getting beaten by bigger, faster bodies ie JHF, Newcombe ripping us to shreds last year.

Bont, Libba, Treloar & Macrae are still our core but they need to be complimented with speed because they don’t have it. And Treloar will likely miss games again, Libba and Macrae both getting on in age too. So we will be digging deeper into that 2nd tier of rotations and Red should definitely be in the mix.

One of the best rebounding half backs in the comp, on his way to an AA gong.

I don’t understand some of our supporters obsession with moving players from a role they star in and are key to that line performing well, in to a role they’ve never played and may or may not do well in.
Well, we just drafted Riley Sanders who is killing it as a kid and we picked up Harmes to play defensive roles that might be in the middle too. Macrae will probably get more rotations this year as we manage Libba & Treloar.

I just don't have room for Richards in the rotations even if he wasn't already a rolled gold gun defender (where I'd 100% leave him).

I think the interest in Richards isn't that we are short of midfielders, it's having elite pace, power, defence, and good ball use out of the middle. That's what we don't have, and traits Richards has in spades.

Whether that translates to Richards being a gun midfielder is another thing, but I'd like to see in case. If he provides the team more in defence then I'm more than happy for him to stay there. But think we have enough half back options to give it a try now. Imagine if it does work. A future midfield of Sanders, Baz, and Richards (and an ageless Bont).

Anyway for me it's just about giving it a try, nothing more.

Sanders, Harmes, West, Cody, CD possibly Gags would be our next in line midfield rotations, and all played in the midfield alongside Richards on the day (Harmes & CD not as much as he was playing more wing/forward). So don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to add Richards to that list of guys who can rotate through the midfield. Again it might only be 20-30% game time, ie when we’re getting beaten by bigger, faster bodies ie JHF, Newcombe ripping us to shreds last year.

Bont, Libba, Treloar & Macrae are still our core but they need to be complimented with speed because they don’t have it. And Treloar will likely miss games again, Libba and Macrae both getting on in age too. So we will be digging deeper into that 2nd tier of rotations and Red should definitely be in the mix.
All those players you’ve listed will be part time midfielders.

Richards would have to become one of our better midfielders, with big minutes, for it to be worth moving him from the backline.

I just can’t see the benefit of a part time role chopping out here and there. We’d lose his input down back and get barely any return from his midfield minutes.

Does Richards have the tools to play midfield? Yes

Do we have someone that can replace him with equal ability to play at a high level and to actually defend as well in the backline? No

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I just can’t see the benefit of a part time role chopping out here and there. We’d lose his input down back and get barely any return from his midfield minutes.
I just don’t understand this viewpoint, why would we get barely any return from small amounts of midfield minutes? He’s more likely to impact the game in a small amount of time around the ball than a small amount of time in one half of the ground is he not?

If we’re under the pump down back keep him there where he can help sure, but you see no benefit in being able to get one of our better players involved in the game more with rotations on ball in a part time sense without completely losing his impact down back?

Again using the example of us getting decimated in less than a qtr from a player like JHF who has pace, size & strength that basically none of our other midfielders can match, could it not maybe be beneficial to utilise one of our few players on the ground who can match those attributes, as well as great defensive instincts, to neutralise that threat and possibly swing the momentum back our way?

How many times do we have to watch our one paced midfield get trampled and have the game taken away from us in 15 mins of footy before we maybe look at alternate strategies to counteract it? Oliver/Petrecca basically every time we play them, Newcombe & JHF last year. It’s a clear weakness and it’s only becoming more common across the league and we’re falling further behind - if we’ve got a better solution great let’s see it, but we have to try something do we not?

I just don’t understand this viewpoint, why would we get barely any return from small amounts of midfield minutes? He’s more likely to impact the game in a small amount of time around the ball than a small amount of time in one half of the ground is he not?

If we’re under the pump down back keep him there where he can help sure, but you see no benefit in being able to get one of our better players involved in the game more with rotations on ball in a part time sense without completely losing his impact down back?

Again using the example of us getting decimated in less than a qtr from a player like JHF who has pace, size & strength that basically none of our other midfielders can match, could it not maybe be beneficial to utilise one of our few players on the ground who can match those attributes, as well as great defensive instincts, to neutralise that threat and possibly swing the momentum back our way?

How many times do we have to watch our one paced midfield get trampled and have the game taken away from us in 15 mins of footy before we maybe look at alternate strategies to counteract it? Oliver/Petrecca basically every time we play them, Newcombe & JHF last year. It’s a clear weakness and it’s only becoming more common across the league and we’re falling further behind - if we’ve got a better solution great let’s see it, but we have to try something do we not?

I think you’re getting a bit carried away with what you believe to be Richard’s ability as a midfielder.

Apparently our AA midfield group consisting of the best player in the comp can’t handle the best the opposition have, but our best mid sized, rebounding half backer will come in when required and turn the game?

Sorry doggo, you’re living in fantasy land.

Last edited:
The one I want to see coming on to counter an oppo mid who's tearing us up is Harmes. That's what he can do very well. Richards could be one to throw on ball when everything is starting to go wrong and we need a change of plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re getting a bit carried away with what you believe to be Richard’s ability as a midfielder.

Apparently our AA midfield group consisting of the best player in the comp can’t handle the best the opposition have, but our best mid sized, rebounding half backer will come in when required and turn the game?

Sorry doggo, you’re living in fantasy land.
Maybe doggo is living in reality land, given that Richards has spent time during preseason playing in the midfield

Okay great in theory, but our ‘AA’ group literally hasn’t been able to handle certain player types from the opposition. This isn’t fantasy land like it’s literally happened in front of our eyes, you know resulting in a grand final loss and all?

I’d love our AA group to not lose games to bottom 3 teams but reality hits a bit a different my man.

You’re right things are great let’s keep them as is & not try anything different 😂

The one I want to see coming on to counter an oppo mid who's tearing us up is Harmes. That's what he can do very well. Richards could be one to throw on ball when everything is starting to go wrong and we need a change of plan.
Agreed, Harmes was a really smart pick up I think, at least we’re looking at the right types. Hopefully he’s able to compliment that side of our midfield

Okay great in theory, but our ‘AA’ group literally hasn’t been able to handle certain player types from the opposition. This isn’t fantasy land like it’s literally happened in front of our eyes, you know resulting in a grand final loss and all?

I’d love our AA group to not lose games to bottom 3 teams but reality hits a bit a different my man.

You’re right things are great let’s keep them as is & not try anything different 😂

You’re right off track now doggo.

This isn’t about what our mids can and/or can’t do, it’s about what you’re pushing as an alternative.

Richards can’t do what you’re suggesting. Any reasonable supporter knows this.

Given Naughton and Marra have also played midfield, during the same match sim, I think we can agree it doesn’t mean much.
Weightman played a huge amount of midfield last preseason too. Wasn't used in-season.

Big fan of Poulter. Think it’ll be a great year for him - more settled, better relationships with the boys (seems to be close with Marra and we saw them combine well already last season) and another full pre-season under his belt will do him wonders. Looks to have grown into his body alittle more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Pre-season training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back