List Mgmt. Official 2024 List Management News

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1725594450357.png

Given there is a lot of chat about how our list management should pan out at seasons end I thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to Official List Management News.

I've created a sheet that shows the contract status of every player, including whether they are non free agent, restricted free agent or unrestricted free agents when they next come out of contract.

As we start to re-sign players for 2025 and beyond this thread will be updated so that it's easy to keep track of who has been signed and yet to re-sign. I will also endeavor to include news regarding contact talk, that is reported by credible sources like Herald Sun/The Age/AFL/SEN/Code Sports/TV Shows. Yes I'm well aware not many of them are considered credible, but you get what I mean.

Last edited:
Richmond forward Rhyan Mansell has extended his time at the Club for a further two years, signing a contract extension until the end of 2026.

Mansell has played 41 games for Richmond since joining ahead of the 2021 AFL season.

iaCme1iR.jpg

01:45
Just now

'Looking forward to being a part of the future' - Mansell​

Rhyan Mansell speaks with Richmond Media following the news he has signed a two year contract extension.
The energetic forward had a long road into the AFL, missing out in two years of National and Rookie Drafts before earning his chance via the Supplementary Selection Period.

Mansell who won four consecutive state league premierships with North Launceston (three) and Woodville-West Torrens (once-SANFL), was used primarily as a defender when he first arrived at the Club before settling into a forward role.

01RiCa23DP714376442.JPG

The 23-year-old had an outstanding pre-season this year before an ankle injury meant he missed Opening Round.

The Tasmanian has averaged 10.7 disposals and three tackles per game in 2024, booting six goals. He is the #1 player at Richmond for Goal Assists.

Mansell said he was “rapt” to put pen to paper.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to play another two years at Richmond and looking forward to having the chance to build on what I’ve been able to do the past four years,” he added.

“It is exciting to be a part of the future for Richmond.”

08RiFr24DP048771241.jpg

Richmond General Manager, Football Talent Blair Hartley said Mansell thoroughly deserved the contract extension.

“Rhyan has worked hard across the past four years to continually improve his game and establish himself in the team,” he said.

“His teammates love playing with him, and he puts in a lot of time behind the scenes. We look forward to him continuing this across the next couple of years.”

Last edited:
Richmond has used its first selection in the 2023 Mid-Season Rookie Draft (pick No. 2) to recruit intercepting defender Jacob Blight from Peel Thunder.

Recruited from: Peel Thunder
Position: Intercepting defender
Height:
196cm
DOB: 14/12/2001

lgC6yHdw.png

01:14
Just now

Mid-Season Rookie Draft: Jacob Blight​

Jacob Blight from Peel Thunder has been drafted to the Tigers during the 2024 Mid-Season Rookie Draft.
What the Richmond recruiters say about Blight...

"He’s a consistent, competitive player whose strength lies in his defensive and aerial game. He recently had a strong performance in the WAFL v SANFL State Game at Optus Stadium, in which he took seven intercept marks and had 17 disposals. He is a super professional character, who has worked extremely hard to continue to improve and develop, and we are extremely delighted to give him this opportunity."

Richmond has used its second selection in the 2023 Mid-Season Rookie Draft (pick No. 16) to recruit key position utility Campbell Gray from Essendon VFL.

Recruited from: Essendon VFL
Position: Key position utility
Height: 195cm
DOB: 1/8/03

What the Richmond recruiters say about Gray...

"Campbell has played every game for Essendon VFL in 2024, as a key position utility, spending time in defence, forward and ruck. He is a versatile, competitive key position player who is strong in the air and has excellent recovery and intent at ground level. He is an extremely likeable and hardworking character, currently a fourth year apprentice electrician whilst balancing VFL commitments."

Tall defender Ben Miller has committed his future to Richmond, putting pen to paper on a two-year extension with the Club.

Miller, 24, is having his most consistent season at AFL level- finding form as a key cog in Richmond's back line.

The West Australian has played 10 consecutive games since breaking into the lineup in Round 3, taking his career tally to 35.

Miller was drafted to the Club with pick No. 63 overall at the 2017 AFL Draft, learning his craft as a key defender from Alex Rance, David Astbury, and Dylan Grimes before breaking through for a debut in the final round of his fourth season.

The versatile 198cm tall played 11 games in 2022, including the Elimination Final, before adding a career-high 13 last year, which he is on the cusp of surpassing in 2024.

Miller ranks #1 at Richmond for One Percenters, #3 for Marks, #4 for Rebound 50s, and #5 for Intercepts, all while playing on the opposition's best power forwards.

Richmond General Manager, Football Talent Blair Hartley said Miller was being rewarded on field for his continual hard work over the past seven years.

"Ben is a great teammate and a player that has put in a mountain of work to give himself the best chance to succeed," Hartley said.

"He has taken his game to a new level this season and thoroughly deserves this contract extension.

"We look forward to having Ben and his family as part of the Club for another two years and beyond."

The contract extension will take the versatile Miller into an eighth and ninth season at Richmond.

Miller has been used mainly as a key defender but also as a ruck/forward across his time at the Club.

Legendary Richmond player Dustin Martin has called time on his illustrious 15-year AFL career.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist, triple premiership player, Brownlow Medallist, four-time All Australian, three-time Gary Ayers Medallist, and dual Jack Dyer Medal winner informed his teammates of the decision today.

“It is hard to put into words what the Richmond Football Club means to me, I love this place so much," Martin said.

“I will be forever grateful for the love and the support I have received from the people here.

"To my teammates, the brotherhood that we all share is what I value most as well as the bond with the staff and coaches… thank you to all of you.

“To my family and friends thank you for your unconditional love and support.

“To the Tiger Army, I have always felt so loved and supported throughout my career and for that I will be forever grateful. The memories that we have created together will live with me forever. Thank you.”

Martin, 33, played 302 games and booted 338 goals.

The supremely skilful and powerful inside midfielder that spent damaging periods forward, made his debut for Richmond in Round 1 of his first season (2010) and never played a reserves match for the Tigers.

From his second season until his 13th, Martin only once finished outside the top six of the Tigers' best and fairest (10th in 2012).

While still a teenager, Martin was already a star of the competition, averaging 22 disposals and booting 33 goals across the 2011 season.

bRF6KVlA.jpg

By 2013, as Richmond returned to finals action for the first time in 12 years, Martin was a key cog in the Tigers' team and viewed across the competition as a top-line talent.

Martin won his first Jack Dyer Medal and All Australian honour in 2016, before bursting into superstardom while spearheading Richmond to the Club's drought-breaking 2017 premiership.

The Castlemaine product played arguably the most decorated AFL season of all time that season, claiming the Norm Smith Medal, Premiership, Brownlow Medal, Leigh Matthews MVP Trophy, AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year Award, All Australian, Gary Ayers Medal and Richmond's best and fairest.

Martin continued his exquisite form in the coming seasons, booting over 30 goals and averaging 25-plus disposals in both the 2018 and 2019 seasons. He then underlined his impeccable standing in the game in the 2019 finals series.

Kb8DUlo2.jpg

The 187cm midfielder/forward booted 12 goals across the campaign, including bags of six in the Qualifying Final and four in the premiership triumph.

Martin would then create and enter his own category as he became the games first triple Norm Smith Medallist while steering Richmond to the 2020 premiership.

The superstar, who was voted best on the ground by the coaches in all three of Richmond's knock-out finals that season, kicked four miraculous goals as the Tigers overcame a halftime deficit to defeat the Cats on Grand Final night.

Martin returned to top form in 2023, making the All-Australian squad of 40 and finishing runner-up in the Club's best and fairest for the fourth time in his career.

The superstar's final season included highlights of a 23-disposal, three-goal performance at Dreamtime at the 'G, and the MCG being filled by a staggering 92,000 people- doubling the expected attendance that was forecasted in the pre-season- for his 300th game against Hawthorn.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale echoed that it was hard to put into words the contribution Martin had made to the Club.

GFRiGe20QR132894231.jpg

"So much has been said about Dustin's impact on our Club and the competition, but more than anything, and put simply, I think it is the joy that he gave the Tiger Army and those around him that might mean the most," Gale said.

"Three premierships and best on ground in each of them will always be his legend, and rightly, it, along with his unique aura, will be what he is best remembered for.

OJ190917CS0653.jpg

"But I think Dustin would be most proud of what he was able to achieve playing for a team… for our team—and the magnificent role he was able to play within that system, which let him be every bit the footballing genius that he was always destined to be.

"That genius was most evident when the stakes were at their highest, when the crowd was at its loudest, when all eyes were on him, and when the moments needed a hero.

"Dustin did it his way, and we are all just so lucky to have been Richmond people during his era of dominance. So, all I can say on behalf of everyone associated with our great Club is thank you to an icon. To our icon.”

Martin has retired with immediate effect.

GFRiGW19DT4595.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond champion Dylan Grimes has called time on his decorated 15-year AFL career.

The 33-year-old announced his retirement to teammates today, concluding his 234 games with the Club.

Grimes will conclude his career as a triple premiership player, Jack Dyer Medallist, All-Australian, and two-time winner of the Club’s prestigious Francis Bourke Award.

The inspirational defender also captained the Club for two years when he and Toby Nankervis were announced as Richmond’s 41st and 42nd VFL/AFL skippers ahead of the 2023 season.

Grimes said he felt indebted to the Richmond Football Club.

“The Club had plenty of reasons to throw in the towel with me over many years with surgeries, form slumps or whatever (else)," Grimes said.

“There is a part of me that has had a chip on my shoulder for my entire career to try and repay the debt I felt like I owed the Club.

“Almost everything good in my life, I have because of here, so thank you.”

Grimes said that to be a great team, you needed to be a great Club first, and he paid tribute to various off-field staff in his retirement speech.

“To be a great Club you need to have great people, and this place is blessed with some of the best that there is,” he said.

He added that while he was excited about the next chapter of his life and being more present with friends and family, he would miss being at the Club every day.

“I will miss the thrill of the contest, and I will miss the incredible feeling of playing in front of the best fans in the world… But I leave with no regrets and just a sense of pride for everything we have achieved together.”

Grimes was overlooked in the 2009 AFL National Draft, joining the Tigers with the second pick in the Pre-Season Draft.

Throughout his career, the 194cm backman showed he was a reliable defensive option who could stop all kinds of opposition players, given his ability on the ground and in the air.

Persistent hamstring injuries kept Grimes to just 26 matches in his first four seasons at the Club, but across a decade from 2014, the star defender was a mainstay in the Richmond lineup.

Grimes did not miss a game in the drought-breaking 2017 premiership season, forming an imposing backline with fellow talls David Astbury and Alex Rance.

The star defender placed fifth in the Jack Dyer Medal that season and was awarded his first of consecutive Francis Bourke Awards.

The Francis Bourke Award is voted on by the playing group each week as a 3-2-1 based on how the players best uphold their trademark values, highlighting Grimes’ standing within the group.

Across the following three years, while Richmond was the competition's benchmark, Grimes’ role in the Club’s success was rewarded with a place in the All-Australian squad of 40 in each, making the 22 in 2019.

Grimes became a dual and triple premiership player in 2019 and 2020 before fittingly winning the 2021 Jack Dyer Medal, having finished inside the top 10 of the count for the six previous seasons.

As skipper, Grimes played 37 matches, including his 200th AFL game, a narrow victory against Port Adelaide at the MCG.

The defender managed just five games in 2024 due to a back injury.

Richmond Chief Executive Officer Brendon Gale said Grimes would go down as one of the Club’s all-time greats.

“Dylan arrived at the Club via the Pre-Season Draft, and straight away, you could tell that he was going to be a player that got everything out of himself, which 15 years later has certainly come to fruition,” Gale said.

“His importance to our team and Club across a long period has been profound, and his contribution to our era of success has been outstanding.

“In a role that does not always receive the plaudits, Dylan exemplified, and he was respected and admired across the league as a top-line quality player.

“Dylan had a wonderful career and is one of our most decorated players, but his legacy at the Club as a great teammate will be the most lasting.

“On behalf of everyone at Richmond, we cannot thank Dylan enough for what he did for our Club. He was a heart and soul footballer and will forever be a Richmond Man.”

Grimes will join his triple premiership teammate Dustin Martin at the MCG this Saturday, to celebrate their remarkable careers together with the Tiger Army.

Saturday’s match against Gold Coast starts at 2.10pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back