Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie and Jimmy were discussing his statue and I think they actually nailed what it should be. It should be at normal height of Dusty doing a "Don't Argue" and you can stand there for a photo where it looks like he is giving you the stiff arm.

Eddie also made a good point that because it is a Bronze statue and the hand will be touched so much it would turn gold over time.

:richmond: Happy Dusty Day, everybody! :richmond:

Dusty Flags.png

Little Dusty.png

7ec62581c7439d5bc26518dc490e6dd3

eaf1d02b4d08cd0d53df9747c8ea819b

48ea9bba0f094bf2920acfef9f4b2a57

b1e31cbfc25f07478a6d4186d629b38c

57383589-10777591-image-a-26_1651712605632.jpg

Remember when he got charged by the police when he belted Neville Bruns?
Yeah, in typical Matthews style; a king hit to an unsuspecting opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clubs instagram doing its best to say it’s a retirement without saying it’s a retirement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah, during the week, that doco on Wednesday gave me the feeling that it was a goodbye doco as much as a celebration. Dusty's behaviour after the game and now the social media posts make me think that Dusty is done.

The clubs instagram doing its best to say it’s a retirement without saying it’s a retirement

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are they saying?

Well done to the great man, but for a game which was meant to be a celebration, it was hard to ignore the sadness, disappointment and emotion in his tone in the after-game onfield interview. Something felt very off. I think he was absolutely gutted with the performance of some of the boys who represented the club today. He has had a career of fairytales, but today you wouldn't have known it.

This week i think he truly realised what this club means to him. And i think today he truly found out how much trouble we are in. Was a very weird vibe

100% agree at the game you got a sense that it was his farewell game.

It had that vibe but he seemed to take some real ownership of seeing you in 2 weeks.

I think today shocked him tbh. Just how bad and just how ****ed we are. As he said, he was overwhelmed by the love of us supporters during the week & I actually think it has triggered something pretty deep in him on what this club actually means to him. Without going to deep into his life pre Richmond, how was "love" expressed to him? And this week, how different was that "love" presented to him from the supporters etc?

I have been one to be pretty harsh on Dusty over the past few years over various things, but my biggest has been a sense that his level of commitment & ownership is not the same as it once was. That he seemed to be "going through the motions" until the end of his contract, where he likely will head to GC for another adventure.

Today, mostly via the post game presser, was the complete opposite of that.

When Rance retired, i felt his presser was an act of "going through the motions" & talking a lot of bullshit to cover up true reasons. It felt fake & forced. Dustys post game stuff was not that. It was raw. Maybe the only time i've seen Dusty truly vulnerable and maybe even afraid.

I wouldn't be surprised if the future that today clearly showed us of where this club is heading might have paniced him in to wanting to hang around to drag us out of it. But i'm not sure even he can.

He was horrible today unfortunately, probably his worst of the season.
hes the big game player and this wasnt a big game to him like it was to us

plus i reckon he tweaked his whatever he was carrying cos he was moving fine then he was in early season niggle mode rest of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back