Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL what do you want me to do mate? pretend i didn't have a strong opinion i voiced that Grimes should retire?

Maybe a little less on the Dusty thread? It's drifted off-topic. Fair? :thumbsu:

At what point do you just admit, they are getting a lot of 50/50 calls wrong atm?

Well, it's kinda telling that you (unwittingly?) admit they're - at the very least - "50/50 calls."

So not the kind of thing where a person commentating would want to take credit for getting all the negative flips of that coin right, then point fingers at those who have to wear the consequences of those 50/50 calls going sour (through no fault of their own), run them down and say they got it "wrong."

In my opinion, at least. :thumbsu:

My memories were off the crowd, the day, Dusty's first goal, the interview, the chairing him off and the night out that followed.........i couldn't give two shits about the result.

I was there for his first game and his 300th.....that's memories.

Maybe some you people need to stop taking football so serious, it's just a game.
I know right! but 37 years off misery does this to you and after 4 beautiful years it's coming back and it's haunting. We also spud it up with our other milestones Hafey so on. If like you say kicking the first goal inspired you it didn't have the same effect on the playing list.
You are so right and always have looked it as just a game. My best recent memories of our club in recent years are the ones the people on here helped me in hour of need, the days I caught up with some pre games at meetups (sadly most of them don't post anymore) And the selfless wife of Equus who gave up her seat in the 18 final against the pies so i can forget about other things even just for a day.
istockphoto-1391352876-612x612.jpg

Last edited:

Just watch the first minute then turn it off.
To be honest I'm pretty sick as I was watching the vfl team must have been the last quarter I fell asleep, as hardly sleep this days and tend to doze off at any time. I can't afford foxtel so wouldn't been able to watch it apart dodgy stream which is hit or miss.

I know right! but 37 years off misery does this to you and after 4 beautiful years it's coming back and it's haunting. We also spud it up with our other milestones Hafey so on. If like you say kicking the first goal inspired you it didn't have the same effect on the playing list.
You are so right and always have looked it as just a game. My best recent memories of our club in recent years are the ones the people on here helped me in hour of need, the days I caught up with some pre games at meetups (sadly most of them don't post anymore) And the selfless wife of Equus who gave up her seat in the 18 final against the pies so i can forget about other things even just for a day.
View attachment 2023714
LOL only if you let it.

I go to the footy now mainly just to enjoy the day, losing the game is not going to bother me whereas in past years i would've gone straight home all shitty, now i head to a pub after the game and have some fun and go home happy.

Like you said about the pre game meet up's, i enjoy these probs more than the game now and what's even better is footy is very rarely spoken about.

Just remember, we all love to win but the best thing about being a supporter, we get to rock up the following year when the same can't be said for under performing players, and that's how i changed my mindset in regards to footy, it's not my career on the line so why am i getting so upset for.

Went to Brisbane for the game, loved it. First time at the Gabba, caught up with a good mate i don't see that often and after the game ran into Luke Hodge's dad walking along Vulture St. Game was a distant memory in what was a great 4 days up there.

LOL only if you let it.

I go to the footy now mainly just to enjoy the day, losing the game is not going to bother me whereas in past years i would've gone straight home all shitty, now i head to a pub after the game and have some fun and go home happy.

Like you said about the pre game meet up's, i enjoy these probs more than the game now and what's even better is footy is very rarely spoken about.

Just remember, we all love to win but the best thing about being a supporter, we get to rock up the following year when the same can't be said for under performing players, and that's how i changed my mindset in regards to footy, it's not my career on the line so why am i getting so upset for.

Went to Brisbane for the game, loved it. First time at the Gabba, caught up with a good mate i don't see that often and after the game ran into Luke Hodge's dad walking along Vulture St. Game was a distant memory in what was a great 4 days up there.
So true,

Losing doesn't annoy me or grind my gears like it did before we tasted success. No one wants to lose but now I dont get so bent and twisted about it.

I used to be an angry ant, my wife even commented the other day when we lost to Hawthorn how i was. Success is fleeting so when you get it enjoy it for as long as you can. I think for many of us its all we wanted was to see a flag and we got to see 3 in 4 years.

Dusty has been way below his best this year, no dispute, in the main he has not been recognisable as the Dusty we know. But he has not been right, and he has been forced to play by our shocking number of injuries, especially to mids and forwards.

he is surely likely to play better in the future and the club would know this, thus the 2 year offer. Also, other clubs aren't stupid, if we gave him 1 year someone else will be in there offering multi-year deals to tempt him away, which we really do not want under any circumstances, especially after what we witnessed on Saturday. That is totally unprecedented in football.

2 years is fine and I would just about bet it won't be his last contract as well.

Lions in a rebuild offer Luke Hodge 2-years, and we are seriously debating if Dusty would be worth the contract?

He’s averaging 18 touches, 1.6 goals and goal assists and 5.9 x SI per game in a horribly dysfunctional team due to injury … he’s playing like a mere mortal … which is still better than average.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

LOL only if you let it.

Awesome post mate

Had a similar discussion with my better half this year who’s interest the game tends to drop off when we aren’t winning as much

She asked my why I bother watching games when you know we are going to lose or not perform well

I said when it’s a season like this and we may only get a handful of wins that feeling of belting out the song or even watching a win is almost better compared to the home and away season when we are expected to win every week

Awesome post mate

Had a similar discussion with my better half this year who’s interest the game tends to drop off when we aren’t winning as much

She asked my why I bother watching games when you know we are going to lose or not perform well

I said when it’s a season like this and we may only get a handful of wins that feeling of belting out the song or even watching a win is almost better compared to the home and away season when we are expected to win every week
Yeah and following the team through all those bad years made 2017 all the more emotional.

Yeah and following the team through all those bad years made 2017 all the more emotional.
Absolutely!
And that’s not to say we are content or happy to see us underperforming either but it’s more just about taking a step back and enjoying the ride with its ups and downs

Haha, totally right. Despite the absolute euphoria surrounding 2017 and the ensuing 3 or 4 years, there was a little part of me that felt extra anxiety in those seasons that is no longer present. It was like the pressure valve has been massively released by 2017-2020.

I'm now feeling a lot more like what a Hawthorn supporter felt for all of those years rather than what a St Kilda supporter felt like. I go to matches nowadays with this little bit of arrogant disregard for the scoreboard, and just enjoy watching our boys play.

I just love that no matter what happens on that day, that Tigger, Dusty, Macca, Broady, Shorty, Dan, Shai, Nank etc all have at least a couple of flags under their belt, and aren't all fruitlessly slaving away for the yellow and black.

Absolutely!
And that’s not to say we are content or happy to see us underperforming either but it’s more just about taking a step back and enjoying the ride with its ups and downs
Thats what real supporters do after a long streak with winning 3 premierships in 4 years and being part of history
But the trolls will always come back and sh!t on the club 5 minutes after not winning

Im glad you are always understanding of where the club sits and appreciate what the club has allowed you to enjoy the last 6 years rather than have unrealistic expectation of being top 4 for a decade with the system designed to drag clubs down after a period.

Would be nice if others followed this example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we’re offering him 2 years, he’s gotta be in the bottom half of player salaries

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
His form looks a year to year proposition.

2 year $500 k contract heavily front loaded might appeal to him. So get 800k for 2025 and if the body isn't up to it retire.

In 2013 I was back in Australia for a weekend and was watching us playing freo at the g , I burst into tears, my partner who can’t stand the footy said what’s wrong , I said we are going to play finals, I never ever believed we would play finals after the disaster test was the end of Frawley and Wallace , I’ve been fortunate to have witnessed live 5 flags live and a couple of losses , I still get shitty when we lose but I temper that with I know we are being robbed

In 2013 I was back in Australia for a weekend and was watching us playing freo at the g , I burst into tears, my partner who can’t stand the footy said what’s wrong , I said we are going to play finals, I never ever believed we would play finals after the disaster test was the end of Frawley and Wallace , I’ve been fortunate to have witnessed live 5 flags live and a couple of losses , I still get shitty when we lose but I temper that with I know we are being robbed
Northeys team was great. I saw the finals loss to EFC. I didn't see the finals win that year then moved to NNSW and a lot of games at the Gabba, later Metricon. I did see Frawley team smashed by brizzy.
I saw the grand finals 72 to 74.
Never thought I'd attend another grand final. Thank God for the hub in SEQ, never seen so much footy since I left Melbourne. Icing on the cake. A finals win on the saints and then the grand final over the cats.
The gold coast games had 15 minute quarters and could park across the ground for the random schedule they had. I loved it.

Northeys team was great. I saw the finals loss to EFC. I didn't see the finals win that year
We won the semi against Essendon. Lost to North and Geelong. The crowd heat against the druggies was off the charts.

LOL what do you want me to do mate? pretend i didn't have a strong opinion i voiced that Grimes should retire? I acknowledged all the points you made as being valid reasons to how they got to their decision - but ultimately we are living in a world where the result is known and we know that call was a bad one.

This is much like the Tarrant "2 year deal". people took a similar arrogance to my opinion that i thought the club we being desperate offering him 2 years and he barely had 1 in him. Got told all the reasons why they made that call. But ultimately, if they didn't sign him to a 2 year deal was the better move.

At what point do you just admit, they are getting a lot of 50/50 calls wrong atm? And at what point do you judge people in their jobs/roles on the results we all follow and comment on in real time?

I'm not going to pretend i ever thought it was a good idea just to be a fairweather fan. whats the point of that
Tarrant for one year would've been better.
Moving clubs seems to require more years in the contact. Like Kosi's 3 years. Chol 5
At that point the list mangers had one gamer, Miller as backup for Astbury, who'd quit. (Yet Houli wanted to play on.) Retiring senior players is tricky. As elite athletes they may really want to go on.

Cotch & Jack R were about right. I do like the idea of 300 games at a club.

They drafted Gibcus bring in Tarrant, who played well. That year with Tarrant, Balta & Gibcus Grimes played exclusively on smalls. Broad intercepted more.
Rioli moved back.

Grimes drop off was from 21 to 22. Sad to see him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back