Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Got no problem with two more years for Dusty. Only the draft pick obsessed would have an issue with it.

Lets get him to 350.

Two more years of Dusty is going to be better than some 18yo kid taken in the 3rd round of the draft.
If he goes to shit coast heā€™s coming down from my man cave wall šŸ˜‚

I'd like him to retire.
I think he is cooked to be honest. Emotionally more than physically as well.
Most of the team looked cooked on the weekend, maybe they all should retire :drunk:

I agree, in fact his inability to literally even consider an ounce of defensive pressure is enough for me to hope he retires as we all remember him. Dont limp to the line for another 2 years.

1 year at best, but you would want to hope we have healthy list so he can play his natural game.
I saw him chasing hard on Saturday. Sort of stuck out as weird. lol

If Dusty wants to go round again then you have no choice but to sign him up. He wouldn't be doing it for the cash, isn't he like a commercial property mogul?

He's looked very up and down this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we were wheeling him out underdone because of our injuries and also to get his 300th over and done with (at his request).

I'd like him to retire.
I think he is cooked to be honest. Emotionally more than physically as well.
Close I think , I find it hard to believe thereā€™s several clubs that have enquired , like a used car salesman saying they got someone coming in 20min to take the car youā€™re looking at for a test drive

If Dusty wants to go round again then you have no choice but to sign him up. He wouldn't be doing it for the cash, isn't he like a commercial property mogul?

He's looked very up and down this year but I wouldn't be surprised if we were wheeling him out underdone because of our injuries and also to get his 300th over and done with (at his request).
He played much better v ess and cats than last game

Everyone agree's its his choice. The only difference is some are thinking or hoping he chooses to retire sooner than later.

A lot of great players don't know when to retire and play 1 season too many. Grimes is a good example of that this year. And when that season is almost guaranteed to be a bottom 4 one again, what good can come from it unless he really needs the extra years income, which i strongly doubt.

No one in there right mind would say or suggest the club should just retire him against his will - the decision is obviously his.

The first factor is that we lost a lot of senior leaders last year, so it made very good sense to keep any like Grimes who were willing and judged able to keep going on the list. On-field leadership is one thing, but these senior premiership icons are huge off-field as well.

We've got a ton of kids coming through, they need guidance and the confidence of having senior bodies who have done it all around them. At training, at meetings, at rehab, in the rooms before and after training and games. To grow the right way.

The second factor is, the most unpredictable injury of all is most back related issues. They happen to players of any age (numerous far younger than Grimes currently out with similar issues), so to me, it's a point of contention whether Grimes is actually 'too old', or just dealing with what is perhaps a chronic back issue that could just as easily happen to a player in their 20's.

If the latter, it's Harry Hindsight stuff to say he should have retired.

As for Dusty, so often the first sign of a running midfield type player really being too old is their kicking shortening.

He kicked that first one on Saturday 60-65m, like it came out of a canon. :thumbsu:

The first factor is that we lost a lot of senior leaders last year, so it made very good sense to keep any like Grimes who were willing and judged able to keep going on the list. On-field leadership is one thing, but these senior premiership icons are huge off-field as well.

We've got a ton of kids coming through, they need guidance and the confidence of having senior bodies who have done it all around them. At training, at meetings, at rehab, in the rooms before and after training and games. To grow the right way.

The second factor is, the most unpredictable injury of all is most back related issues. They happen to players of any age (numerous far younger than Grimes currently out with similar issues), so to me, it's a point of contention whether Grimes is actually 'too old', or just dealing with what is perhaps a chronic back issue that could just as easily happen to a player in their 20's.

If the latter, it's Harry Hindsight stuff to say he should have retired.

As for Dusty, so often the first sign of a running midfield type player really being too old is their kicking shortening.

He kicked that first one on Saturday 60-65m, like it came out of a canon. :thumbsu:

Don't disagree with the need for experience but if a bloke is toast, then he is toast. Grimes to me looked totally cooked last year and this year has not added or helped anything.

Agree though that with so much leadership leaving we had to try and manage it, but giving Grimes an extra year was just wasting a spot on a guy who no longer is up to it, and gave him a rather crappy end to a glorious career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't disagree with the need for experience but if a bloke is toast, then he is toast. Grimes to me looked totally cooked last year and this year has not added or helped anything.

Maybe he had a niggle last year which they thought they'd got on top of, then things went the way of everything else the medical department touch?

Just like Meatball's endless issues, or the '6 week leg/foot but actually indefinite' brigade etc..

Either way, as a list manager, if the medical department last list changeover tell you Grimes is 80-90% to play 12+ games fit and firing in 2024 without back issues, you absolutely keep him.

Then you get what you get.

Agree though that with so much leadership leaving we had to try and manage it, but giving Grimes an extra year was just wasting a spot on a guy who no longer is up to it, and gave him a rather crappy end to a glorious career.

I'm sure he was well aware it could all end with no fairytale, as they all are.

It's a shame, but that's professional sport.

Maybe he had a niggle last year which they thought they'd got on top of, then things went the way of everything else the medical department touch?

Just like Meatball's endless issues, or the '6 week leg/foot but actually indefinite' brigade etc..

Either way, as a list manager, if the medical department last list changeover tell you Grimes is 80-90% to play 12+ games fit and firing in 2024 without back issues, you absolutely keep him.

Then you get what you get.

I'm sure he was well aware it could all end with no fairytale, as they all are.

It's a shame, but that's professional sport.

I get all that. But i've been pretty vocal the whole time, including last year, the Grimes needed to retire, its over and we need to move on. I was aware of the leadership drain, but my feeling was he can't help lead when he cannot play competent footy. His game would undermine his ldeaership.

And thats basically what happened. So from my perspective, i see it as a decision we had to make & based on the outcome, we made the wrong one.

As i've said in the Free Agency thread, i would be moving on from the players that are done and signing experienced Free Agents. Club should trade Dan Rioli for the 2 picks if thats on the table, and make a big offer to Markov on a 3 year contract that makes it too hard for the Pie's to match. Markov, like Pickett & Brandon Ellis, needs that "pay day" contract. We have nothing else to really use the cap on anyway. I'd also bring back Brandon Ellis who is out of favour. I think he has leadership abilities, understands the greatness of the club & a great friend to Baker & Short. Those 3 alone would be a better leadership group than what we currently have. Would also consider making a offer to Marchbank (UFA) &/or Nick Haynes to sure up the backline. We need grown ups in the key roles that can at least keep us competitive. All those blokes are gettable without giving up picks etc, just cap space

So ie i would rather us have made a move like get Nick Hayes VS keeping on Grimes, purely because i think Haynes still has at least 1 good year left in him and can still lead via his experience. Would even offer Membrey a "Pay Day" contract, as long as our cap is easy breezy to still land any potential big fish coming available.

My Dad, may he rest in peace, played for the Tigers
And he let you go for the Hawks?

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

I would sign Dusty for a couple of years, I think what he can give us off field would be great for the kids coming through our system. He could just be played permanently forward & on field coach for teaching them the tricks he has learnt throughout his career. Could you imagine any kid coming to the Tigers & learning off such a legend of the game. Would also help Dusty feel like he his helping beyond his ageing body & mind.

This really is a quality video put out by the club and so much better than the conventional AFL-media lead interviews most big game players do in the lead up. Seeing some of the older teammates at the end of the video, including Cousins was also great. Was also good to see Lids didn't go to the zoo.

Yeah, bloody great video.

I get all that. But i've been pretty vocal the whole time, including last year, the Grimes needed to retire, its over and we need to move on. I was aware of the leadership drain, but my feeling was he can't help lead when he cannot play competent footy. His game would undermine his ldeaership.

And thats basically what happened. So from my perspective, i see it as a decision we had to make & based on the outcome, we made the wrong one.

As i've said in the Free Agency thread, i would be moving on from the players that are done and signing experienced Free Agents. Club should trade Dan Rioli for the 2 picks if thats on the table, and make a big offer to Markov on a 3 year contract that makes it too hard for the Pie's to match. Markov, like Pickett & Brandon Ellis, needs that "pay day" contract. We have nothing else to really use the cap on anyway. I'd also bring back Brandon Ellis who is out of favour. I think he has leadership abilities, understands the greatness of the club & a great friend to Baker & Short. Those 3 alone would be a better leadership group than what we currently have. Would also consider making a offer to Marchbank (UFA) &/or Nick Haynes to sure up the backline. We need grown ups in the key roles that can at least keep us competitive. All those blokes are gettable without giving up picks etc, just cap space

So ie i would rather us have made a move like get Nick Hayes VS keeping on Grimes, purely because i think Haynes still has at least 1 good year left in him and can still lead via his experience. Would even offer Membrey a "Pay Day" contract, as long as our cap is easy breezy to still land any potential big fish coming available.

All that kinda reads like 'I'm gonna ignore all the valid points you made about off-field leadership, ignore the plausible medical scenario outlined'...then continue on insisting that Harry Hindsight and your good self are better list managers than the people we have in place.

OK then. ;):thumbsu:

First and foremost, I'd love Dusty to retire as a one club player. If that was this year or in a 1,2,3 seasons so be it.

If he does play on I think he's offered two years, whichever club it might be, and I think he might be the type of guy who felt if he dragging the chain he'd pull the pin early. As has been noted, dollars probably are not an issue.

If he stays at Richmond then maybe we all have to re-adjust expectations a bit. We're a developing side and I have no doubt he'd offer great value as an experienced player. He might also be having a bad year, and bounce back. It does happen to players in their thirties these days.

All that said he might be re-juvenated with a move to another club.

What will be will be.

And he let you go for the Hawks?

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation
Yeah, he was a great man.:)

On the flip side, I got to see a lot of Richmond greats like Royce Hart, Francis Bourke, Dick Clay, Billy Barrot (huge fan of Billy) and others.

All that kinda reads like 'I'm gonna ignore all the valid points you made about off-field leadership, ignore the plausible medical scenario outlined'...then continue on insisting that Harry Hindsight and your good self are better list managers than the people we have in place.

OK then. ;):thumbsu:

LOL what do you want me to do mate? pretend i didn't have a strong opinion i voiced that Grimes should retire? I acknowledged all the points you made as being valid reasons to how they got to their decision - but ultimately we are living in a world where the result is known and we know that call was a bad one.

This is much like the Tarrant "2 year deal". people took a similar arrogance to my opinion that i thought the club we being desperate offering him 2 years and he barely had 1 in him. Got told all the reasons why they made that call. But ultimately, if they didn't sign him to a 2 year deal was the better move.

At what point do you just admit, they are getting a lot of 50/50 calls wrong atm? And at what point do you judge people in their jobs/roles on the results we all follow and comment on in real time?

I'm not going to pretend i ever thought it was a good idea just to be a fairweather fan. whats the point of that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin is the GOAT and King of Punt Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back