Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Send Smith to north and watch his six pack and marketing currency turn to sh*t

Can't believe how over the whole thing I am already.

Let's be honest, it's all about image and money, so whoever offers most and if that club fits his image, that's where he'll go.

So to be honest if our club is a bit too povvo for the image, then don't let the door hit on the way out.

If anyone thinks what Baz will be paid is for his on-field output, you’re dreaming. If another club wants to pay him a million a year for what he brings off-field, then good luck to them & their cap.

If we don’t want to go too high because the on-field means more to us than someone else, then I’ll back in the club.

But, his marketability does push us back a few steps without him.

That’s surprising since Marra said this not long ago but things change

🤣That article is about 40 days old. Seems unlikely his view would have changed that dramatically in 40 days especially as it's coincided with an uptick in form including Marra's

That all makes sense until I remember what we got for Dunkley.
We received F1, pick 21 and other picks that net out to a late second/early 3rd. Together, that's worth a pick in the top 10 absolutely, especially when Brisbane's pick had a chance of being a lot better than it was before they eventually made the GF.

I have it on good authority that the Bailey Smith discussions on this board alone are currently generating enough energy to power an entire street.

In Armstrong Creek. 🤪

Though a couple of years younger, Rankine went for pick 5 in a trade getting paid a similar amount relative to the salary cap than what Smith did (former pick 3). That's the framework we're operating with with Smith who was a former pick 6.
Rankine did not snap his ACL in two

If anyone thinks what Baz will be paid is for his on-field output, you’re dreaming. If another club wants to pay him a million a year for what he brings off-field, then good luck to them & their cap.

If we don’t want to go too high because the on-field means more to us than someone else, then I’ll back in the club.

But, his marketability does push us back a few steps without him.
I don’t think there’s much point paying players for anything much beyond their contribution to team success.

Smith is a social media juggernaut but we have Bont and a swag of youngsters who get press. I wonder how much it does for us anyway. If he’s not accepting a deal based on what he brings to the team then he can move on.

Smith out of contract mate. Staying where he is isn’t the option.
The others, yes.

Great, let him go. Personally I'm just over the whole circus surrounding it. Go to Geelong, Collingwood, a 'big' club with big personalities. Whatever.

We pay him to be a footballer, to win football matches. The other social party boy, clothes horse stuff, I, and most of our supporters I would expect, couldn't give two s**** about.

I have it on good authority that the Bailey Smith discussions on this board alone are currently generating enough energy to power an entire street.
Sounds more plausible than the coalitions Nuclear policy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update on smith and our interest in barrass

Attachments

• FEE83131-72BE-4530-AEBB-9AC740BD8AB0.png
    FEE83131-72BE-4530-AEBB-9AC740BD8AB0.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 16CA8208-4464-49A5-BE99-458130F63C23.png
    16CA8208-4464-49A5-BE99-458130F63C23.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 214
  • AE7875AE-533A-4E3F-97E4-72B1952719E0.png
    AE7875AE-533A-4E3F-97E4-72B1952719E0.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 212
So sweet that the salary cap exists in theory but doesn't prevent a club's major sponsor holding a deal with a player in parallel to a club agreement to totally not circumvent that limit. Very serious league.

Chris Judd was always a great ambassador for Visy wink wink nudge nudge open secret open secret.

Im curious. What's the original source for these grabs?

Because it reads like little more than a compendium of stuff gleaned from here or places just like it. The trope about the lure of the surf coast is a real tell that it's not serious news.

Part 4 is so dumb and lacking in basic logic or an understanding of our team, that it could only have been sourced from bigfooty.

Im curious. What's the original source for these grabs?

Because it reads like little more than a compendium of stuff gleaned from here or places just like it. The trope about the lure of the surf coast is a real tell that it's not serious news.

Part 4 is so dumb and lacking in basic logic or an understanding of our team, that it could only have been sourced from bigfooty.
Read like Bigfooty with a superior font and a Bachelor of Arts

I appreciate the intel, and not suggesting it’s wrong, but I’d be hesitant in taking a player sponsors info as gospel.

I know a couple of player sponsors, and the info they get is general chit chat from the player at sponsor events.

I can’t imagine any player spilling too many beans to someone who’s literally just a supporter.

Yeah for sure - I just think it’s better than nothing at all. One of them is actually pretty close with a high profile dogs player (can’t say too much or too obvious).. take that however way you like. Makes me a little more confident in it. He told me back in March cats are in front.

As many have pointed out, it makes little sense for clubs to be offering Smith in excess of a million per year - turning him into a top 100, top 75 paid player in the league - but look to offer less than a top 10 or edge of the top 10 pick.

One links with the other. If a given club lowballs a trade, the Dogs can reasonably question why the club would rate him so highly to pay that in their salary cap.

Though a couple of years younger, Rankine went for pick 5 in a trade getting paid a similar amount relative to the salary cap than what Smith did (former pick 3). That's the framework we're operating with with Smith who was a former pick 6.

It makes perfect sense - clubs will do what they can to get the player cheaply in a trade, there's really no reason for it to be associated with the salary.

Clubs will offer a high salary to get the player to request a trade and then pay the bare minimum the other club will accept to trade for him. And the club trading the player will almost always lose because they have no leverage. Sure they can send him to the draft and get nothing but there are several reasons not to do that.

A club with a gun player who wants out will almost always lose the trade, unless the player declines greatly in ability or they pick up an unexpected star in the draft. The thing to focus on is creating an environment that players don't want to leave.

While they might be the best to deal with in regards to picks, why are Hawthorn into Smith?

They’ve got a stack of young midfieid options and are seemingly crying out for key position talent.

Sam Mitchell (like Clarko) also seems to favour those that excel by foot.

So they’re now all in on a 23-24yo who can murder the pill when kicking and the same guy had his worst season before doing a knee.

I’m not buying it.

It’ll be Geelong or Smith signs with us until FA.

A club with a gun player who wants out will almost always lose the trade, unless the player declines greatly in ability or they pick up an unexpected star in the draft. The thing to focus on is creating an environment that players don't want to leave.
Or maybe, you know, just be able to say to the player:

"You want to play the big marquee matches? in front of 70,000, 80,000 fans half a dozen times through the year? Well, how many blockbusters do the Dogs get, eh? Yeah, exactly."

"Yep, just sign there. No, not there. Down the bottom. That's it. Good lad! You're gonna love it."

Baz wants to go for midfield opportunities he believes he has a right too (which he has yet to show for us) when the real reason is the extra $350k-$400k per year being offered, play and simple.
Lol. Smith was awesome before his headbutt in 2022. The wheels fell off a touch after but he showed when Liber or Treloar were out he is a gun mid.

His 2022 when he got midfield minutes started very well..

Round 1 vs Melb: 33 touches, 11 tackles.
Round 3 vs Sydney: 31 touches
Round 4 vs Richmond: 36 touches, 4 tackles
Round 5 vs North: 43 touches, 4 tackles
Round 6 vs Adelaide: 29 touches
Round 7 vs Essendon: 26 touches, 1 goal
Round 8 vs Port: 24 touches, 4 tackles, 2 goals
Round 9 vs Collingwood: 41 touches
Round 10 vs Gold Coast: 34 toxues, 1 goal.

I’m resigned to the fact he’s 99% gone, but let’s not change history here. When he’s been given midfield time he’s a gun. I guess we’re just lucky that Ed has basically taken his role and done it even better.

While they might be the best to deal with in regards to picks, why are Hawthorn into Smith?

They’ve got a stack of young midfieid options and are seemingly crying out for key position talent.

Sam Mitchell (like Clarko) also seems to favour those that excel by foot.

So they’re now all in on a 23-24yo who can murder the pill when kicking and the same guy had his worst season before doing a knee.

I’m not buying it.

It’ll be Geelong or Smith signs with us until FA.
I think all the talk comes from his barracking as a kid but kids change allegiances most times when they join a new club. Media will latch onto anything to make a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back