Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking all the emotion out of it, the numbers have to speak for themselves. We are 5 years into the rebuild and we have just finished 4th bottom with a game still to play. We have regressed from even last year and that with a more favorable draw and less country venues to negotiate.

Tex is on his last hurrah and we are yet to solve the midfield woes.

It is soooo time for a change of coach its not funny or we risk burning the younger draftees into mediocraty. The club owes it to the players and the fans to make change this off season. They stuck fat with nicks for 5 long seasons and to my eye we are not progressing anywhere near enough to hope for finals let alone a flag under his tenure. I'd love to be wrong but i don't see it

It is soooo time for a change of coach its not funny or we risk burning the younger draftees into mediocraty.
This should be part of a good football directors remit. When your decisions are based on who is your friend and ally then you will not see what you need to see

We saw it with Burton and Roo and we see it with Kelly and Nicks

Our messaging is all over the place - internally and externally

Are we a club that gets around a player or are we ok with letting 1 loose to save the most?

We cant argue we are both

Someone mentioned culture and how important Nicks was for that. You know what I call bullshit. When your core value is ''getting around players'' and you dont then you failed

I think there are 2 completely separate issues.
1. Have we been poor this year? Yep! No question whatsoever. Our performances have been all over the shop! This is on Nicks AND players.

2. Is the result solely on the coach? Nope! Take the recent Showdown as a case example, main reasons that seem reasonable to me were:
  • Rankine concussion end of the 3rd quarter
  • players slipping and sliding like they’re on a summer vacation
  • some players persistently fumbling the ball
  • after the Rankine hit, we lost our focus and got suckered in by the Port players and the entire squad looked out of sorts, compared with their efforts in the earlier quarters.

All the above points are out of Nicks’ control. You can argue further that even if Nicks made moves here and there, but if the players can’t keep their focus, the moves would likely be ineffectual anyway.

The fact we’re currently being competitive with the top teams is reason to still have hope. All is not a lost cause, particularly when we’re one of the youngest teams and with likely one of the most injuries this year. I think also our perspectives may change in the coming weeks depending how Port ends up by the end of the season.
Yes picking a consistent fumbler is totally out of nicks control 🤦‍♂️
Nicks has a runner and the 3 qtr time address to get his players back on track.

So, we dropped Rachelle for over celebrating a pretty good goal because it upset the port numpties, but not Crouch for lashing out at a fan?

Nicks hasn't changed the culture at all. We're still 'seniors first'.

He told them to go **** themselves for scape goating him at the expense of party boys like Brad Crouch.
Thanks for that. What you described was a ridiculous idea by the AFC.
Wasn't he a party-boy-buddy of Brouch's?
Good for him. He made them look stupid and he became a premiership player.
Yep, goodonim.
The AFC should be embarressed for the way they acted.
They won't be. I can't remember a time when they admitted they got a player's management wrong.
Instead it looks like they havent learned a thing.
Well, events of 2023 and 2024 have proved that.
This rebuild has lasted 5 years (compare to Hawthorn's resurgence), we're back down to 15th 😱 and stuck with our losing-est Coach ever at least until the bye in 2025 :weary:😢.

So, we dropped Rachelle for over celebrating a pretty good goal because it upset the port numpties, but not Crouch for lashing out at a fan?

I have no problem with what Crouch did. The bloke was leaning over the fence abusing players, all he did was flick a hat. There’s a reason the general consensus is that he’s a flog for going to the police about it.

No you don't ....make a reasonable argument ....not emotional clap trap type posts like this

Would simple jack have put pedlar on Stewart? Maybe so. Would simple jack have just then given up on trying to match up on Stewart because he is just too good?

And once again, like all the ex RICH ferrals ....you'll be at the games next year, watching on TV .....supporters are so predictable

Mate - When have I said I wont be back?

I suffer from battered person syndrome. I will be here next year and the year after. Pretty much like I have been since 1991.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair bit of entitlement down there at West lakes. The older guys down there seem to have gold passes with Nick's. I just don't get it. Have been great servants for our club but have achieved nothing as far as premierships.

Nicks clearly has a tipping point of experience / youth and he can't cross that. Again yesterday he basically said Tex picks himself and I cant stop him from playing. I'm not fussed with him playing but it's again the attitude of it all. I'm just sick of it.

Lairds attitude has stunk for a while now, it was pointed out many times him sulking when the young blokes wouldnt give him a cheap handball or things didn't go his way.

We all see it, but our senior coach seems to be a massive part of this problem. We need change

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great Escape style

MMbT5r.gif
Only problem with Great Escape style is that only 3 of the 76 made it, and of the 73 recaptured, 50 were executed.

Oh you mean Dawson and Keys should pull their heads in .....I notice no-one is prepared to have a go at them

Rachele one of our best ....cmon, get off the grass
Laird doesn't like it. He can focus on improving his own game. There's no evidence that Keays or Dawson have an issue.

Absoluitely poathetic targeted a youn g footballer publicly over this. Horrendous personal development.

Rachele has been in our top three on a number of critical areas over the last six weeks. You should know that Wayne.

He'd be devastated .....but the group is bigger than the individual, and the group has spoke (apparently)

Ginnivan has never done what Rachele did .....his biggest criticism was diving and on-field antics
This can't be serious.

Ginnivan did the on field selfie, FFS. Hawthorn's ridiculous celebrations have been over the top - and they started when they were still struggling to win.

How pathetic is the instruction anyway. Don't do anything that upsets their crowd, our players won't be able to deal with the noise. We're such a depressingly weak willed entity. The only time we roll up the sleeves and get into it is when it comes to over-punishing a junior player.

So you don't think this call would raise alot of heat amongst supporters .....this call you think reflects not wanting pressure

I'd suggest this is a pretty tough call, knowing how it would impact Rachele .....nah, there's been no capitulation here ...quite the opposite in fact
There is tough calls & stupid calls.

Clearly you can't distinguish between the 2!

He'd be devastated .....but the group is bigger than the individual, and the group has spoke (apparently)

Ginnivan has never done what Rachele did .....his biggest criticism was diving and on-field antics
Another outright lie.

Ginnivan absolutely has celebrated more than Rachele... yet how has Mitchell responded? Embraced his enthusiasm of his younger players, rather than holding them out to dry.

You are seriously clueless about managing people.. yet make fanciful claims you can rebuild teams in organisations. With your attitude, you would have as much success as Birdbrain did at the Crows.

No you don't ....make a reasonable argument ....not emotional clap trap type posts like this

And once again, like all the ex RICH ferrals ....you'll be at the games next year, watching on TV .....supporters are so predictable
lol, the irony... as you haven't made a reasonable argument for years!

We are still waiting from you just one reason why Nicks should remain as coach, but you are in full distraction mode protecting AFC mediocrity making up lie after lie after lie.

Prioritising senior players (particularly underperfoming ones!) over younger players when you are doing a rebuild with one of the youngest, only demonstrates we have the wrong coach for the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back