Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not criticising in any way the Marathon unit, but Chien Wah are most definitely the superior dialy dimmie. Not that they're easy to find since Colesworths stopped stocking them, but worth the effort IMHO.
Sth Melb's definitely the reigning overlord, I'm sure everyone would agree.

Sth Melbourne ones have a lot more flavour than traditional dimmies.

I know a little lunch shop in Braeside, called "chop chop" ( no illegal tobacco there ), they make their own dimmies, and sell them frozen by the bag as well as for take away. Wouldn't say they are better than south melb, but they are different and good.

Those Centuries are good buying on the import market. In typical Japanese style its a 5 year apprenticeship before they let employees build them, and that's after they've already served on the normal production lines. They lose money on every single one. Probably the best made car on the planet then and still.

I've been in a few VAP's over the years, and i really don't see much correlation between worker skill and vehicle quality.
At best 5 years would weed out the ones who purposely want to sabotage the product ( was probably more of an issue in Australia than it ever would have been in Japan ).

Might have been more of a thing back in the 1960's when British Leyland workers had to try to install bits that didn't fit properly.

Just had a mad 5 mins of thunder, lightning, hail going at like 45 degree and hitting my doors. Literally just as the Blues lost, it's a sign, it has to be... this is the promised season.

But yeah it sounded tinny on my carport so it was quite heavy you know.

Just had a mad 5 mins of thunder, lightning, hail going at like 45 degree and hitting my doors. Literally just as the Blues lost, it's a sign, it has to be... this is the promised season.

But yeah it sounded tinny on my carport so it was quite heavy you know.

That was all the various gods cheering at once.
Even the old Greek and Nordic gods were pleased.

They are sure to look after us next season.

Used to be a restaurant in the st Kilda junction tai ping the dim sims were sublime.

Used to be a restaurant in the st Kilda junction tai ping the dim sims were sublime.

The whole story of dim sims in australia is so good they should make a movie about it.

“At that time, my eldest brother Tom checked into the business. My father asked Tom to deliver a box of dim sims to an elderly Chinese gentleman who lived in Cheltenham (a Melbourne suburb),” says Chong.

“While my brother was on his way to deliver them, he decided it was such a fine day, he’d stop and say hello to his good friend Joe, a Greek guy who owned a fish and chip shop near the Mordialloc area.”

The two friends ended up going fishing. Chong says when they got back, Tom told Joe, “I’ve got a box of these dim sims. If you like, I’ll cook them in your shop and you can have them for lunch.”

Joe decided to deep fry them, as “that’s the only way you could (cook them) in a fish and chip shop,” says Chong.

Joe said they were wonderful so Tom, instead of continuing with the delivery, left the box of dim sims there.

“Before the next day was over, Joe rung Tom at Wing Lee and said every one of his mates were asking where he got these dim sims,” says Chong.

As their popularity increased, the factory couldn’t keep up with demand.

So Chen engaged a German engineer to design the first ever dim sim machine to churn out these delights by the thousands.

“I was a little girl then,” recalls Chong. “I remember my father talking into late nights with the engineer about how he wanted the pastry done and how the machine should churn all the ingredients.”

The results were an immediate hit, she says, making Wing Lee Dim Sim the first Chinese factory to commercialize a fast food for the masses.

“Every fish and chip shop was clamoring for them. Supermarkets were now asking for them. So it wasn’t long before dim sims become an institution at every fish and chip shop in Victoria,” says Chong.

The whole story of dim sims in australia is so good they should make a movie about it.

“At that time, my eldest brother Tom checked into the business. My father asked Tom to deliver a box of dim sims to an elderly Chinese gentleman who lived in Cheltenham (a Melbourne suburb),” says Chong.

“While my brother was on his way to deliver them, he decided it was such a fine day, he’d stop and say hello to his good friend Joe, a Greek guy who owned a fish and chip shop near the Mordialloc area.”

The two friends ended up going fishing. Chong says when they got back, Tom told Joe, “I’ve got a box of these dim sims. If you like, I’ll cook them in your shop and you can have them for lunch.”

Joe decided to deep fry them, as “that’s the only way you could (cook them) in a fish and chip shop,” says Chong.

Joe said they were wonderful so Tom, instead of continuing with the delivery, left the box of dim sims there.

“Before the next day was over, Joe rung Tom at Wing Lee and said every one of his mates were asking where he got these dim sims,” says Chong.

As their popularity increased, the factory couldn’t keep up with demand.

So Chen engaged a German engineer to design the first ever dim sim machine to churn out these delights by the thousands.

“I was a little girl then,” recalls Chong. “I remember my father talking into late nights with the engineer about how he wanted the pastry done and how the machine should churn all the ingredients.”

The results were an immediate hit, she says, making Wing Lee Dim Sim the first Chinese factory to commercialize a fast food for the masses.

“Every fish and chip shop was clamoring for them. Supermarkets were now asking for them. So it wasn’t long before dim sims become an institution at every fish and chip shop in Victoria,” says Chong.
Nothing ever to this day tasted like the tai ping dims sims, not even close. I’ve eaten in house with my wife and friends and it was first class but more importantly these dim sims were a staple through various family crises. I remember stopping and getting these while my dad was in prince Henry’s after a heart attack

Last edited:
That was all the various gods cheering at once.
Even the old Greek and Nordic gods were pleased.

They are sure to look after us next season.

Pissed down in Japan as soon as the game ended too. Even the Asian gods want in.

St Kilda trying to land a midfielder and planes trying to land at my Japan local two days ago.

We eventually get one!

0:15 Imagine being the ANA pilots on the ground taxing for take-off and watching that.

Where are you SG? I’m in Japan at the moment and went to Nara yesterday. It was nearly abandoned and one of the few days that wasn’t oppressively hot. I like Shan Shan until I can get on a flight tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of fun on the train home from the footy.
Some bloke clearly drunk with a half bottle of Jim Beam gets on.

PSOs at Oakleigh talk to him.
PSOs at Clayton take the Jim Beam off him.
PSO's at Westall deal with him.
Was at the Flinders st. Station last year with my miso.
We had been to the Swans Pies game earlier, the one were the pies fans were booing at all the swans players when they were taking shots for goal. We were watching this drunk pies fans try to get the vending machine to do his bidding for him and it was non compliant...my partner says to him " why don't you try booing at it"...to his credit he had a laugh.

Was at the Flinders st. Station last year with my miso.
We had been to the Swans Pies game earlier, the one were the pies fans were booing at all the swans players when they were taking shots for goal. We were watching this drunk pies fans try to get the vending machine to do his bidding for him and it was non compliant...my partner says to him " why don't you try booing at it"...to his credit he had a laugh.

Hey JC, being a guy who always seems to attract people who want to chat, I meet a guy at the airport who was a Riverina farmer on his way up to Queensland because he'd invested in a scheme to turn rice stalks into panelling for building. I mentioned that I'd heard of someone doing something similar with hemp.

He rattled off a bunch of names that he wanted to know which one. Didn't want to say it was Jesus from Bigfooty incase he thought I was NQR. He seemed to be aware of the stuff. He looked like an old hayseed but was sharp as a tack and funny in a country dry humour way.

You might be famous among the alternative building industry folks.

Hey JC, being a guy who always seems to attract people who want to chat, I meet a guy at the airport who was a Riverina farmer on his way up to Queensland because he'd invested in a scheme to turn rice stalks into panelling for building. I mentioned that I'd heard of someone doing something similar with hemp.
Q
He rattled off a bunch of names that he wanted to know which one. Didn't want to say it was Jesus from Bigfooty incase he thought I was NQR. He seemed to be aware of the stuff. He looked like an old hayseed but was sharp as a tack and funny in a country dry humour way.

You might be famous among the alternative building industry folks.
G'day mate.
Lol I am glad you didn't out me 🤣 currently only two people know my Big footy name and my real name.😅 And now maybe three😉😄
I get into in big discussions with random people quite a bit as well, lol. I get told all sorts of stuff, and have some wicked experiences too.
It's a small world hey, the reason you met him in the airport was because of me🥰.
The bloke is a dude. smart cookie too..he was awarded a Churchill scholarship in 2005 for his work with rice crop waste..
The ingenuity of Aussie farmers is both understated and undervalued in modern Oz society unfortunately.
.I was sounding out him and his mate about their potential co- participation in a DMT sess. snd trying flower products with me a few weeks ago after a 'save the world meeting' we had all been in, and he didn't say no...he goes that actually sounds pretty good, his mate agreed too🥰
The current Dream is to use his product for internal linings for my compact hempcrete homes..One the presses he is going up to check out will be located in his shed at Colly in the near future, all things going to plan 🤞🤞
Then that will help me moving towards achieving my goal of an 80% grown house.🥰

Last edited:
Horrible happenings again in the US.

Blows my mind as I send my kids off to school for the day.

Heartbreaking.

They really need to get gun control measures put in but can't see it ever happening unfortunately.

They really need to get gun control measures put in but can't see it ever happening unfortunately.
I have been to the USA numerous times for work, and whilst I love the history of some locations like Boston and Washington etc, their relationship with guns is something beyond my comprehension. In Houston I encountered the mindset of people carrying handguns as a normal part of life and having a rifle rack in the back of the cab of their "truck"!! WTF - are you expecting to encounter a nice, juicy deer in peak hour Houston traffic?!!

As I work for a multi-national corporation with some staff like me who travel a lot, we use a service provider for travel insurance and assistance service provision for travelers (if you get sick overseas, get kidnapped, caught up in a natural disaster etc). Like most these days they have an app on your mobile to access info or contact them etc, and I noticed on a recent trip to the east coast of the USA how often that app pinged me, issuing warnings of shootings in my vicinity! It was a daily occurrence. And when I say my vicinity, I mean within a couple of km's.......

Mind-blowing to have that as a normal part of daily life.

I have been to the USA numerous times for work, and whilst I love the history of some locations like Boston and Washington etc, their relationship with guns is something beyond my comprehension. In Houston I encountered the mindset of people carrying handguns as a normal part of life and having a rifle rack in the back of the cab of their "truck"!! WTF - are you expecting to encounter a nice, juicy deer in peak hour Houston traffic?!!

As I work for a multi-national corporation with some staff like me who travel a lot, we use a service provider for travel insurance and assistance service provision for travelers (if you get sick overseas, get kidnapped, caught up in a natural disaster etc). Like most these days they have an app on your mobile to access info or contact them etc, and I noticed on a recent trip to the east coast of the USA how often that app pinged me, issuing warnings of shootings in my vicinity! It was a daily occurrence. And when I say my vicinity, I mean within a couple of km's.......

Mind-blowing to have that as a normal part of daily life.

So I grew up around farming, when I was 10 I could basically drive stick, fix a motor/quad bike and poorly maintain a bolt action rifle. I also had my first taste of red wine about 2 years prior after we dredged a lake and took some yabbies back for eating; fruity goodness. I've also been on call whilst a friend just out of Illinois was at a bowling club and had to then be evacuated cause someone shot up the place. That was surreal AF.

Suffice to say; I was brought up with empathy to all living things and sometimes you just gotta look at something and go "I can use your meat and you destroy X, then rend them asunder". So there's a recognition of the power that that one bullet has to a living thing and you better be damned sure it's for the right reason to pull that trigger.

Theirs is largely born from entitlement, I do not believe most have that same connection and thus, I do not trust the majority with that access to ever visit the USA. To me, it is frankly unsafe to ever visit.

So I grew up around farming, when I was 10 I could basically drive stick, fix a motor/quad bike and poorly maintain a bolt action rifle. I also had my first taste of red wine about 2 years prior after we dredged a lake and took some yabbies back for eating; fruity goodness. I've also been on call whilst a friend just out of Illinois was at a bowling club and had to then be evacuated cause someone shot up the place. That was surreal AF.

Suffice to say; I was brought up with empathy to all living things and sometimes you just gotta look at something and go "I can use your meat and you destroy X, then rend them asunder". So there's a recognition of the power that that one bullet has to a living thing and you better be damned sure it's for the right reason to pull that trigger.

Theirs is largely born from entitlement, I do not believe most have that same connection and thus, I do not trust the majority with that access to ever visit the USA. To me, it is frankly unsafe to ever visit.

Real Aussies don't call it "drive stick" , or "stick shift ".

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back