AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the Tasmanian logo on the jumper? That can piss off.

Because like with every thing we were shafted on how we had to enter the league.

Despite having about the longest standing relationship with a women's footy club (the MOOGARS), we had to jump through hoops no other club needed to to be able to enter the league.

If the league was run at anything even approaching fair we would have been a foundation club under our own name.

I doubt you'll find any resistance at all to the idea of getting rid of the Tassie part of it.

And having read some of what you have posted about the AFLW, if I could offer any piece of advice, get on board with it. Where the AFL have been disappointing on about all fronts, the AFLW have been pretty brilliant. We have the best player and we just stomped about the last team that has had the wood on us. Jump on, we may just win the whole f***ing thing this year.

So much to love in that game - and yes I’ve watched them again - but maybe my favourite was Vicki Wall’s second goal. The confidence and the skill to do that from there, in the wind and with a ball she’s barely had in her hands for a year (and relatively very little over her whole life). She is really special.
Vicki (the great) Wall is a beast. Hope she stays injury free because she could be the difference in the finals.

Great win ladies, keep it going.

Because like with every thing we were shafted on how we had to enter the league.
That's not why we have stuck with the Tasmania partnership long after the initial contract expired, and long after the AFL required it.

The reason we still do it is because it help makes our AFLW program the most profitable one in the league.

That's not why we have stuck with the Tasmania partnership long after the initial contract expired, and long after the AFL required it.

The reason we still do it is because it help makes our AFLW program the most profitable one in the league.

I mean we did have to do backflips to get into the league and one of them was to represent a place that we've partnered with for some years. It stays because we are one football club and we are not about to drop anything Tasmania yet.

However it is surely finite.

I would expect that once the Devils are established in the AFL and the trickle on to the AFLW, it'll be a short road until we are just the North Melbourne Kangaroos and playing all our home games out of Arden St.

Last edited:
Because we are one football club and we are not about to drop anything Tasmania yet.

I would expect that once the Devils are established in the AFL and the trickle on to the AFLW, it'll be a short road until we are just the North Melbourne Kangaroos and playing all our home games out of Arden St.
As finite as the current ASA rules are, which expire for all AFLW teams at the end of this year (except for Sydney, who get special allowance to keep paying Molloy and McEvoy outside the cap for at least another 2 years).

I mean we did have to do backflips to get into the league and one of them was to represent a place that we've partnered with for some years. It stays because we are one football club and we are not about to drop anything Tasmania yet.

I got similar vibes yesterday as the day the mens team beat Adelaide in 1999 - to exact revenge for our *GF loss. The rest is history…

And with the metro stop open, a perfect time to upgrade the ground again.

And with the metro stop open, a perfect time to upgrade the ground again.
This might short-circuit a few people but having the AFLW team (and to a lesser extent the VFLW team) playing and training at Arden St full-time is going to be crucial for any successful funding applications. Unlike Collingwood or Geelong we don't get money thrown at us each election (think Collingwood receiving $16.5 million from the 'Regional Grants Fund').

Would be brilliant to have an upgrade to spectator facilities at Arden St. We would currently have the worst spectator facilities in the league, so any upgrades would be an improvement. Actually, I can't think of a country footy ground that I played at that had worse spectator facilities. Not a shot at the club as our financial situation meant we had to focus on rebuilding Arden St and the training facilities as well as paying down the debt. Hopefully the upgrade happens and we can continue to build on the support for the team.

Not sure who'll win the footy, but I'm confident climate change is leading in the contest against humanity.

35 degrees on 1 September - it might be queensland, but really
I remember it being 38 in August nearly 20 years ago up there. 100km south of Brissie in Northern NSW.

30 - 32 could be considered normal and 35 is hot but not unusual for late August and September up there. Its often dry, clear skies and hot sun all day. But sometimes storm season comes early and that actually seems to make it hotter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember it being 38 in August nearly 20 years ago up there. 100km south of Brissie in Northern NSW.

30 - 32 could be considered normal and 35 is hot but not unusual for late August and September up there. Its often dry, clear skies and hot sun all day. But sometimes storm season comes early and that actually seems to make it hotter.
Sure, there's always been hot days - the problem is there are more of them

1725242055814.png

This might short-circuit a few people but having the AFLW team (and to a lesser extent the VFLW team) playing and training at Arden St full-time is going to be crucial for any successful funding applications. Unlike Collingwood or Geelong we don't get money thrown at us each election (think Collingwood receiving $16.5 million from the 'Regional Grants Fund').

Would be brilliant to have an upgrade to spectator facilities at Arden St. We would currently have the worst spectator facilities in the league, so any upgrades would be an improvement. Actually, I can't think of a country footy ground that I played at that had worse spectator facilities. Not a shot at the club as our financial situation meant we had to focus on rebuilding Arden St and the training facilities as well as paying down the debt. Hopefully the upgrade happens and we can continue to build on the support for the team.

Yep, it is literally the only way to do it.

Despite having about the longest standing relationship with a women's footy club (the MOOGARS), we had to jump through hoops no other club needed to to be able to enter the league.

If the league was run at anything even approaching fair we would have been a foundation club under our own name.

I doubt you'll find any resistance at all to the idea of getting rid of the Tassie part of it.

And having read some of what you have posted about the AFLW, if I could offer any piece of advice, get on board with it. Where the AFL have been disappointing on about all fronts, the AFLW have been pretty brilliant. We have the best player and we just stomped about the last team that has had the wood on us. Jump on, we may just win the whole f***ing thing this year.
IMG_5420.jpeg

Why is the Tasmanian logo on the jumper? That can piss off.
You know that long and drawn out series of utter crap you posted last week about the Women's team losing the club money and causing the men's team to be no good? Well, that entirely irrational and fact-challenged tantrum of yours is exposed by the reality that Tasmanian money is what makes the AFLW team a profit centre for the football club.

Prior to AFLW, there was no real reason for any club to develop or maintain spectator facilities at their training ground. Ours just so happens to be particularly compromised by the local community need for accessible green space with mature trees. Also, the fact that we were more or less the first to abandon our home ground for games in favour of the MCG, which meant that legacy spectator facilities had long since been torn down. Other clubs had the opportunity to refurbish more recently used facilities.

I'm sure that building better spectator facilities is well and truly on Sonja and Jen's to-do / wish list.

Prior to AFLW, there was no real reason for any club to develop or maintain spectator facilities at their training ground. Ours just so happens to be particularly compromised by the local community need for accessible green space with mature trees. Also, the fact that we were more or less the first to abandon our home ground for games in favour of the MCG, which meant that legacy spectator facilities had long since been torn down. Other clubs had the opportunity to refurbish more recently used facilities.

I'm sure that building better spectator facilities is well and truly on Sonja and Jen's to-do / wish list.
Yep, timing of events is a key factor. If AFLW existed when the club redeveloped Arden St then some sort of spectator facilities would have either been built or at least been planned for at a future stage.

I guess it will be, but I love sitting on the grass or standing at the fence to watch my team play. Lots of things I’d like them to be spending money on ahead of that.

You know that long and drawn out series of utter crap you posted last week about the Women's team losing the club money and causing the men's team to be no good? Well, that entirely irrational and fact-challenged tantrum of yours is exposed by the reality that Tasmanian money is what makes the AFLW team a profit centre for the football club.
I’ll give it a rest but i’d like to point you to the annual report and you can peruse at your own pace.

Yep, timing of events is a key factor. If AFLW existed when the club redeveloped Arden St then some sort of spectator facilities would have either been built or at least been planned for at a future stage.

Speaking of, I want to preface by saying I truly admire Euge and all he did for the club, especially around the redevelopment and in particular, the way he managed to slice $1 million from construction costs by removing the curvature of the building design around the oval perimeter. However, with the benefit of hindsight and when you look at it in light of VFL and AFLW games, and compare it with the redevelopment at Punt Rd for example, I do wonder if the original and more expensive design would have served us better for hosting games. It's hard to know without seeing the plans and what was intended, and I also appreciate that the savings Euge achieved were essential to get the thing built at that time.

I just went on twitter for the first time in a long while, that place is infested with dudes like him. Its pretty sad how offended all these people are over the very existence of the aflw league. It was pretty obvious that just like trump supporters you just can't reason with them. He will never change his prejudice, he will just keep moving the goal posts.

I’ll give it a rest but i’d like to point you to the annual report and you can peruse at your own pace.
...the annual report shows the AFLW program got $2,245,627 from the AFL's pockets (not the club's). It doesn't specifically mention the other $2m the team brought in via things like sponsorship (including $500k from the Tasmanian deal) and membership.

TPP for the team was $1,795,148. And even accounting for ASAs and other FD spending, it's clear the team is generating a profit.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back