AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

...the annual report shows the AFLW program got $2,245,627 from the AFL's pockets (not the club's). It doesn't specifically mention the other $2m the team brought in via things like sponsorship (including $500k from the Tasmanian deal) and membership.

TPP for the team was $1,795,148. And even accounting for ASAs and other FD spending, it's clear the team is generating a profit.

Teen Wolf brings the receipts.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Caught myself saying a number of times yesterday while watching the game "geez, I wish our men's team could do something like that".

Also, after watching bits and pieces of quite a few of the AFLW games over the weekend, our skill level and ball movement really stood out to me.

Caught myself saying a number of times yesterday while watching the game "geez, I wish our men's team could do something like that".

Also, after watching bits and pieces of quite a few of the AFLW games over the weekend, our skill level and ball movement really stood out to me.
Especially watching it on tv, in the frame you’d see one of our players boot the ball and think as a reflex that it’s gone nowhere/to an opponent only for the camera to move and show the ball hitting a teammate downfield. It happened over and over again, by the last quarter I was conditioned to expect it.

And yes, a reflex from watching both our men’s season and a bunch of other W games.

Also caught myself after Brisbane got the first goal of the last quarter and getting within 43 points thinking, "Watch these losers fudge this up" conditioned to watching the men's team and forgetting that this team actually has strong on field leadership, belief and maturity.

Last edited:
Just on umpiring, I can't comment on neutral games but "level up" goals feel more prevalent in AFLW.

In a one sided AFL game the lower side is often left to stew in their own juices. In just about every AFLW game I've seen where we're in complete control, a contentious free has been engineered to get the other side on the scoreboard.

Obviously it's completely coincidental because I'm assured umpiring is completely and utterly fair, objective and above board no matter the league.

Also caught myself after Brisbane got the first goal of the last quarter and getting within 43 point thinking, "Watch these losers fudge this up" conditioned to watching the men's team and forgetting that this team actually has strong on field leadership, belief and maturity.
To be fair - and as the commentators pointed out - we’ve got ourselves in front of them a few times and been run over at the end. But there was no way this team was dropping an eight goal lead!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, we couldn't buy a holding the ball or incorrect disposal call yesterday, plenty of unrewarded tackles where Lions had prior.

Surely, if they are seriously saying this tackle is cause for a suspension, they have to be better, quicker and more consistent in paying those other decisions to avoid the need for stronger tackles.

I hope we appeal, Alice did everything right tackling the player who was already falling forward.

There was a tackle in the fourth where one of the Brisbane players jumped into Kearney knees first, I wonder if that tackle was looked at.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back