News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very disappointing, a new stadium here should be an exciting opportunity to build something great, innovative, set the city up for the 21st century, etc. Yet we have people governing who seem to be entirely visionless, and so called progressives who are in fact against any actual progress. I think the club needs to team up big business & take charge before the opportunity of a lifetime slips through our fingers like so many of our attempted marks up forward have this season.

It's very disappointing, a new stadium here should be an exciting opportunity to build something great, innovative, set the city up for the 21st century, etc. Yet we have people governing who seem to be entirely visionless, and so called progressives who are in fact against any actual progress. I think the club needs to team up big business & take charge before the opportunity of a lifetime slips through our fingers like so many of our attempted marks up forward have this season.
+ Cricket Australia... they would carry a lot more weight than our club. The AFL should also be heavily lobbying for the new Stadium.

Funding in Australia for stadiums looks like it is very different than in the US.
This video on Nissan Stadium in Tennessee due for completion in 2027
Has some similarities to the Gabba in that it is outdated and no way to renovate it without a huge amount of money
Unlike the Gabba it has enough room in their carpark to build a new one then knock the old one down

I am not sure we could get the Lions, Qld Cricket, AFL and Cricket Australia to come to the party like the funding in this video.
That being $810 million or 38.6% of the total costs to be paid over 40 years.
Screenshot of the funding breakup below.
Dividing that by 4 that's just over 5 million a year for each party.
The second video explains the funding in a bit more detail

1725426608430.png

Some venue discussions on YouTube

A pretty good video. His plan came up some time ago.
Seeing the Athletics village at Hamilton has advanced somewhat in the procurement/tender process his idea won't happen.
He had the new stadium being built over the Cross River Rail site which is fine if it is feasible and of similar costs as VP.
Then pulling down the Gabba and building the Athletics Village.
That won't happen because of the above and i doubt it would be able to get completed in time for the Games anyhow.
His plan: Build a Stadium, then pull down the Gabba then build a 10k capacity Athletics Village on the Gabba site.
Sell the units after the Olympics

It still does not address the main issue being the funding model.
The state can't afford a new stadium under the existing funding model.
Thats just a fact nobody in the media has mentioned to my knowledge
They are $1.5-$1.8 billion short when putting the QSAC money towards a new stadium
Architects can come up with all these plans that look great but won't see the light of day unless the funding model changes

It is like 2 single people have not enough money/deposit to buy or finance a house worth say $1million.
However, if they got married, pool their money they can now buy the house or get finance for the house.

Some excerpts in this article in The Australian: Queensland opposition leader rules out $1.6bn Olympic stadium rebuild

Queensland’s Liberal National Party leader David Crisafulli has ruled out sinking $1.6bn of taxpayer money into a plan to rebuild a near 50-year-old stadium as the Brisbane Olympics main athletics hub.
Mr Crisafulli had previously hinted that an LNP government would drop QSAC as an option, but on Wednesday blasted it as a “horrendous plan” that’s prospects were “zilch”.
“I don’t think there is any scenario where any Queenslander looks at that plan and doesn’t see anything but cringe-worthiness from a desperate government,” he said.
“You can ask it a million ways, there is no one who believes that project is either value for money or provides a legacy option.”
The state opposition leader, who successive public polls suggest will win majority government at next month’s state election, said there was no Queenslander who believed QSAC was a “good deal”.
“Whilst I look forward to the results of the 100-day review, if a project like that came out the other end at a time when Queenslanders are yearning to be proud of their government and their state on the world stage then I would be stunned, I would be stunned,” he said.
“You know as well as I do what has been proposed there, by anyone’s measure, is neither visionary nor cost effective,” he said.
“The idea of spending well north of a billion dollars on temporary facilities for something in the middle of the bush, it doesn’t make sense in anyone’s language.”

And yet he won't commit to a new stadium.
If only he said i don't think we need to build a new stadium but i will wait for the 100-day review
Instead of following Labor "no new stadium" to neutralize votes on that issue.
Same with the 50-cent public transport commitment to be permanent. No lost votes in that area now.
I can understand Labor promising the world as they were so far behind in the polls it was unlikely they are reelected.
He is desperate to win an unlosable election according to polls a month ago. He will worry about paying for things later.

What is he going to do with the $1.6 billion. He can't funnel it into paying for election promises.
Where in the back of his mind is he planning to have athletics?

I saw the new tas stadium estimate went up again. Up to almost $800m. Will be prob 1.2b by the time it’s done.

That estimate always seemed impossibly low. I reckon Quirk went with $3.2 billion for Vic Park knowing it would actually be able to be delivered under that price.

That estimate always seemed impossibly low. I reckon Quirk went with $3.2 billion for Vic Park knowing it would actually be able to be delivered under that price.

I can’t remember the details but I think thats the only bit I wasn’t a fan of in the report. It really should have been a range or cost comparisons of other similar stadiums adjusted for inflation. Putting a number like that out there in those circumstances was a bit of a killer tbh.

If only he said i don't think we need to build a new stadium but i will wait for the 100-day review
Given what Crisafulli has said in the past, there's only 2 possible outcomes now.

1. He backflips and includes a new stadium build in the 100 day review.
2. He does a minor rebuild of the Gabba

The Opposition has vowed to conduct an independent review into Olympic and Paralympic projects within 100 days if elected in October.
But Mr Crisafulli says the review’s parameters will not change to include new stadium builds, pointing to a potential return to the Gabba as Brisbane’s choice venue.

Given what Crisafulli has said in the past, there's only 2 possible outcomes now.

1. He backflips and includes a new stadium build in the 100 day review.
2. He does a minor rebuild of the Gabba

I think he just needs to get in and then the ‘authority’ can recommend whatever is preferable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane 2032 Chief urging AFL and Cricket to lead the charge on a new stadium

He sounds very much behind a new stadium, but understandably doesn’t want the narrative to be its only happening because of the Olympics.

Mr Liveris said once football and cricket leaders had made a decision to ensure the viability of their sports, "then we will fold right in and support you".

The AFL, Brisbane Lions, and Cricket Australia all want a new stadium in Brisbane. What is this guy talking about.

The only way I see that working is if Vulture and Stanley Streets become tunnels or there is extensive raised Promenades to ease the pedestrian chaos before and post events.
It would be bedlam

Brisbane 2032 Chief urging AFL and Cricket to lead the charge on a new stadium

He sounds very much behind a new stadium, but understandably doesn’t want the narrative to be its only happening because of the Olympics.
Very early in this thread i mentioned nobody (politicians/media) has been talking about revenue, it has all been about costs.
Thats the negative all voters have been hearing all the way to the $3+ billion figure.
People stating no way should we pay $3 billion+. We have a cost-of-living & housing crisis, school problems, traffic chaos etc.
The opposition were not going to say anything about revenue why would they. They just saw lost Labor votes in the stuff- ups.

It's good to see someone of authority making that obvious point on revenue.
He mentions an overall budget of $5 billion.
Seeing it is $7 billion of outlays by both governments i can only assume he has put the $2.4 billion IOC guarantee and/or some other possible income to arrive at that figure as a starting point.
That guarantee can be a lot higher depending on the game's success.

At least it is good to see someone else from the Committee sort of saying something better than QSAC is needed.
Cindy Hook Olympic Commitee CEO mentions a new stadium about 4 months ago, how time flies and nothing happens. See video below.
I think what both are saying is they have to work with the government approved venues no matter what.
It is obvious the Committee would rather work with something that at least looks okay for the athletics not QSAC.

They don't have a direct say to the government. A pressor is about the best they can do to get a message out.

How do we interpret his pressor.
AFL & Cricket are happy that they have a home leading up to the Olympics. Maybe he is saying that was an issue.
Or maybe Liveris is saying both organizations should be fronting up with some cash to contribute to a new stadium
Or Lions and cricket supporters that have the most to lose in the long run should be lobbing their state member demanding a new stadium, more so than the general public.
He may also be insinuating the AFL & Cricket chose to not relocate and later use a run-down Gabba.

He is basically a politician too. He drops a bit of a bomb, can't recommend a solution and hopes some good comes out of it.

The AFL, Lions and Cricket get a lot of help from governments so maybe reluctant to get further involved

Same with the 50-cent public transport commitment to be permanent. No lost votes in that area now.
I can understand Labor promising the world as they were so far behind in the polls it was unlikely they are reelected.
He is desperate to win an unlosable election according to polls a month ago. He will worry about paying for things later.

What is he going to do with the $1.6 billion. He can't funnel it into paying for election promises.
Where in the back of his mind is he planning to have athletics?
Standard opposition tactics: "I won't do this and I won't do that". But silence of course on what they actually WILL do.

Channel 7 news
Their take on Liveris statement/pressor.
Brisbane needs a bigger venue for athletics

They mentioned Crisafulli stated "no new taxpayers money will be used for a new stadium".

If that is true, the "new" bit, that gives him an out if they go with my suggestion using existing funding

The short version below. Long version post 5233. I have since downgraded the QSAC part to $0.15 billion for a training track
Cancel the commonwealth/state agreement. Go 50/50 split which is the usual process.
Cancel the Brisbane Arena project. Build a new swimming venue at Chandler
New stadium at Victoria Park.
After Olympics pull down Gabba. Build Entertainment Centre on the Gabba site.
Partly funded by land sales from the Gabba site.
Sale of land in this site to developer for units/mixed business/greenspace.
Consideration to see if the Entertainment Centre can be built on the Cross-River Rail location above Wooloongabba rail station.
This would make more space available on the Gabba site to sell to developers which would be preferrable.

Last edited:
Seb Coe running for IOC presidency. He's got a lot of time for Australia and it's athletes - I imagine if he got over the line it could only be a good thing.

Seb Coe enters race to become IOC president

Coe said: “I’m excited and honoured to share with you that I’ll be running for the Presidency of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as announced by the IOC a short while ago.

“Olympic sport is fundamental to my DNA. I had the privilege of being a double Olympic Champion, I’ve chaired an Olympic and Paralympic Games – London 2012 – from bid, through delivery and legacy implementation, I’ve chaired a National Olympic Committee, the BOA, and I’ve led an international federation through some turbulent times, retaining athletics’ position as a cornerstone of the Olympic Games.

“Sport plays a critical role in driving and maintaining the health and fitness of people, young and old, in every country around the world. But it faces significant challenges on multiple fronts.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back