News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very disappointing, a new stadium here should be an exciting opportunity to build something great, innovative, set the city up for the 21st century, etc. Yet we have people governing who seem to be entirely visionless, and so called progressives who are in fact against any actual progress. I think the club needs to team up big business & take charge before the opportunity of a lifetime slips through our fingers like so many of our attempted marks up forward have this season.

It's very disappointing, a new stadium here should be an exciting opportunity to build something great, innovative, set the city up for the 21st century, etc. Yet we have people governing who seem to be entirely visionless, and so called progressives who are in fact against any actual progress. I think the club needs to team up big business & take charge before the opportunity of a lifetime slips through our fingers like so many of our attempted marks up forward have this season.
+ Cricket Australia... they would carry a lot more weight than our club. The AFL should also be heavily lobbying for the new Stadium.

Funding in Australia for stadiums looks like it is very different than in the US.
This video on Nissan Stadium in Tennessee due for completion in 2027
Has some similarities to the Gabba in that it is outdated and no way to renovate it without a huge amount of money
Unlike the Gabba it has enough room in their carpark to build a new one then knock the old one down

I am not sure we could get the Lions, Qld Cricket, AFL and Cricket Australia to come to the party like the funding in this video.
That being $810 million or 38.6% of the total costs to be paid over 40 years.
Screenshot of the funding breakup below.
Dividing that by 4 that's just over 5 million a year for each party.
The second video explains the funding in a bit more detail

1725426608430.png

Some venue discussions on YouTube

A pretty good video. His plan came up some time ago.
Seeing the Athletics village at Hamilton has advanced somewhat in the procurement/tender process his idea won't happen.
He had the new stadium being built over the Cross River Rail site which is fine if it is feasible and of similar costs as VP.
Then pulling down the Gabba and building the Athletics Village.
That won't happen because of the above and i doubt it would be able to get completed in time for the Games anyhow.
His plan: Build a Stadium, then pull down the Gabba then build a 10k capacity Athletics Village on the Gabba site.
Sell the units after the Olympics

It still does not address the main issue being the funding model.
The state can't afford a new stadium under the existing funding model.
Thats just a fact nobody in the media has mentioned to my knowledge
They are $1.5-$1.8 billion short when putting the QSAC money towards a new stadium
Architects can come up with all these plans that look great but won't see the light of day unless the funding model changes

It is like 2 single people have not enough money/deposit to buy or finance a house worth say $1million.
However, if they got married, pool their money they can now buy the house or get finance for the house.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Back