Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Suns Round 8 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need more speed in the team.

Zorko to start at HB and Wilmott to wing from the start. Fletcher wing relief.
I think Zorko went to HB sometime before half time.
When Ah Chee came off i think Wilmot was half back and wing relief.
The Wing Attendance Thread will show if that happened for Wilmot.

Out Fort in Oscar.
Out Ah Chee injured, in Reville (unlikely). Reville to take Baileys role.

Out Gardiner in Torrent (unlikely) as forward mid relief.
More forward time for Rayner as the 3rd tall.

Neale will get a tag again and he is not handling the few tags he has had well.
Need our guys to legally bump/run into his tag whenever they get the chance.
Lots of little bumps to tagger likely to be Miller will help Neal over the course of the game.

Our forwards are way off confidence wise around goal shooting and defense pressure way down also.
They continually miss getable shots on goal. Hitting the post is still a miss.
They had no confidence around the 45–50-meter shots on goal.
Meanwhile the opposition yesterday were slotting them through from that distance regularly.
GWS clearing the post easily which should have told our guys the distance was not a problem last night because of the conditions. Instead, they tried to either pass to the pocket or lay up around the 10 meters area to no effect.
Our forward 7 arguably the best in the AFL for the last few years has dropped off massively so far this year.
Goals scored the last two games: Cats 2-1-1-0, GWS 2-4-0-2

I am feeling a little for our defenders.
They are about the only line holding their own collectively even though they have conceded 89 points (78 overall) in our 5 losses.

Might be a good weekend to get away .
What's the weather prediction.
Heading to Melbourne from Brisbane this weekend for my wife’s 50th😯🥳
Very excited 😜 just for a couple of days but it will be good to get away

Just on the forwards.

Basically we've been playing with 6 half forwards for years now. Hipwood always looks better the further from goal he is and Joe is a superb field kick up the ground. Alas both of these guys are poor contested marks and terrible kicks for goal. Basically not key position forwards.

Linc is a superb player and Charlie is brilliant but without a tall , contested mark, key position player to work of they are ineffective.

Anyway, out of adversity comes opportunity.

Here's my plan.

Hippy gets a rest and is replaced by Morris.

Gardiner goes to defence......it's where he does his best work.

Harris Andrews goes to full forward with Charlie at his feet. Andrews is one of the best high marking players in the league, he's what we need up forward. Joe can then roam in a real center half forward style kicking from outside 60/70 meters.

A backline of Lester, Payne, Gardiner, Starcevich, wilmot and Mckenna is solid.

Pull the trigger Fages

Heading to Melbourne from Brisbane this weekend for my wife’s 50th😯🥳
Very excited 😜 just for a couple of days but it will be good to get away
Are you still going to Melbourne for the Hawks game Dalions?

We are, we already have everything booked, starting to think it could be game that doesn't get the excitement levels up, ah well at least I get to go to San Telmo again.

Don’t really care who comes in as long as they are fit and in some sort of form.

But Hipwood, Gardiner, Fort, Ah Chee out as a starting point.

Out: Gardiner, Ah Chee, Lester Fort.
In: Morris, Sharp, Brain, Oscar

Zorko to play back. Backline becomes:
Starch Andrews, Willmott
Zorko Payne McKenna

Rayner plays through the middle, Morris 3rd tall. Sharp replaces AhChee rotating on the wing and forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Out Fort,AhChee,Tunstill
In Big O,Morris,Prior

Ive been a fan of Gardiner but he just looked slow and out of sorts against the Giants. I just dont think Jimmy Tunstill is up to AFL standard. He just doesnt seem to add anything to the team. Low possession rate v play time,low tackle rate and interestingly we have only won 37% of the games he's played.That must mean something considering we have won the most games of any team in the last 5 years.Prior has proven he can be AFL standard and he has courage.
Tunstill had some mates v Giants. Charlie Cameron seemed dispirited. Kai Lohmann just let people run past him. Scared to smother as well. Hippy tries but its just not working. I would like to see him play wing or be the second Ruck instead of Joe. Let him be the sole big dog upfront. Kets face it Joe doesnt like Rucking.Swap Zorko and Wilmott. We looked much better with Zorks down back.
I doubt much of this will happen but its time for some change.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

IMG_6319.jpeg
“The Football Gods are sending a message. They are saying that this ‘changes’ thread is redundant. The only changes ever made by Fagan relate to replacing injured players and dropping whipping boys. They say Tunstill, Fort and Lohmann should be nervous, while Hipwood and Gardiner will get MULLIGANS.”

Are you still going to Melbourne for the Hawks game Dalions?

We are, we already have everything booked, starting to think it could be game that doesn't get the excitement levels up, ah well at least I get to go to San Telmo again.
Yeah, FIFO for that one.
Also have a trip booked to Adelaide for the Port game, staying overnight for that one.
Looking forward to the trips but not particularly confident of a win in either.

I think a shuffle of the chess pieces might be in order, with a few changes.

Forwards:
Linc, Payne, McKenna
Fletcher, Daniher, Cameron

Wings:
Wilmot, Sharp

Midfield:
O, Josh, Neale, McCluggage

Defence:
Starc, Andrews, Hipwood, Frog, Noah, Zorko

Bench: Berry, Gardiner, Reville, Torrent

Sub: Rayner

Out: AhChee, Lohmann, Fort, Tunstill
In: McInerney, Reville, Sharp, Torrent

We 100% need some speed.
Rayner needs a wake up call beyond Aker.
We need Hipwood to find some form. Try behind the ball.
Payne actually can take a contested mark so if we are going to kick long, let’s have him down there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a shuffle of the chess pieces might be in order, with a few changes.

Forwards:
Linc, Payne, McKenna
Fletcher, Daniher, Cameron

Wings:
Wilmot, Sharp

Midfield:
O, Josh, Neale, McCluggage

Defence:
Starc, Andrews, Hipwood, Frog, Noah, Zorko

Bench: Berry, Gardiner, Reville, Torrent

Sub: Rayner

Out: AhChee, Lohmann, Fort, Tunstill
In: McInerney, Reville, Sharp, Torrent

We 100% need some speed.
Rayner needs a wake up call beyond Aker.
We need Hipwood to find some form. Try behind the ball.
Payne actually can take a contested mark so if we are going to kick long, let’s have him down there.
Like the boldness of your suggestions.

I’d like to see:

Fort out and O in. Expected really.

Gardiner out and Ryan in.

Ah Chee out and Sharp in.

Sharp, Fletcher and Berry on the wings running hard is the biggest need. Want Answerth to go half forward and Zorko to go half back again. Need Lohmann and Answerth to gut running in transition if the ball leaves our fifty. If they are not up for it then I’m the future weeks see if Reville and Tunstill can.

I sound like an armchair expert but was the first time in a while I was incredibly unhappy with the poor running. Sharp should help that.

If Ah Chee didn’t get injured I’d also suggest playing him as the third tall since he plays best forward. Ryan was very good at ground level inside fifty for Hawthorn last year and is a decent contested mark so I’d like to see him play.

Surely young Morris comes in for this game. We need to do something about our forward line because it’s been the real let down this season.

Crazy how Rayner has a huge game against the Demons playing more midfield time but then ends up playing less midfield time against the Giants.
Zorko back to the halfback line with Answerth or Wilmot playing more time on the wing.

Big O back in or take a chance on one of the 15 young rucks we’ve got on our list.

Should get rid of Daniher. Crashes packs with only one arm up or flops for the free. Getting a bit sick and tired of him wheeling around from 55-60 out ignoring the open man and bombing a point.

Not entirely sure why Gardiner plays forward either.
Joe kicks a lot of goals wheeling around on to that left foot from outside 50 and when he does they're team lifters.

Likewise he's been one of our better players this year and the effort has been there.

As for Gardiner who would know.

Are we players in the Mid season draft? If so what should we look for? Inside Midfielder?

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah for sure. We only need a couple of running midfielders who can rack up 25+ , a ruckman and a key forward who's a strong contested mark and a straight kick. Also a tall wingman with pace and great disposal who can cover a lot of ground with a laser foot.

From the look of it, I've probably been more optimistic than most to the idea of Diz playing up forward. That third tall/mid-sized forward position is a problem for us, we don't really have anyone that fits there. It hasn't worked with Gardiner so far, but I don't really hold that against him, I think if the rest of our forward line was functioning anywhere the consistency or skill level we expect, things would be looking better, but it's clear we need to re-think things.

I don't think Rayner is the answer, He'll just be another body caught up in marking contests, and at this point he really needs to be playing predominantly midfield minutes. Diz doesn't really deserved to be dropped in my opinion, but I wonder if it would be worth swapping Lester with Gardiner. He's more likely to provide the forward pressure and tackling we're missing, and has the footy smarts and skills to still work on the lead or as a link up player.

Either way, what's really needed is a change in game plan more than any particular change in players, although I think a few players could do with some time in the VFL to gain confidence, more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back