Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the point.
You don’t get a top 5 player for peanuts. And you can’t do what Gold Coast did last year. It’s much fairer.
It is much fairer from year zero but it's a bitter pill after seeing what the dogs and lions have been able to do, just before the cut off
It's almost no discount, and paying for a top 5 player arguably requires a megatrade.

Let's use an 18th finish as an example: this year, it buys you pick 4 with your original pick allotment. Next year? Probably pick 10.

The AFL is asking you to leverage 1-2 drafts or a star player when you're in the middle of a tilt, with very little returned to you beyond the player. That's nuts... there is no real discount now, simply a limited ability to trade back.

Last edited:
Neither Campo boy in Cal Twoomey's Top 30 Draft Prospects.

Good from an acquisition perspective but maybe questions on the value they will bring to us???
You do wonder if clubs go to their F&S at some point in the year and go you're 100% going to be drafted.. ease off to prevent injury so you can start pre-season but also to muddy the waters on your value a bit.

Might have to get Charlie Curnow to mentor Cody very closely in his draft year.😉

🤣🤣🤣
"Cody, my connection has stipulated to expect booze bus behaviour here and here on these particular pre-draft dates"
"Charlie I aint got me license"
"Even better, driving without a license!"
"Winning!"

They've got another good mid coming through next year too
Sure do. This one will cost. Very frustrating that with two Ashcrofts, Marshall and Annable, they will basically be gifted a full next generation midfield.

The Campos should be good and Walker will be a star, but will cost us multiple top picks. Just need a runner to add to those names.

Ison and possibly Gresham, can give us some handy pieces next season.

There is a bloody good argument to give Houston a miss if he is going to cost us multiple firsts and impacting the kids we have coming.

Does anyone know what our NGA squad is called and who is the coach?

A friend of mine who is mad Carlton has had a few years involvement with the Danniher squad which is the Essendon academy squad, his boys are a part of it and the Calder Cannons use it to trial players.

His kids are constantly training in this squad throughout the year and got me wondering, what is our equivalent?

You do wonder if clubs go to their F&S at some point in the year and go you're 100% going to be drafted.. ease off to prevent injury so you can start pre-season but also to muddy the waters on your value a bit.
The Perth clubs have done it for ages.

Does anyone know what our NGA squad is called and who is the coach?

A friend of mine who is mad Carlton has had a few years involvement with the Danniher squad which is the Essendon academy squad, his boys are a part of it and the Calder Cannons use it to trial players.

His kids are constantly training in this squad throughout the year and got me wondering, what is our equivalent?
saad runs it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saad runs it

To be honest, that seems pretty amateurish off first glance, the link is to an instagram page, that’s not equivalent to the set up i mentioned Essendon having, no where does the link or the info on the page you linked mention the NGA or who the coach is, how often they meet or anything like that.

To be honest, that seems pretty amateurish off first glance, the link is to an instagram page, that’s not equivalent to the set up i mentioned Essendon having, no where does the link or the info on the page you linked mention the NGA or who the coach is, how often they meet or anything like that.
And yet our boys beat Essendon by over 50 points in their game this year.

And what relevance does the result of our match against * have to do with our academy being well run or not?

Yeah, an academy is just one small facet of on field performance. Fact is that * are going to have a kid from their NGA taken in the top 15 where we haven't even had anyone come close to sniffing a rating in that stratosphere.

Yeah, an academy is just one small facet of on field performance. Fact is that * are going to have a kid from their NGA taken in the top 15 where we haven't even had anyone come close to sniffing a rating in that stratosphere.
So that clearly means that the dogs have the best NGA in the business because they got a #1 pick from theirs.

Or else they were just lucky that JUH was in their zone and * lucky that Kako is in theirs. Hopefully we'll have some luck with Ison and Gresham the following year.

So that clearly means that the dogs have the best NGA in the business because they got a #1 pick from theirs.

Or else they were just lucky that JUH was in their zone and * lucky that Kako is in theirs. Hopefully we'll have some luck with Ison and Gresham the following year.

Or, we are in a league with 17 other teams and if there was a ranking of the academies and the academy pathways, we would sit somewhere on that list, where we would sit would change from poster poster, but as we haven’t had a draftee from the academy I wouldn’t be confident we are at the top.

But if you’re interested, google the Danniher squad and the Hird squad which are the Essendon NGA feeder squad for juniors and then for U/18s and look at how its presented, communicated and integrated in to the football clubs website.

Within 2 minutes i was able to look up on the * website every NGA player eligible and F/S eligible for the next 2 years, i was able to see who is the coach of the Danniher squad and read what his role is in the program.

Then go and type Peter Dean academy in to google and you find, crap, nothing on our website, no names of eligible players, its like it doesnt exist, you type the Adam Saad squad which another poster raised as the equivalent of the Danniher squad, but that just takes you to an instagram page of community engagement, doesnt mention our NGA anywhere or anything related to our club.

The Danniher academy runs for 9 weeks at the conclusion of the junior footy season, its filled with their father sons, NGAs and players who are trying out for Calder Cannons, the coach of this academy is employed by * and also by Calder, he is there to help transition the eligible players who might have a chance at AFL, in to the Calder squad. The Bombers and Calder work together.

Now I can’t find anything like this in relation to our club, no squads, no coaches, nothing on our website.

The club has long been criticised for not putting enough time and resources in to the academy and it shows when you try and find any information on the matter, you learn more from this site than you do from the club.

Im not referencing just getting lucky as some clubs might just be doing that, our club seems to be behind a few others in taking it seriously and putting in the effort.

Can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket. Obviously an element of luck is involved, but we have what should be a pretty good zone yet we haven't even seen an NGA player make it on to our main list. Correct me if I am wrong but Akuei is the only player from ours to be drafted full stop.

There have been loads of players from NGA academies in the national drafted in recent years, yet not a single one is from ours. The Saints have have Michito Owens, Windhager, and Cam Mackenzie (couldn't match Hawthorns bid). Dees have had Toby Bedford and Mac Andrews, both fantastic players. North Melbourne have had Thomas (this is going back a bit but still) and Sanders both in the top 10. Would these players have all found their way into the draft anyway? Most, maybe. But why have there been dozens of players drafted from the other VIC team's academies but not ours?

Luck is involved but its not the only factor. Now that the bidding process is wide open for NGAs again, I want to see the club invest into it as much as possible. Every advantage should be chased after and this is potentially a huge one. I am really happy to see Ison and Gresham looking like draftable players. These things take a long time to pay off, and I hope those two coming through is a reflection of work we have put into the academy in the last few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back