News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of respect for our new high performance overlord I feel the need to note that his surname is

Inness.

Double s.

If we are to demand this man deliver us premierships we must leave no stone unturned in our own referencing and discussion.

In all seriousness I’ve had a little bit to do with his brother and he’s a pretty high quality person/operator so I have no doubts the club is in really good hands

Looks like he'll be the next Cunningham...

I would be shocked if he wasn't getting Russell's paycheck at least.

No chance in Hell. Russell was by far the highest paid high performance manager in the AFL. He signed with the club at absolute top dollar (Hawks wouldn't mstch and were pissed when we got it done) prior to Covid and before footy department spend was hard capped.

The plan at that point was to get nothing but the absolute best staff. The cap stopped that from happening and Russell's contract really put a limit on what we were able to do with the rest of the footy department.

Not so concerned about wage specifics. More concerned with what we do with the rest of the footy department spend. This should position us to add some more ofr-field talent but removing Russell was always going to position us to do that regardless of who signed.

Last edited:
He's leaving. I'd be surprised if he is heavily involved right now.

His contract doesn't expire until the end of the season. He is still a contracted employee in a significant off-field role. Almost as important in the day to day as any other coach.

He will be active with the squad until the end of the season.

Couldn’t really mine too much info, there is an interview on YouTube but deals only in generalities ie yes I get them strong and fit pre/in season
Dane rampe said that he empowers the individual to take more responsibility and the players were feeling refreshed under his approach, buddy franklins injury recovery and reengagement was seen as miraculous late in his career.
There were references to state of the art training equipment/facilities made available under his tenure.
General comments are positive bordering on glowing from both Richmond and swans fans here on big footy and other social media sites.

Hope there is a proactive/professional handover in progress giving him all the injury, biomechanical, individual etc. fitness profiles.

The Bondi lifestyle? Never heard something so funny. Least desirable location in Sydney... Only in front of the overly hot west and the housing commish in Waterloo...

Its cash + time for a change. Simple as. the swans have 'sold' their setup around the world previously.

Just a figure of speech that the Victorians understand!

More about the much better weather, much more to do and see, great beaches, perfect place to be a high performance manager!

It’s definitely about the money, FYI…

*Woolwich/Hunters Hill go alright…!

Don't have numbers, but we had a lot of injuries in Innes' last two years at the club (2019/20), but always managed to get them all fit and healthy at the right time of year.

Innes wasn't the man in charge at that time though, but was highly regarded and things definitely got worse after he left.

Thanks for the input.

We were all hoping that after last year when Russell got all of Marchbank, Cunners and Martin back and fit for the last quarter of the season and finals that he was also timing the run perfectly.

Alas a new season starts and all of those players fell off the perch and are now suffering the fate of the Norwegian sparrow! (Monty Python for those who need the reference, shame on you !!!!!)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I must really commend the top brass currently at our club, Cook and Sayers et al.

I’m sure the fact the we are putting in place our very own medical and imaging facilities at Princes Park would be a significant draw card for Inness and anyone else interested in sports medicine and elite performance management.

This kind of stuff is truly an amazing testament to their commitment and relentless determination to be the best AFL club in the land.

I feel very privileged to support this great club!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mentally he may be slightly switched off, but he's still being paid good $$$ and the reality is as crap as his department has been the last few years we still need him until our season is officially done.

Put it this way, he isn't planning heavy training sessions during a finals series. He isn't trying to get them fit because they are as fit as they can be. He's not drawing up individual off season plans.

All of his work has been done.

Put it this way, he isn't planning heavy training sessions during a finals series. He isn't trying to get them fit because they are as fit as they can be. He's not drawing up individual off season plans.

All of his work has been done.

In fairness he only had the one preseason plan - see how many he could get to break down by April.

We would’ve had to pay well above to ‘Poach’ him from the Swans I reckon…
Definitely not the case.
I can't even begin to say how happy I am with this signing.
This guy is an absolute gun, and he has not broken the bank by any stretch of the imagination.

This really is a sign of what I like to call the Cook effect.
There were several voices inside going very hard for Burgess. A godfather style (Russell sized) offer was being prepared and spoken about. We learnt relatively late on in the piece that Inness was keen to get back to Victoria. He was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered to return back to Richmond. Seriously, they had already started putting his name on the office door.
But once we caught wind of his desire to return we put our cap in the mix, and managed to get him to choose us.

Although he has quite the resume, he is still an up and coming guy in the industry. Far cheaper than some of the other names we've had and were looking at. But also younger and with a very different and modern view on training methods. He is still on the upward trajectory, and its so refreshing to get the guy that is touted as the next guru for a change rather than getting the guy that has been to the top and is perhaps.. old school.. (to put it politely)

From what I've been told from people outside of Carlton, he isn't driven by money, he is still at the age that his main goal is developing and betting the industry he's in.
So he's driven by learning, developing, redefining and bettering sports high performance.
And he's also very big on the idea that High Performance departments require a strong team. No single Messiah can achieve what a strong team can.

Once again, this really is a massive coup for us, and is probably the most New Carlton signing I've seen.

Really really stoked about it.

All the best Rob!!

CASH…

No way he would be leaving the Bondi lifestyle for East Brunswick…
The beauty of the East Brunswick lifestyle versus the Bondi lifestyle is that we can offer him the same contract or slightly less than what he is on in Sydney, but at the end of the year he'll have saved more. There are also some great restaurants, much better coffee, a lovely lawn bowls club and great dog walking areas in Brunswick East.
On top of that, he is a Melbourne boy and was coming to a Melbourne club next year anyway, even if it wasn't us.

Definitely not the case.
I can't even begin to say how happy I am with this signing.
This guy is an absolute gun, and he has not broken the bank by any stretch of the imagination.

This really is a sign of what I like to call the Cook effect.
There were several voices inside going very hard for Burgess. A godfather style (Russell sized) offer was being prepared and spoken about. We learnt relatively late on in the piece that Inness was keen to get back to Victoria. He was pretty much signed, sealed and delivered to return back to Richmond. Seriously, they had already started putting his name on the office door.
But once we caught wind of his desire to return we put our cap in the mix, and managed to get him to choose us.

Although he has quite the resume, he is still an up and coming guy in the industry. Far cheaper than some of the other names we've had and were looking at. But also younger and with a very different and modern view on training methods. He is still on the upward trajectory, and its so refreshing to get the guy that is touted as the next guru for a change rather than getting the guy that has been to the top and is perhaps.. old school.. (to put it politely)

From what I've been told from people outside of Carlton, he isn't driven by money, he is still at the age that his main goal is developing and betting the industry he's in.
So he's driven by learning, developing, redefining and bettering sports high performance.
And he's also very big on the idea that High Performance departments require a strong team. No single Messiah can achieve what a strong team can.

Once again, this really is a massive coup for us, and is probably the most New Carlton signing I've seen.

Really really stoked about it.

All the best Rob!!
Ahh, very good to hear, A most un Carlton thing to do 💪

Remove this Banner Ad

News Welcome to Carlton Rob Inness - Head of High Performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back