Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Strongly disagree with this. The draft is fine, in itself. But the points system & academy’s/bids/FA compo etc needs perfecting.
Needs it absolutely but the AFL won’t except for half measures especially if it impacts the expansion clubs in the “growth areas” like NSW and QLD

The afl needs GWS and Gold Coast to be competitive or winning flags so it will pull every lever they can to make it possible even if it means that the Lions and Sydney can ride on the coattails of those benefits when they probably shouldn’t have them

Tassie won’t get half the benefits the northern expansion clubs get

Needs it absolutely but the AFL won’t except for half measures especially if it impacts the expansion clubs in the “growth areas” like NSW and QLD

The afl needs GWS and Gold Coast to be competitive or winning flags so it will pull every lever they can to make it possible even if it means that the Lions and Sydney can ride on the coattails of those benefits when they probably shouldn’t have them

So they shouldn't with a brand new bespoke footy stadium built for them...

After it totally obvious that NSW and QLD are 'developed' as far as young AFL talent goes they will change the way it all works. Only real issue I see is that the northern academies are obviously well run and they really get outsized results. If they take away the clubs ability to pick players I reckon the clubs will disinvest and the talent from QLD NSW will drop off.

We really need to learn from the northern academies to improve ours. But then until they changed the rules it wasn't worth putting effort in as you couldn't pick up talented players from vic academies. Stupid rule - "develop academies ... but you can't pick the good players that you develop"

Last edited:
After it totally obvious that NSW and QLD are 'developed' as far as young AFL talent goes they will change the way it all works. Only real issue I see is that the northern academies are obviously well run and they really get outsized results. If they take away the clubs ability to pick players I reckon the clubs will disinvest and the talent from QLD NSQ will drop off.

We really need to learn from the northern academies to improve ours. But then until they changed the rules it wasn't worth putting effort in as you couldn't pick up talented players from vic academies. Stupid rule - "develop academies ... but you can't pick the good players that you develop"

We don't have anything to learn from them at all as the comparison isn't even apples and oranges it's bloody apples and Aardvarks. The Northern teams have access to any and every kid in their state. We have access to "indigenous" kids and exotically backgrounded ones that no one can define. Dion Prestias parents are Italian... would he qualify?

The Brisbane Academy kid Marshall plays for Sandringham Deagons..... htf does that mean he's affiliated with Brisbane? Last I checked that's a 20 hour drive.
Our Chernobyl wasteland zone Shepparton is 3 hours away. The next Isaac Heeney or Zeke Uwland can get shown extra love and attention, I'm sure the Northern clubs would have them at training every chance which is easy when they probably live 10 mins from their club. What efforts can we really do with kids 3 hours away? And why bother anyway? If a farmer toiled in a field for 8 years and his only harvest was 1 decent game out of eggmessy, he'd move on. But Victorian clubs are stupid they hold on to hope that it'll pay off when reality is 50% of teams NGA hasn't yielded 5 decent games, many none. My brother barracks for the Blues he said they've yielded less than eggs smith.

So how can the Tigers possibly improve ours? Send 5-10 employees and build a state of the art facility in Shepparton? We can't even build Punt Rd! The Northern teams have all their existing infrastructure and just have to invite their kids to be welcome. Give them an hour talk with the dietician and send them away with an info pack to show their mum their ideal dietary requirements. A kid does a hammy or rolls his ankle.. tell him to call in after school give him a massage and show his mum how to tape it up. While he's there give him some free merch and game tickets. The NGA is a farce to fool clubs and supporters that they have an academy too.

Last edited:
We don't have anything to learn from them at all as the comparison isn't even apples and oranges it's bloody apples and Aardvarks. The Northern teams have access to any and every kid in their state. We have access to "indigenous" kids and exotically backgrounded ones that no one can define. Dion Prestias parents are Italian... would he qualify?

The Brisbane Academy kid plays for Sandringham Deagons..... htf does that mean he's affiliated with Brisbane? Last I checked that's a 20 hour drive.
Our Chernobyl wasteland zone Shepparton is 3 hours away. The next Isaac Heeney or Zeke Uwland can get shown extra love and attention, I'm sure the Northern clubs would have them at training every chance which is easy when they probably like 10 mins from their club. What efforts can we really do with kids 3 hours away? And why bother anyway? If a farmer toiled in a field for 8 years and his only harvest was 1 decent game out of eggmessy, he'd move on. But Victorian clubs are stupid they hold on to hope that it'll pay off when reality is 50% of teams NGA hasn't yielded 5 decent games, many none. My brother barracks for the Blues he said they've yielded less than eggs smith.

So how can the Tigers possibly improve ours? Send 5-10 employees and build a state of the art facility in Shepparton? We can't even build Punt Rd! The Northern teams have all their existing infrastructure and just have to invite their kids to be welcome. Give them an hour talk with the dietician and send them away with an info pack to show their mum their ideal dietary requirements. A kid does a hammy or rolls his ankle.. tell him to call in after school give him a massage and show his mum how to tape it up. While he's there give him some free merch and game tickets. The NGA is a farce to fool clubs and supporters that they have an academy too.
If the afl had any integrity which shamefully they don’t , competitive balance would mean when some cnt gets nominated r1 , that’s what it costs , no more or less
That means to balance their lists for the freebies they need to trade out
That does mean comp balance , but oh no , let the northern states get A grade talent in for. R3 pic

The Brisbane Academy kid plays for Sandringham Deagons..... htf does that mean he's affiliated with Brisbane? Last I checked that's a 20 hour drive.
Our Chernobyl wasteland zone Shepparton is 3 hours away. The next Isaac Heeney or Zeke Uwland can get shown extra love and attention, I'm sure the Northern clubs would have them at training every chance which is easy when they probably like 10 mins from their club. What efforts can we really do with kids 3 hours away? And why bother anyway? If a farmer toiled in a field for 8 years and his only harvest was 1 decent game out of eggmessy, he'd move on. But Victorian clubs are stupid they hold on to hope that it'll pay off when reality is 50% of teams NGA hasn't yielded 5 decent games, many none. My brother barracks for the Blues he said they've yielded less than eggs smith.

All I meant was that the way the non QLD/NSW academies were structured there was no point in doing anything serious about it. Now you can get the good kids there may be a point. Some serious professional help for indigenous and whatever non-traditional background means kids will help. But then why invest if you don't trust the AFL to just change the rules again?

apples and Aardvarks.
You have a turn of phrase.

1727677517783.png

1727677474024.png

Attachments

• 1727677508177.png
    1727677508177.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 0

The Brisbane Academy kid Marshall plays for Sandringham Deagons..... htf does that mean he's affiliated with Brisbane? Last I checked that's a 20 hour drive.
Our Chernobyl wasteland zone Shepparton is 3 hours away. The next Isaac Heeney or Zeke Uwland can get shown extra love and attention, I'm sure the Northern clubs would have them at training every chance which is easy when they probably live 10 mins from their club. What efforts can we really do with kids 3 hours away? And why bother anyway? If a farmer toiled in a field for 8 years and his only harvest was 1 decent game out of eggmessy, he'd move on. But Victorian clubs are stupid they hold on to hope that it'll pay off when reality is 50% of teams NGA hasn't yielded 5 decent games, many none. My brother barracks for the Blues he said they've yielded less than eggs smith.

Not a bad idea...identify them early, move them to Shepparton and reap the rewards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Father & Son & Academy Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back