AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it funny that in the AFLW team of the week, all we could manage is Garner on the bench.
It may say more about the quality of our opposition.

I find it funny that in the AFLW team of the week, all we could manage is Garner on the bench.
If you looked at the AFLW website before our game on the weekend the front page article was all about how the Bulldogs had turned their season around and were rapidly improving. We held them goalless, equal biggest winning margin of the round, I guess that's just nothing. Ash Riddell was inhuman on the weekend, she absolutely embarrassed that football club, but gee, unlucky to miss out.

Had to go check for myself - thought you were joking. That is pathetic. Surely someone in the media queries this bull5hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sarah and Gemma and Lucy said this week that they can’t see who beats North this year. Lots of praise on the podcast (as there often is) and they rated Jas as one their best five performers this week, so the team of the week doesn’t represent what they actually think, it’s a different way of recognising a bunch of players from across the league each round. It’s not that big a deal.

Sarah and Gemma and Lucy said this week that they can’t see who beats North this year. Lots of praise on the podcast (as there often is) and they rated Jas as one their best five performers this week, so the team of the week doesn’t represent what they actually think, it’s a different way of recognising a bunch of players from across the league each round. It’s not that big a deal.
So it's like the McDonalds award in junior sports. They try to make sure everyone in the team wins one by the end of the season.

On this week’s ABC podcast Sam Lane and Chyloe Khurdas talk about how bad the compressed fixture has been and why the AFLW shouldn’t do it again - Kearney is exhibit A for the impact on the players, but they also talk how it creates extra barriers for the 50% of AFLW people who work off-field and have to juggle their other jobs with their poorly paid footy roles. Too many compromises on every front.

My view is that the AFL has treated the Women's competition with absolute outright contempt. How else can it be judged by their decision to fit three rounds into two weeks or whatever it was?

Imagine the uproar if they tried this with the AFLM.

This is a competition in its infancy and so many of the girls do not have the long years of preparing for the demands of such a competition, let alone to having to play so many games in such a short space of time.

I have little doubt that Emma Kearney's bad hamstring was a result of anything else apart from the short break between games, compounded by the terrible weather conditions the girls had to endure.

I fear we will not see Emma again this year and what a travesty that would be if we do by chance win the whole thing and she misses being a part a successful Grand Final team, assuming we even get there.

The gloss will be significantly taken off it if we get there and win and Emma is not there.

They are a total disgrace the AFL as far as I am concerned when it comes to the treatment of the AFLW program.

My view is that the AFL has treated the Women's competition with absolute outright contempt. How else can it be judged by their decision to fit three rounds into two weeks or whatever it was?

Imagine the uproar if they tried this with the AFLM.

This is a competition in its infancy and so many of the girls do not have the long years of preparing for the demands of such a competition, let alone to having to play so many games in such a short space of time.

I have little doubt that Emma Kearney's bad hamstring was a result of anything else apart from the short break between games, compounded by the terrible weather conditions the girls had to endure.

I fear we will not see Emma again this year and what a travesty that would be if we do by chance win the whole thing and she misses being a part a successful Grand Final team, assuming we even get there.

The gloss will be significantly taken off it if we get there and win and Emma is not there.

They are a total disgrace the AFL as far as I am concerned when it comes to the treatment of the AFLW program.
It is suffering from not finding a home where it can run each season, and sticking with it.

It needs to run with the VFLW going at the same time. Ideally each team would play all the others once.

The VFLW has not been moved, I suspect the best bet is to play the AFLW on the schedule that they play as it is based primarily on the football aspect.

Really who gives a crao about someone’s opinion- it’s all about team success.
Just look How invested all the players are and how much fun they’re having.

This is what sport is about.
I don't value their opinions at all but make no mistake this stuff is systemic across the men's & women's teams and has huge commercial impacts on our club. We don't have to care in a general sense but we need parity in exposure and credit. This is what attracts sponsors, kids, TV coverage and gets $ in the door which ultimately makes us a more robust and sustainable organisation.

Well it shouldn't be. The girls can only perform against the opposition they are put up against.
True, you can only perform against the opposition you play against, but some weight must be given to the quality of the opposition. Using Ash Riddell as an example, 26 disposals, 6 clearances and a goal against the current wooden spooners who could only kick 4 behinds for the entire game, surely isn't as impressive as 26 disposals, 6 clearances and a goal against perennial finalists and potential GF opponents Adelaide or Brisbane. Also, 26 disposals is a little below par for Riddell and perhaps that is why she wasn't included.

Having said that, I actually gave Riddell the 3 votes on the weekend, but I did think we were a little flat in the first half and while we were better in the second half the monsoon that hit Arden Street did make it a scrappy affair. The 55point win was perhaps a little flattering in the end.

Last edited:
True, you can only perform against the opposition you play against, but some weight should be given to the quality of the opposition. Using Ash Riddell as an example, 26 disposals, 6 clearances and a goal against the current wooden spooners who could only kick 4 behinds for the entire game, surely isn't as impressive as 26 disposals, 6 clearances and a goal against perennial finalists and potential GF opponents Adelaide or Brisbane. Also, 26 disposals is a little below par for Riddell and perhaps that is why she wasn't included.

Having said that, I actually gave Riddell the 3 votes on the weekend, but I did think we were a little flat in the first half and while we were better in the second half the monsoon that hit Arden Street did make it a scrappy affair. The 55point win was perhaps a little flattering in the end.
I’m not so sure about our win being flattering. I agree WB managed to get the ball inside 50 plenty of times. However, they never threatened the goal at any stage. On the other hand, we missed about 5 gilt-edged goal opportunities. There’s a stronger argument that says we should have beaten them by 80 points. I do agree that WB “looked” more competitive. However, it does underline the strength of our backline now.

I’m not so sure about our win being flattering. I agree WB managed to get the ball inside 50 plenty of times. However, they never threatened the goal at any stage. On the other hand, we missed about 5 gilt-edged goal opportunities. There’s a stronger argument that says we should have beaten them by 80 points. I do agree that WB “looked” more competitive. However, it does underline the strength of our backline now.
At the game it felt like general play was reasonably even at times IMG_1446.png but that we were much more effective going forward. The defensive pressure that Randall and Wall & co applied was very strong.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW North Melbourne Football Club AFLW - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back