List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed outs:
  • Alex Neal-Bullen (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Angus Brayshaw (Retired)
  • Ben Brown (Retired)
  • Lachie Hunter (Retired)
  • Josh Schache (Delisted)
  • Kyah Farris-White (Delisted)
  • Future First (Traded to Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded to Adelaide)
  • Picks 40, 54, 65 (Traded to Essendon)
Confirmed ins:
  • Tom Campbell (Free Agent from St Kilda)
  • Pick 9 (Traded from Essendon)
  • Future Third (Traded from Essendon)
On-traded:
  • Pick 28 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)
  • Pick 46 (from Adelaide, to Essendon)

Last edited:

JT had some ingredients to make an awesome draft and now he has none. Lamb is a dangerous moron.
Taylor would be right across this trade.

But do you agree over 10 drafts we should have had more talls that are successful on our list then petty and jvr.
Without sifting through previous drafts I would say that most talls fail. You get some stars at the very pointy end some years i.e. top 5-6 and then some project players as late picks that work out. Lot of fails in-between.
I'll do the work for you – also worth remembering that you should always be drafting best player available, not purely on a list needs basis. For the purposes of this, just looking at first-rounders.

2023 (too early for a full assessment)

#7: Windsor. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Curtin (played 7 games, looked pretty average when he did play)
  • Read (GC academy, 4 games)
  • Caddy (10 games, 9 goals, looks OK)
  • O'Sullivan (1 game)
  • Croft (F/S, 0 games)
  • Green (0 games)
#13: Tholstrup. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Croft (F/S, 0 games)
  • Green (0 games)
  • McCabe (F/S, 0 games)
  • Goad (0 games)
  • Dawson (3 games)
#15: Jefferson. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Weddle (not a true 'tall', but a great pick)
  • Michalanney (F/S)
  • Allan (2 games)
  • Barnett (2 games)
  • Hayes (0 games)
#19: JVR. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Conway (6 games)
#20/21: Bowey and Laurie. Talls taken in the 10 picks after them:
  • McInnes (regular fringe player at the Pies)
  • McMahon (zero games, delisted after two seasons by Collingwood)
  • Allison (zero games, looks headed for the scrap heap)
#3: Jackson. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • McAsey (delisted after 10 games)
#12: Pickett. Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Georgiades (good player, would you take him over Koz?)
  • SDK (good player, would you take him over Koz?)
No first-rounders

No first-rounders

No first-rounders

#4: Oliver (remembering what he achieved before he turned into a plodder). Talls taken in the 10 picks after him:
  • Francis (bust)
  • McKay (good player, has he achieved more than Oliver? No)
  • Curnow (great player, would he have had more impact than Oliver on us winning a flag in 2021? Debatable. Accolades favour Oliver, as much as we'd rather Curnow now)
  • Hipwood (academy)
  • Himmelberg (academy)
#9: Weideman (as mentioned earlier, this is the one big error of his tenure):
  • McKay
  • Curnow
  • Hipwood (academy)
  • Himmelberg (academy)
  • Doedee (solid player who can't stay fit)

Taylor would be right across this trade.
With a desk in front of him so he could slam his head into it for such a stupid trade. Lamb needs to go.

We could have snared a late gem or two in this draft. Now we're basically not being involved in most of this or next years draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of agree, prob 4th or 5th best which is still pretty good.

Who's your top 3? Geelong for sure.

Essendon, Saints got to be fighting it out at the bottom.
Same as legs, hard to factor in swans and GWS. Lots of academy help but they've also nailed some later picks as well. Hawks and Cats are clear top 2. Pies seem to add new players from nothing every year aswell. Freo last few years have nailed it aswell.

Urge to kill rising. Tim Lamb need to go. Useless moron.

This "review" can't turf him out quick enough.

Fold this club.
Stop saying Tim Lamb like he's acting alone. He would be going off the advice of JT and what he wants in the draft for **** sake.

We're melting about third rounders now? Fun
On one hand I think shit we've paid a bounty for pick 9, on the other hand you nail those 2 and who gives a **** about those later picks.

I believe upgrade from rookie list and mid season count. Adelaide are apparently likely to only take pick 4 this year.
Also I don't believe there's an end to the draft technically, you can use pick 300 in round 15 if you have enough spots.

With a desk in front of him so he could slam his head into it for such a stupid trade. Lamb needs to go.

We could have snared a late gem or two in this draft. Now we're basically not being involved in most of this or next years draft.
Last five years:

Pick 40: Kane McAuliffe, Caleb Mitchell, Corey Warner, Samson Ryan, Jay Rantall
Pick 46: Bodie Ryan, Jack O'Sullivan, Alastair Lord, Tyler Brockman, Hugo Ralphsmith
Pick 54: Archie Roberts, Jayden Davey, Eric Benning, Joel Western, Bigoa Nyuon
Pick 65: Taj Woewodin, Tom Hutchesson, Darcy Fort, Tom North, Patrick Kerr

Third and fourth rounders are functionally meaningless, save for the once in a blue moon hits. Who cares.

Before a few go into full meltdown mode over the picks going out.
  • Can still split 5 or 9
  • Can trade right up to draft night - could easily see us sliding back 2-4 picks if offered something juicy from a club who's favourite player slides or to get ahead of someone else
  • There are some genuinely good players delisted or will be delisted due to list space squeezes. Some guys who were drafted highly a couple of years ago that we might have rated highly on the draft.
  • We probably wouldn't have even used the picks in 50's and 60's
  • Next year we can trade 2 trades ahead so heaps of ways to get back into that draft if we rate it

My god did we really need to just blow the rest of our picks away??
Probably doesn't matter if we're only going to take 3 picks in the draft. We've effectively turned Nibbler (28) and our F1 into pick 9, by trading down 9 spots from 40 to 49 (might have that wrong?). 54 and 65 are neither here nor there to me. Next year we'll also have two years of picks to trade to get back into the 2025 1st round.

5, 9 and 49 sounds reasonable to me for this year.

If Lamb isn’t making the final list decisions then what are we paying him for?
Completely missing the point. He's not gonna trade up to 9 if JT tells him it's a dog shit draft. If JT says yeah I want 9 I don't care about the later picks then lamb goes and pays it. He doesn't just hand JT picks and say good luck chief.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread – Pick 9 & big fish Tom Campbell in 🎣🐟, ANB departs to the Crows for Pick 28 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

Back