List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

The negative fans here MIA after a masterclass by our recruiting draft team.
Congrats Richmond.
Now waiting for some back page headlines like Collingwood are getting for securing one player lol.
The polarising Tigers.
#EatEmAlive
The usual Summer bylines
50 ways Essendon will improve this year and be a dominant force in the finals.

unbelieveable decision by the club to pass in the MSD

incompetence

just so, so, SO dumb
This is a harsh take. Look at our picks (1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24) and consider there's space for max 2 more key forwards on the list.

Would you take Davidson ahead of a key forward available at pick 24 (someone like Faull, the Whitlocks or Gerryn)?

I certainly wouldn't.

Gerreyn, kid could be anything, 8.156 for the 20m from a 200cm, 100kg lad is pretty quick. Came 6th in the national combine for agility which is outstanding. Booming kick off both feet, acts as another mid at stoppages, can play forward or ruck. Only knock would be his leap, not sure how he tested on that parameter
8.156 was his agility not his 20m unless he was walking 😉

What are peoples thoughts on Lachie Jaques and Harrison Oliver who's the better player and are they candidates for richmond?

Don’t bank on it.

In addition to our elite draftees we’ve got a few handy recruits in 2025 : Lynch, Gibcus and Ross for starters. And we’ve got about 15 x players with between 15 and 50 games who will improve a lot in 2025. We also have 9 x 100-gamers on our list in 2025.

I expect us to be bottom few and likely wooden spooners … but I predict we will be very competitive in the second half of the season.

Wooden spoon is by no means a certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hey I’ve been wrong before, but to me you’ve purposely decimated your side. With more pain to come as 6 important players over the age of 30.

You’ll obviously address this part next month, but currently have no elite young talent.

As for 2025, north and west coast have added solid contributors to their list, you’ve cut it.
Can’t see anything else but a spoon
In 2025 and probably the three peat in 2026.

Reckon if we take Simillie at Pick 6,
by round 1, we may have convinced ourselves that he is the best midfield talent in the 2024 draft class

He is the tallest 195.5 cm
Has an good overall athletic profile, very good endurance, speed and jumping ability, especially for his height
A clearance beast and proven goal kicker
Absolute elite kick
Models his game on Cripps and Tom Green, and will monster his opponents in the same way

This is why trading for 2, involving 6 is unlikely, reckon FOS and Big Willy have about the same chance of being stars.
Was reading the other day that Smillie's endurance is actually poor and because of this they think he'll end up having to play half back at AFL level.

Personally, I think Smillie may slide because while there's a chance he ends up being another Tom Green, he's also the most likely of the top ranked mids to be a bust.

Was reading the other day that Smillie's endurance is actually poor and because of this they think he'll end up having to play half back at AFL level.

Personally, I think Smillie may slide because while there's a chance he ends up being another Tom Green, he's also the most likely of the top ranked mids to be a bust.

do not believe it is poor, average at worst, but his 20m speed was better than Zak Butters tested

agility elite
yo yo elite
jumping elite

195.5, Pick 6, Thank you very much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Cripps and Green did? Crazy take from whoever you were reading. Was just watching Cripps draft highlights, Smilie is a freaking Cripps clone.

Maybe it will be different this year with no Dodoro but past drafts Essendon have basically always targeted the same players we have targeted (or thought we were after) or our VFL listed players . It’s actually like they’ve not bothered to invest in recruiting and just tried to copy us.

Either way I expect the same this year and they’ll target Davidson early.

Essendon picks are 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54, 65) and a bid on Kako removes 28,31 min or max 28,31,40. You’d think their first pick on the night would be best young kid in the draft given all those picks will come in about 5-6 places, so we are going to need to find a pick before their 53,54 and ideally before 46 to be safe if we want Doc.

Who the **** does he actually want?
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Hey I’ve been wrong before, but to me you’ve purposely decimated your side. With more pain to come as 6 important players over the age of 30.

You’ll obviously address this part next month, but currently have no elite young talent.

As for 2025, north and west coast have added solid contributors to their list, you’ve cut it.
Can’t see anything else but a spoon
In 2025 and probably the three peat in 2026.
Now this is the sort of assessment we get from people who take a superficial look at our results and our list, I would class a few of our supporters like this too.

I wouldn't say that we've purposely decimated our side, that's exactly what North did and to judge us by North's list management decisions is disingenuous at the least and ignorant at best.

We lost an ageing HBF with shot ankles, a position that's probably one of the easiest to fill.

A short utility who was on the cusp of leaving multiple times over the last 6 years.

An injury prone, slow, defensive mid, who's skillset doesn't gel with a run and gun game.

One that will hurt the most was a dynamic mid forward who's a game changer. But even then, he was a flight risk from day 1 and we did well to keep him for as long as we did.

Of course they're all multi premiership players and as a whole, will leave a hole. So as far as "cutting" our list is concerned, I see it more as a bit of a tidy up and trim.

Since hearing we're interested in Bo Allan and having watched his highlights. I'm pretty confident we'd take him at pick 10 or 11 if available, as he seems to be exactly what we need.

An all round classy midfielder with great acceleration, toughness and size.

Analysing a couple of different draft possibilities I'd love us to something like this with our first 4 picks. Draft 4 high end midfield players, and add a couple of talls with our later picks.

Option 1) we hold our picks
1 - Lalor / Jagga
6) - Langford / Smilie
10) - Allan / Travaglia / Lindsay
11) - Allan / Travaglia / Lindsay

Option 2) we move up from 6 to 2
***No way north will accept an offer for 2 that doesn't include 6. Also no way we trade 2 of our top 11 picks. I reckon some combination like 6 and 18 or even somehow get one of GWS teen picks to trade alongside 6.

1) - Lalor / Jagga
2) - Lalor / Jagga
10) - Allan / Travaglia / Lindsay
11) - Allan / Travaglia / Lindsay

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gerreyn, kid could be anything, 8.156 for the 20m from a 200cm, 100kg lad is pretty quick. Came 6th in the national combine for agility which is outstanding. Booming kick off both feet, acts as another mid at stoppages, can play forward or ruck. Only knock would be his leap, not sure how he tested on that parameter
This kid has me torn and i have no idea where to place him in the draft but anything higher than #23 / #24 i would not be over the moon

But in saying that he just looks like such a brute of a kid and could well become a Push Hawkins type FF thats just about ready to go. His athletic traits apart from leap look surprisingly impressive for such a big heavy kid thats 200cm 100+kgs
But is he a man child at the lower level ? Or has he the talent to translate to AFL

I have the same feelings about him as i did with Josh Treacy
I would love to see combine comparisons between the 2 if anybody knows how to find them

So reading this forum, Davidson is the Cumberland of 2022? Every club overlooked him! I don’t care if we take him or not, doesn’t look like the superstar some on here are carrying on like he is.

Nobodies saying he's a superstar and the next Dusty ffs's. Where people are frustrated is that we had 4 list spots, club said we'd take 3 players then only took 2. He was already in our system, could slot straight in no moving states, learning the Coaches, game plan, getting a feel for our players etc. He was killing it in magoos and critically to us at the time kicking goals regularly in a team basically made up of a patchwork of suburban mids. Our fwd line was dreadful with plenty of players like Graham, MRJ, Campbell, Samson having lean patches where some wouldn't kick a goal for several to 6-8 weeks.

Mid season rookies basically get a 6 month contract of $50k. Our injury list was 10 -12 deep at the time with several in the 22 in and out from several injuries. Some people watch a lot of VFL and it was bloody obvious at the time that Davidson was special...... fast forward to he ended up winning that award where the previous 17 winners all got drafted straight after. We've got complete duds like Dow and Ryan on our list for varying reasons. Neither are AFL standard, they do bugger all at VFL too. People are p1ssed that the club had a perfect chance to get Davidson for nothing and squandered it. Durham, Dambrosio, McDonaugh were all stolen from under our nose where by virtue of being up the top we didn't have much chance of getting them.

We had the perfect chance for Davidson and the club 💩 the bed. Not all players are superstars and majority of our recent 1st round selections were all lost to AFL by 22/23. Some club will get Davidson before us and who knows how good his career will pan out. But he should've been ours for nothing.

Attachments

• KayleG.jpg
    KayleG.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 56

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back