List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

As the winner of this years Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising young VFL talent, 21 year old Sam Davidson is an inheritor of a strong tradition with the last 17 winners going on to make it onto an AFL list. An outside leaning flanker or winger, Davidson is a powerful runner, solid overhead mark and an excellent competitor on the field, a mix of traits that should prove attractive enough for him to get picked up in the upcoming national draft.

unbelieveable decision by the club to pass in the MSD

incompetence

just so, so, SO dumb

Generally I'm against picking up delisted players in the list spot we’re currently in but I wouldn’t be against Culley as a rookie selection subject to a sound medical. Need to probably sign a mature ruckman as well.

I’m torn. I want Lalor at 1 because I think he can compliment our other draftee more.

If we get 2 without giving up too much then fos and Lalor seems a good option. But Langford or Smillie with Lalor at 6 works for me as well.

I see Lalor as more unique than the others so easier to get a pairing with. If he plays 75% forward/ 25% midfield then whoever else we pick switches with him it’d be a damaging combo.

Hotton crumbing. Pick up a KPF later (key forwards are more miss than hit I feel) and Geryn late seems a must. He’ll be getting experience until Nank is coming to an end

I don’t know who the fast winger/back flanks are but we need a couple of them too. I think our backs are ok if gibcus can stay on the park with balta

Depends if you get FOS and Lalor there are both roughly 60% mid - 40% forward
I’d say Harvey Langford is 75% mid - 25% forward
Jagga is 100% mid
Smile seems to be like 33% in each category ie mid, back, fwd

My thoughts on our situation

- Don't trade out any of our picks unless the deal is too good to refuse

- Use our draft hand to improve the quality and balance of our list which is currently quite poor by bringing in midfielders & KPPs/rucks

- Understand that 1 draft is not going to be the solution to our problems.

- Trust our process and don't get caught up in hype/external pressures

wouldve had bennell too if dusty didnt call him a loose campaigner
Can’t wait for Tassie to enter the comp so we can go on a pillage run again

It’s not a “barb”

You’ve traded out 1/3 of your best 22, which was already a spoon winning team.

You’re winning the spoon next year.

Is that controversial?
You made us fight for it. North will be hurting, missing out on the spoon two years in a row. I’m sure your players will be not training hard over the summer, leaving no stone unturned in their quest to find 1% less.

Yeah I'm not trading for their F1. I reckon GWS is their best shot.

6 and 18 is not bad for them. Tauru and a Whitlock.
If that's what we trade them then we've got to take a tall at 10/11.

Talls are rated around:
Tauru 5-10
Armstrong 5-13
Trainor 8-16
Shanahan 12-20
Whitlock x2 16-24
Faull 18-26
Dodson 18-26
Gerryn 20-28
Sims 22-30

So not taking a tall with 1,2,10,11 leaves us likely only choosing from Shanahan, a Whitlock, Faull, Dodson, Gerryn, Sims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's what we trade them then we've got to take a tall at 10/11.

Talls are rated around:
Tauru 5-10
Armstrong 5-13
Trainor 8-16
Shanahan 12-20
Whitlock x2 16-24
Faull 18-26
Dodson 18-26
Gerryn 20-28
Sims 22-30

So not taking a tall with 1,2,10,11 leaves us likely only choosing from Shanahan, a Whitlock, Faull, Dodson, Gerryn, Sims.
So?

I reckon we'll take Armstrong if he's there at 10. Don't want Shanahan. Like Sims. We'll probably pick J.Whitlock at 20. There's value in talls later: Mraz, O'Farrell as well. We don't need to reach at 10/11 when the quick players we need are there.

Yep. I’m sold on keeping 1 and 6. Didn’t realise how good Smilie was. I understand this is a highlights package, but seems a fantastic kick, good ball handling, sharp hands and obviously strength.

Back the recruiters in to get the Lalor/FOS choice at one right and pair them with any of Smilie / Langford / Jagga and we’re golden IMO. A mix of Lindsay / Reid / Hotton with 10 & 11 and that’s our midfield rebuild kickstarted nicely. Reckon all of those names would be capable to play senior footy in 2025 too
I just want to see some more campaigner in him. No more timid midfielders, especially one of his size.

Is it just me but I don’t see the hype around Smillie.

From some of the highlights I’ve seen of him he’s only good by foot with the basic hit ups to uncontested players in space.

Whenever there was heat there was a few turnovers or wobblers out to space that missed targets by a good 10m +.

Edit: he does seem excellent with hand balling in traffic

He won’t be afforded as much space at AFL level so that does appear to be a concern from what I could see.

Happy to take on board those who’ve watched far more U18s footy this year and clarify.

Last edited:
Some question marks over Armstrong.

-Smaller side of Key position
-Has had silver service in all levels he’s played in. Been very lucky to have gun mids feeding him.
-A little bit one dimensional.
-set shot kicking questionable

Personally I would prefer to look elsewhere.

Travaglia is also not as high on my list as others. Will not be big enough to be a mid at afl level. I don’t believe you take a half back flanker in top 15. You can develop running half back flankers from anywhere. We have Kaleb Smith, Sam Banks, Tom Brown, Ralphsmith who are all very much in the same mould.

Whitlock brothers X 2 would add a very nice point of difference in our key position stocks. Which will allow us to play Balta as permanent back and also give us great versatility in our bigs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back