Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

The narrative flip flopped. Around the 2000’s to 2010’s era, it was a “the fittest who can somewhat kick a footy with a height pre requisite” that was pretty much the consensus of what determined junior elite talent.

Perhaps the last decade has seen a significant shift in that. Daniel definitely broke the chain, could he have been the catalyst?
Ian Callinan is the perfect example. Overlooked in every draft due to height until rookie listed by Crows at age 28. In his first full season he kicked 39 goals.

Seeing him without the helmet is like seeing a South Park character without their beanies.
It was at this point in time I realised that I had no idea what Caleb Daniel looked like.

New Kangaroo Caleb Daniel opens up on his exit from the Western Bulldogs​

Caleb Daniel was playing AFL footy consistently for almost nine years when he was sent to the Bulldogs reserves. He reveals how he found himself on the outer and off to North Melbourne.

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun

3 min read
October 28, 2024 - 3:06PM

New North Melbourne half back Caleb Daniel says he lost the “trust” of the Western Bulldogs coaching staff but says the pain of those emotions will drive him to greater heights next season at Arden Street.

Daniel was paraded at North Melbourne on Monday as the club’s star recruit after the Roos handed over pick 25 for the All Australian in a trade period where they also picked up Luke Parker, Jack Darling and Jacob Konstanty.

His trade only went through in the final five minutes of the trade period, with Daniel’s phone coming in and out of reception as he was buying a Tokyo Giants baseball jumper while holidaying in Japan.

Daniel played eight VFL games last year and was the sub in seven AFL games, a shock result for a deputy vice captain who had finished fourth in the 2023 best-and-fairest.

[PLAYERCARD]Caleb Daniel[/PLAYERCARD] in his new colours. Picture: Getty Images

Caleb Daniel in his new colours. Picture: Getty Images

He was lauded by the Dogs for the way he kept his head high but speaking for the first time about his departure, he admitted his continued non-selection hurt.

“Obviously you’re always seeking to play AFL footy, and I was able to do that for probably nine years and do it relatively successfully,” he said.

“And then last year (2024) didn’t pan out my way, probably through form and a lack of trust from some of the coaching staff and some confidence issues in my own ability.

“So I think being able to come to a new club and have a fresh start, that’s pretty special to me. And it’s exciting.
“It’s always going to hurt if some people lose confidence in you, and as a proud person, you never want that to happen.

Luke Beveridge chats with Daniel. Picture: Getty Images

Luke Beveridge chats with Daniel. Picture: Getty Images

“So it does drive you. It drove me throughout the year as well to keep my chin up and hold my head high and come to the footy club and still put in wholeheartedly into the program. So yeah, it does hurt, but it’s exciting to see the way that we’re able to go about it here and throughout this preseason. And I’m looking forward to that challenge.”

Daniel admits he isn’t sure why his fall from grace was so sudden after a strong pre-season at Whitten Oval leading into the 2024 season.

Jack Macrae’s hamstring injury gave Beveridge an excuse to change up his midfield mix,

“(The summer) panned out just as I wanted. I was playing some decent intra-club football, I was running really well and covering the ground well. And they just went with a different mix.

“They wanted some speed off half back and they wanted a couple of young guys in the midfield. And that’s up to the Western Bulldogs to choose their team. And they went without me. And that’s fair enough as well. But I still feel like I have got a lot left to give. And I don’t think they were looking at it the same way.”

The 28-year-old will play a mix of midfield and half back under Alastair Clarkson, who has already urged him to bring his famed leadership and professionalism to Arden Street.

He is already looking forward to sharing a field with the helmeted Tristan Xerri, who shares a manager and a love of headgear with Daniel.

Xerri and Daniel will both don the helmet at the Roos next year. Picture: Getty Images

Xerri and Daniel will both don the helmet at the Roos next year. Picture: Getty Images
Daniel has worn his headgear since his junior days. Picture: Michael Klein.

Daniel has worn his headgear since his junior days. Picture: Michael Klein.

The Dogs’ hard-line stance on his trade meant he had to officially nominate the Roos as a trade partner but the deal still went down to the line with 2016 premiership defender Daniel waiting for confirmation.

“I was in Japan when the trade happened and I had bugger all service. I went to my girlfriend and said, you might have to let me know if it comes through on Instagram. But I ended up having reception at the time. I was buying a Tokyo Giants baseball jersey at the time and I got a phone call from my manager so I quickly had to rush out of there and answer the call. And he said you will be playing for the Kangaroos next year.

“It was really exciting to get that phone call. It was two hours behind so we were banking on it happening a little bit earlier but it came down to the last 10 minutes or so.”

Out-of-favour Dogs players really seem to be kicked to the curb without so much as an acknowledgment. Bevo would have to have some man management skills, or he wouldn't have lasted this long, but he seems pretty ****ing abrupt with what he wants from his players

So based on his own admission of a lack of trust and wanting to go with younger quicker legs plus 8VFL games we inspect overpaid for Caleb no matter how you look at it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So based on his own admission of a lack of trust and wanting to go with younger quicker legs plus 8VFL games we inspect overpaid for Caleb no matter how you look at it
Please.

Bevo is a dickhead and everyone knows it. Got exposed in September, and I personally think that theme will continue next year.

'Lack of trust': Roos recruit driven by hurtful end at Dogs​

Caleb Daniel is excited by a new challenge at the Kangaroos after he felt some coaches at the Bulldogs had lost trust in him
By AAP
8DHwomOi.jpg

Caleb Daniel poses for a photo at a North Melbourne media opportunity on October 28, 2024. Picture: Getty Images

THE HURT of feeling some Western Bulldogs coaches no longer trusted him as a player will drive Caleb Daniel to show new club North Melbourne what he's made of.

Daniel was in Japan, battling with "bugger-all" phone reception, when his manager called in the final minutes of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period to confirm he had been sent to Arden Street in exchange for pick No.25 in this year's Telstra AFL Draft.

For 2016 premiership winner Daniel, it also ended a year of uncertainty, where he was in and out of the Bulldogs' team, playing just 16 games – including seven as the substitute.

"Obviously you're always seeking to play AFL footy, and I was able to do that for probably nine years and do it relatively successfully," Daniel said on Monday.

"And then last year didn't pan out my way, probably through form and sort of a lack of trust from some of the coaching staff and some confidence issues in my own ability.

"So I think being able to come to a new club and have a fresh start is something that's pretty special to me. And yeah, it's exciting.
HN9CWkgC.jpg

Caleb Daniel poses for a photo at a North Melbourne media opportunity on October 28, 2024. Picture: Getty Images

"I really am keen to play with some younger guys. I guess I'm 28 now and a bit of an older head, so hopefully (there's) plenty of footy left."

Asked whether the lack of trust from coaches had been hurtful, Daniel said: "Yeah, it's always going to hurt, I think, if some people lose confidence in you, and as a proud person you never want that to happen.

"So it does drive you. It drove me throughout the year as well, to keep my chin up and hold my head high and come to the footy club and still put in wholeheartedly into the program.

"So yeah, it does hurt, but it's exciting to see the way that we're able to go about it here (at North Melbourne) and throughout this pre-season and I'm looking forward to that challenge."

"Those two have tremendous leadership qualities, and they've obviously established themselves as great players for so many years, and I think that's really important," he said.

Kangaroos coach Alastair Clarkson has challenged Daniel to deliver leadership and help bring his teammates "up to standard".
1hB0yySw.jpg

Alastair Clarkson looks on during North Melbourne's clash against the Western Bulldogs in round 23, 2024. Picture: Getty Images

Daniel is excited by playing with the likes of Harry Sheezel, Colby McKercher and Luke Davies-Uniacke, and confident the Kangaroos can soon contend for their first finals berth since 2016.

"There's so much talent," Daniel said. "And it's exciting to see what they'll be able to push for hopefully this (coming) year."

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Caleb Daniel - Welcome to North Melbourne - NM trade R2(25) for CD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back