Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know why people try to defend our training standards? How else do you get this bad?
I take umbrage to that statement. I saw video of the guys training with the women during the week & it looked "slick". Real slick.
Let me tell you a story:
I was at the 1980 Moscow Olympics as part of Gary Honey's ensemble. He trained his guts out. We'd often lay barb-wire at the 5 metre mark of the sand pit to give Badger (that's what me & my 78 mates called him) extra incentive not to slacken off. It worked a treat. The only problem was, I was charged with clearing the wire from the pit after Badgers training sessions, but on one occasion in Moscow, I got distracted by a young Russian lass making proactive gestures by the hammer-throw cage. I wondered over and began discussing The Coal War with her, which surprisingly, she had no clue about. Deny. Deny. Deny. By then I'd had enough & being vegan, I flat-out expressed my rage re the Soviets sending a dog into space as part of the Sputnik space program. You can't tell me Laika the dog (God bless its sole) came back to Earth in "tip-top shape" as suggested by the Sputnik pioneers. So this Russian woman, who's name escapes me, eyeballs me!!!! I eyeballed her back. But to her credit, she didn't flinch. So as to break the deadlock, I began to lip sync the song Rasputin as I rocked the cradle with my Coca-Cola yoyo. She soon got it. But then to my horror, I heard screams from the long jump pit. Some Finnish long jumper was in an almighty tangle with the barb-wire. I quickly made a V-Line out of there & caught the next plane home. I've never spoken to Badger, or any of his crew since that day.

Bit late to the party here... Did Geordie play VFL last weekend?

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
No - he changed his mind after participating in our first training sessions and went back to Tas. Apparently mumbled something about more intensity where he came from on his way out. Also overheard saying something about at least they had a coffee cart and parking.

So who’s the elder statesman on our list who says this kids got it in spades and will make it. Very impressed with him.

So I asked what’s the back story and was told his effort around his fitness was lacking. Now not a shot at Geordie because he clearly took on board the feedback and went off and improved. Got fit and drafted. Super exciting times ahead .

I take umbrage to that statement. I saw video of the guys training with the women during the week & it looked "slick". Real slick.
Let me tell you a story:
I was at the 1980 Moscow Olympics as part of Gary Honey's ensemble. He trained his guts out. We'd often lay barb-wire at the 5 metre mark of the sand pit to give Badger (that's what me & my 78 mates called him) extra incentive not to slacken off. It worked a treat. The only problem was, I was charged with clearing the wire from the pit after Badgers training sessions, but on one occasion in Moscow, I got distracted by a young Russian lass making proactive gestures by the hammer-throw cage. I wondered over and began discussing The Coal War with her, which surprisingly, she had no clue about. Deny. Deny. Deny. By then I'd had enough & being vegan, I flat-out expressed my rage re the Soviets sending a dog into space as part of the Sputnik space program. You can't tell me Laika the dog (God bless its sole) came back to Earth in "tip-top shape" as suggested by the Sputnik pioneers. So this Russian woman, who's name escapes me, eyeballs me!!!! I eyeballed her back. But to her credit, she didn't flinch. So as to break the deadlock, I began to lip sync the song Rasputin as I rocked the cradle with my Coca-Cola yoyo. She soon got it. But then to my horror, I heard screams from the long jump pit. Some Finnish long jumper was in an almighty tangle with the barb-wire. I quickly made a V-Line out of there & caught the next plane home. I've never spoken to Badger, or any of his crew since that day.
Does she look familiar Arty?
1719534245891.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me tell you a story:
👍 One for the vault!

So further to my comment yesterday, I do believe his fitness isn't quite at the required level, which again is fine for now.

Is quite similar to Wardlaw in the way he goes about his business.

""
Has he earned himself a dinner invite yet?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Has he earned himself a dinner invite yet?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

The players are the ones who organise the invites, so no not as yet. Reckon he will in time.
When a seasoned footballer who has had a successful career likes what he sees. I'm on board for the ride.
I mean you're not drafted in either Nat or rookie, I kind of think your chances are at best slim. But on this occasion we have a legit reason as to why.

So further to my comment yesterday, I do believe his fitness isn't quite at the required level, which again is fine for now.

Is quite similar to Wardlaw in the way he goes about his business.

""

Not surprising regarding the fitness considering he was working as a full-time apprentice and playing footy prior to being drafted.

Working full time and the short/cold days down in Tassie would severely limit his ability to get out and do additional training on top of his Tas commitments.

Raw as, but plenty of upside.

So who’s the elder statesman on our list who says this kids got it in spades and will make it. Very impressed with him.

So I asked what’s the back story and was told his effort around his fitness was lacking. Now not a shot at Geordie because he clearly took on board the feedback and went off and improved. Got fit and drafted. Super exciting times ahead .
Big positive. Fitness can be improved.

Do you think there’s something a bit in it having to do with playing two seasons of u/18’s? Perhaps getting used to that intensity and not knowing what the next step should look or feel like? But no doubt like all the other draftees, he’ll progress at the same pace when going to an afl list

Do you think there’s something a bit in it having to do with playing two seasons of u/18’s? Perhaps getting used to that intensity and not knowing what the next step should look or feel like? But no doubt like all the other draftees, he’ll progress at the same pace when going to an afl list

I honestly don't know why, but I was told that someone ( well played) told him he's wasting his abilty by not being committed or words to that effect. He joined a gym and got himself in decent shape for that level. Now he needs to get AFL ready and I'm 100% sure that he will get the very best out of himself.

Firstly 23, is such a good number. Would be my first picked along with 17, something about how it's a later prime number—something in it.
Secondly, curious what role he plays for us in the firsts? high half forward like Curtis Taylor, 3rd tall like Zoo or winger?
Would love to hear what the resident experts think.

Firstly 23, is such a good number. Would be my first picked along with 17, something about how it's a later prime number—something in it.
Secondly, curious what role he plays for us in the firsts? high half forward like Curtis Taylor, 3rd tall like Zoo or winger?
at 184, he might need a late growth spurt

Could play as a pressure forward or as a half back.

His best work this season has been playing as a pressure forward, he can push up the ground and find the footy though.

The biggest attribute he has is his defensive intensity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back