NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
sb43.png

STEELERS 27 d. CARDINALS 23

Game summary

Pittsburgh took the opening kickoff and moved down the field on a 71-yard scoring drive, with Ben Roethlisberger completing a 38-yard pass to Hines Ward and a 21-yard strike to Heath Miller, putting the ball at the Arizona 1-yard line. On third down, Roethlisberger appeared to score on a quarterback scramble, but it was overruled by a replay challenge, which determined that he was down before the ball crossed the goal line. Rather than make another attempt at a touchdown, Pittsburgh settled for a Jeff Reed 18-yard field goal to take the 3–0 lead. It was the second straight year a team took the opening kickoff down for a score as the Giants did the same in Super Bowl XLII (the last time before that was the Falcons in Super Bowl XXXIII). The Steelers quickly forced an Arizona punt and then drove back down the field for what would turn into more points. On the first play of their drive, Roethlisberger completed a 25-yard pass to Santonio Holmes. Following three more completions to Miller for 26 yards and another one to Holmes for 7, reserve running back Gary Russell went into the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown run to make the score 10–0 on the second play of the second quarter. They became the first team to score on its first two drives since the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII. On defense, Pittsburgh held Arizona to just one drive and one first down in the first quarter, while gaining 135 yards.

The Cardinals got going for the first midway through the second quarter as a 45-yard completion from Kurt Warner to Anquan Boldin moved the ball to the Steelers' 1-yard line. On the next play, Warner nearly fell over after taking the snap, but he regained his balance and threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Ben Patrick. After an exchange of punts, Roethlisberger threw a pass that was tipped at the line of scrimmage and intercepted by linebacker Karlos Dansby at the Steelers 34-yard line with 2:46 left in the half. Seven plays later, the Cardinals drove to a first down on the Pittsburgh 1-yard line. But with 18 seconds left, Warner's pass was intercepted in the end zone by linebacker James Harrison, who then took off down the sideline for the longest play in Super Bowl history, a 100-yard return for a touchdown, increasing the Steelers' lead to 17–7 at halftime. A booth review was called to verify that Harrison had broken the plane, as he was tackled at the goal line, but the touchdown ruling was upheld.

After forcing a punt, the Steelers started off the third quarter with another long scoring drive. Aided by three personal foul penalties against Arizona, they moved the ball 79 yards in 14 plays and took 8:39 off the clock. However, they were unable to get into the end zone, despite two first downs inside the Cardinals 10 (a penalty against Arizona on a Steelers field goal attempt gave them another chance), and they had to settle for another Reed field goal to give them a 13-point lead, 20–7. After a few more punts, Warner lead the Cardinals down the field on an eight-play, 87-yard scoring drive that took 3:57 off the clock, utilizing a no huddle offense. With 7:33 left in the game, Warner threw a high floating pass to Larry Fitzgerald, who made a leaping catch through tight coverage by Ike Taylor for a touchdown, making the score 20–14.

Later on, Ben Graham's 34-yard punt pinned the Steelers back at their own 1-yard line. Two plays later on third down and 10, Roethlisberger threw a 20-yard pass to Holmes, but center Justin Hartwig was called for holding in the end zone, which not only nullified the catch, but gave the Cardinals a safety, raising the score to 20–16. Taking over on their own 36 after the free kick, Arizona took two plays to score, as Warner threw a pass to Fitzgerald on a slant pattern. Fitzgerald caught the ball without breaking stride and took off down the middle of the field past the Steelers secondary for a 64-yard touchdown reception, giving Arizona their first lead of the game, 23–20.

Pittsburgh got the ball back on their own 22-yard line with 2:37 left in the game and two timeouts remaining. On their first play, a holding penalty pushed them back 10 yards. Roethlisberger then completed two passes to Holmes for 27 yards. After an 11-yard reception by Nate Washington and a 4-yard run by Roethlisberger, he completed a 40-yard pass to Holmes at the Cardinals 6-yard line. Two plays later, Holmes caught a pass in the corner of the end zone and managed to land his toes down right before falling out of bounds for a touchdown. After a booth review upheld the play, Reed's ensuing extra point made the score 27–23 with 35 seconds remaining. Following the ensuing kickoff, Warner completed a 20-yard pass to Fitzgerald and a 13-yarder to Arrington, moving the ball to the Steelers 44. With 18 seconds left, linebacker LaMarr Woodley forced a fumble while sacking Warner, which defensive end Brett Keisel recovered, sealing Pittsburgh's NFL record sixth Super Bowl title.

[edit] Scoring summary

* 1st Quarter
o PIT – Jeff Reed 18 yard field goal, 9:45. Steelers 3–0. Drive: 9 plays, 71 yards, 5:15.
* 2nd Quarter
o PIT – Gary Russell 1 yard run (Jeff Reed kick), 14:01. Steelers 10–0. Drive: 11 plays, 69 yards, 7:12.
o ARI – Ben Patrick 1 yard pass from Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers kick), 8:31. Steelers 10–7. Drive: 9 plays, 83 yards, 5:27.
o PIT – James Harrison 100 yard interception return (Jeff Reed kick), 0:00. Steelers 17–7.
* 3rd Quarter
o PIT – Jeff Reed 21 yard field goal, 2:11. Steelers 20–7. Drive: 16 plays, 79 yards, 8:39.
* 4th Quarter
o ARI – Larry Fitzgerald 1 yard pass from Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers kick), 7:33. Steelers 20–14. Drive: 8 plays, 87 yards, 3:57.
o ARI – Holding penalty on Justin Hartwig in end zone for safety, 2:58. Steelers 20–16.
o ARI – Larry Fitzgerald 64 yard pass from Kurt Warner (Neil Rackers kick), 2:37. Cardinals 23–20. Drive: 2 plays, 67 yards, 21 seconds.
o PIT – Santonio Holmes 6 yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick), 0:35. Steelers 27–23. Drive: 8 plays, 78 yards, 2:02.

[edit] Statistics

In Super Bowl XLIII, Arizona and Pittsburgh combined for the fewest rushing attempts (38) and the fewest rushing yards (91) in Super Bowl history.[48][49] The Cardinals outgained the Steelers in both passing yards (374 to 234) and total yards (407 to 292), but committed 11 penalties for 106 yards. Arizona's safety in the fourth quarter was only the sixth one scored in Super Bowl history, the first since Super Bowl XXV.[50]

Warner completed 31 of 43 passes for 377 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception. His 377 yards was the second most in Super Bowl history behind his own record of 414 yards in Super Bowl XXXIV (Warner also holds the third place record with 365 yards in Super Bowl XXXVI).[51] With the three highest totals in Super Bowl history, he passed Joe Montana for most career yards in Super Bowl history with 1,156 (Montana threw for 1,142 yards in four games). He became the fifth quarterback in Super Bowl history to throw three touchdown passes in defeat (the others being Roger Staubach, Brett Favre, Jake Delhomme, and Donovan McNabb). He also became the first quarterback in Super Bowl history to have a pass intercepted and returned for a touchdown in two different Super Bowls and is also the second quarterback to throw a fourth-quarter touchdown in three different Super Bowls (Terry Bradshaw threw a fourth-quarter touchdown in all four of his Super Bowls).

Warner's top target was Fitzgerald, who caught seven passes for 127 yards and two touchdowns. Fitzgerald set a single postseason record with seven touchdown receptions, passing Jerry Rice, who had six in the 1988 postseason. Roethlisberger completed 21 of 30 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown, with one interception. Woodley had two sacks and a forced fumble, thus he continued setting NFL play-off records for consecutive multiple sack games by a player with 4. Arizona defensive tackle Darnell Dockett had both of Arizona's two sacks. Harrison's 100-yard interception return was the longest play of any kind in a Super Bowl.[52]

Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

This game actually has a great story behind it, something the NFL always loves to see in a Superbowl.

Tomlin, the HC of the Steelers beat out the existing Steeler co-ordinators for the Steeler HC job a few years go. Those two people, Whisenhunt and Grimm, who had been promised they would succeed Cowher, ended up being jilted at the altar by a Minnesota co-ordinator instead at the last minute because Tomlin wow'd Rooney, the owner.

So Whisenhunt and Grimm defect to Arizona where Steeler-football is being played there (defensively anyway).

Meanwhile, we also have the Kurt Warner story. Not only his original rags to riches cinderella story that saw him win the MVP and Superbowl with the Rams, but then the ordeal he went thru after those Rams years, as he was written-off and bounced from team to team. Even this year, he was supposedly no certainty to be starter. But due to Leinart's incompetence and lack of passion, Warner never stopped believing and is now poised to become a certain HOFer, especially if he wins this Superbowl (making it two wins). Two SB wins for a player is generally a HOF benchmark.

Meanwhile, we also have Edgerrin James, who also was written-off after his Colts years. And even this year was being pushed out from the starter job, was seeing Hightower and Arrington being groomed and pampered for the starter job, but the Edge never gave in and you can never undervalue a vet RB in the big games....he's been relied on more in the big end of season and playoff games.

Anyway, Warner and Edgerrin have a chance here to possibly retire as winners. Bow out if they win. Warner has intimated he might anyway.

You also have the Steelers chasing Superbowl history, would win their 6th title and become the leading Lombardi owner. And would also justify Tomlin's hire. Tho at the same time, Whisenhunt/Grimm taking the Cards to the Superbowl is definitely a bigger achievment for a franchise that has been a joke for 60 years. Often laughed at.

So there's a huge multi-story drama-packed superbowl to be played here. Let not the Cardinals presence be underestimated. This will be a battle royale!

Yep I'm getting on the Cards for this one. A high powered O v a high powered D... could we see the first Superbowl that goes to overtime?

Any other year and I would be going for the Steelers but how could anyone barrack against the Cardinals in this one? (Steeler fans being the obvious exception)

Fingers crossed that it's a cracker of a game, no blowouts please.

I hate the 2 week wait for the Superbowl god dammit :thumbsdown:

You also have the Steelers chasing Superbowl history, would win their 6th title and become the leading Lombardi owner.

Pittsburgh fans that seen all the other ones are calling this one a SIXPACK..

I'm happy to hopefully claim TWO for now. ;) But make No Mistake.. the Cardinals ARE NOT THE SAME TEAM We THINK they ARE. Big Ben yet to beat them and they have a couple ex-Steelers on their roster. Very dangerous.

Hmmm, not sure who to 'take' in this one. Just hope it has the same drama and excitement that last years had.
I have a man-love for Larry Fitzgerald, so would like to see him tear it up. But also would be happy to see our mate Woodys team win it for him.
So is a win-win as I really don't have a particular dislike for either team (immaculate reception aside).

Hmmm, not sure who to 'take' in this one. Just hope it has the same drama and excitement that last years had.
I have a man-love for Larry Fitzgerald, so would like to see him tear it up. But also would be happy to see our mate Woodys team win it for him.
So is a win-win as I really don't have a particular dislike for either team (immaculate reception aside).

I appreciate your support Manureid. If The Cards win, I'll be rapt for Wizard. I know what the feeling is like and I'd like to experience it 'again' but like it is an EXTRAVAGANT Celebration for getting there.. I have no doubt it'll be a rip-snorter game that hopefully won't be riddled with bogus poor officiating like the first half in SB XL. :eek: Having said that...Seahawks definately had their chances and blew it BIG TIME.

gg, is the date in your pic at the top a little out?

Not if they play it @ the 'G on our timeZone. ;) :D Month/date/year.. yankee way to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But also would be happy to see our mate Woodys team win it for him.

Pfft... why should he get to see two Superbowl championships when I haven't even see my team win one.;)

Pfft... why should he get to see two Superbowl championships when I haven't even see my team win one.;)

Bengals.......:p

Oh dear, i am very sorry....:D

2/1/2009 = February 1st 2009.
american date format.

Yeh, my mistake, for some reason I thought the game was on the 2nd of the 2nd, was not the date format that confuzzled me!

another interesting footnote: before the 70s, the Steelers tended to be as inept and lightly regarded as the Cards, if not even more so, and never was it better illustrated during WWII, when the Steelers, after merging with the Eagles in 1943 to form the surprisingly successful Steagles, reluctantly merged with the Cardinals so the league would have an even number of teams (the Rams had taken a year off, but returned, and the Boston Yanks would begin play, which would've made for an odd number had the Steelers chosen to stand alone). The combine, known officially as Card-Pitt (as the Cards were still in Chicago back then, Chi-Pitt wouldn't have worked) was derisively called the Carpets due to their poor play, which eventuated into an 0-10 record. (The Steagles, btw, had been 5-4-1 the year before)
Thus, as I ponder whether the Cards have finally had their "Steel Curtain" moment, or this is a mirage like '98, the Card-Pitt Bowl awaits.

Raskolnikov: I remember SB XXIII well...the Bengals were in pretty good position to win that one. You could argue that their defense could've stopped the Niners. The fact will always be that Montana, Rice and Taylor sliced your boys up and ate em for dinner on that last drive. Eh well, at any rate I think the Bengals will get back to the SB well before the Niners get their ish together.

good post, discrim.
yep, before the 70's the steelers were one of the very worst, if not the worst, football team in america for many decades.

so this superbowl could be like a shifting of the planes, like the beginning of an alternate reality.....where the cards over the next 30 years become a powerhouse winning 5 superbowls, and the steelers go back to being bad. Like this particular match-up at this particular time is the 'moment' when the time continuum shifts, and dopplegangers replace hats.

Gonna sound like a massive bandwagoner here cos i have never posted on this board before but **** can't believe cardinals are in the superbowl

good post, discrim.
yep, before the 70's the steelers were one of the very worst, if not the worst, football team in america for many decades.

so this superbowl could be like a shifting of the planes, like the beginning of an alternate reality.....where the cards over the next 30 years become a powerhouse winning 5 superbowls, and the steelers go back to being bad. Like this particular match-up at this particular time is the 'moment' when the time continuum shifts, and dopplegangers replace hats.
Throughout the 60's there were a few playoff appearances, but it took an immaculate reception for us to get that first playoff win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back