NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

Firstly, only the Steelers supporters care about them, while evrybody else doesn't.

A lot of Seahawk supporters still seem to care about the Steelers. Many are still whinging about XL...

img9210840.jpg

Once you get a Widescreen TV with HD you will never go back to the old 4:3 format:D

I won't be watching the game live - unfortunately I have to work during the day - but I will be recording the game on ESPN HD as well as the next two programs after that in case it goes into overtime.

Go Steelers!
We had a 6 hour blackout yesterday due to fires and what not... Wont be happy if that happens again at around 10am on Monday!

A lot of Seahawk supporters still seem to care about the Steelers. Many are still whinging about XL...
Bloody Seahawks. Had they not choked on the final drive in their 2006 playoff against the Bears, the Saints would have had home field in the NFC Championship Game and a more than likely SB berth,

Bloody Seahawks. :rolleyes:

Well I just played Madden as the Cards v the Steelers and went down 17-14. There's my prediction folks :(

I gave up as the Cards at half time it was just to boring. Half time scores Arizona 3 (32 yards)-0 Pittsburgh

expect Big Ben to throw 2 interceptions (1 in the RZ) in the first half with Parker fumbling at the 1 yard line

Im not sure, but i wonder what the stats comparison was between Grossman's SB game and Roethlisberger's. I'm not sure, but Grossman may have actually had a far better game.
Shit. Big Ben went that crap. even compared to Rex.

I went over the last 10 superbowls just to see if anybody has played worse than Big Ben. Had to go back to Super Bowl 35 to find somebody with a worse performance. Ill give all passing stats from the main QB for the last 10 superbowls just to keep us entertained for another day.

38 loser. Jake Delhomme 16/33 323 3/0 113.57
39 winner. Tom Brady 23/33 236 2/0 107.64
34 winner. Kurt Warner 24/45 414 2/0 101.53
38 winner. Tom Brady 32/48 354 3/1 100.52
33 winner. John Elway 18/29 336 1/1 99.21
42 winner. Eli Manning 19/34 255 2/1 87.25
36 winner. Tom Brady 16/27 145 1/0 86.19
42 loser. Tom Brady 29/48 266 1/0 82.47
41 winner. Peyton Manning 25/38 247 1/1 81.8
35 winner. Trent Dilfer 12/25 153 1/0 80.92
37 winner. Brad Johnson 18/34 215 2/1 79.9
36 loser. Kurt Warner 28/44 365 1/2 78.31
34 loser. Steve McNair 22/36 214 0/0 77.78
39 loser. Donovan McNabb 30/51 357 3/3 75.37
41 loser. Rex Grossman 20/28 165 1/2 68.3
40 loser. Matt Hasselback 26/49 273 1/1 67.81
37 loser. Rich Gannon 24/44 272 2/5 48.86
33 loser. Chris Chandler 19/35 219 1/3
40 winner. Ben Roethlisberger 9/21 123 0/2 22.62
35 loser. Kerry Collins 15/39 112 0/4 7.05

Bit rich coming from a ('still bitter ' perhaps ;)) Seahawks fan.
Not at all Woody. I think the reasons that I gave regarding this being a boring Super Bowl match-up is quite reasonable, and widespread here in the US too for that matter. It has nothing to with the referees giving Super Bowl XL to Pittsburgh to make sure that Jerome Bettis ended his career in style. In fact, I have no worries with the Steelers being in this Super Bowl if they were playing the Eagles. The PA state rivalry would have been fascinating!

Instead it's the boring Cardinals. The team that not even people in Phoenix care about, with the exception of those that have jumped on the bandwagon. A team that has only been there for twenty years in a city where at least 70% of the population were born elsewhere and already support other teams. A team that won the NFC West with a paltry 9 wins. Yawn.

1240.gif

I can just imagine those on the Cardinals bandwagon if they're losing too. I can definitely see them taking off their Cardinals jumper and claiming that they're really Steelers supporters, or Giants supporters, or Patriot supporters, or Bears supporters, or Raiders supporters etc. They are the cities that most people in Phoenix come from. It would be exciting though if both teams could lose, but it's too bad that can't happen.
I think Arena football is for you...
There isn't a 2009 Arena football season. It's been cancelled due to financial troubles. That said, Australian football is the main sport for me, although I definitely do enjoy American football too for different reasons. Good defence isn't one of those reasons though.
How can anyone possibly not enjoy watching strong defence?
Because it's as boring as all faaark! A team wins with a score of 13-3! How riveting! :rolleyes: How did you cop a red card there Cam? Was it on the Politics board?
Interesting pov, KissStephanie. Some of what you say is on point....especially the notion that people can be understandbly upset that a 9-7 NFC West team could win the SB. That it could make a bit of mockery of the regular season. And we've seen a lot recently of WC teams winning SBs...Seattle, Giants, and maybe now Cardinals.
I think the Cardinals stand alone out of those teams. The Seahawks won 13 and lost 3 in the 2005 regular season, and they earned the right to have the first week off by having the best record in the NFC. No complaints about that. They were 15 wins and 3 losses coming in to the Super Bowl after they won the NFC fair and square that season. While the Giants only won 10 and lost 6 last season, they had to do it the hard way by winning three away games just to reach the Super Bowl where they had to beat an undefeated opponent. No complaints about that, and well done to them.

The Cardinals on the other hand though won only 9 matches and lost 7 in the weakest division in the NFL. It's not like they dominated that division as the Seahawks did in 2005, because if they had, then there would be no complaints from me. The rules then allowed them to host the Falcons in the first week even though Atlanta had won 11 matches and lost 5 in a stronger division. Results also fell their way which allowed them to host the NFC Championship match. They were impressive against the Panthers, but it was quite realistically the home ground that made the difference in the other two matches. It was an advantage that a team with only 9 wins from the weakest division in the NFL did not deserve of course.

Shit. Big Ben went that crap. even compared to Rex.

I went over the last 10 superbowls just to see if anybody has played worse than Big Ben. Had to go back to Super Bowl 35 to find somebody with a worse performance.

Is that all you go by? care to actually watch the actual game Riggy? Clutch third down conversions perhaps?

Steelers D and the bunch of big plays that included Big Ben scrambling to connect with MVP Hines Ward which made the Steelers win a TEAM effort rather than a 'solely' hero behind centre. I wouldn't describe Big Ben's effort as crap at all. If Hasselbeck had a 'better game' then explain why the heck he didn't win the game for the Seahawks when the 'momentum' was riding with the Seahawks early in the last quarter????????????? huh?

Did it all come down to the Steelers D? Randle El made the gamebreaker play with a pass to Hines ward but that was with OVER 8 minutes left on the clock. Eight minutes!! If eating the clock is a tactic the Steelers adopted then the QB should be given credit to control the momentum.

Kiss Stephanie can rant & rave about it being a 'boring contest', so what? it's kinda true really... the Steelers PLAY to WIN not entertain for the sake of being a thrill seeking team. I expect the Steelers to grind this one out if need be. An 8 minute+ drive to get the ball in the endzone is all that Steeler fans truly care for. If the ARZ D relents then the Steelers will make sure the ARZ offense stays under the pump with pass coverage that will frustrate Warner and hopefully lead to a costly turnover for the Steelers.

Turnovers will be the key without a doubt. Just folly to believe the punting propaganda the Oz media are running with is going to be a factor. :rolleyes: As if the Steelers are one dimensional. Wasn't the 92 yard drive vs the Ravens in the last stages of the Wk 15 game an indication that the Steelers are quite capable to move the ball against a TOUGHER D??

The Oz media preview of the SB is DOWNRIGHT embarrassing and full of sheer ignorance. The Age put up the 'Eagles logo' (page 6) as the 'Steelers'. :rolleyes:

The same 'Peter mitchell' article was full of 'Ben graham beat up' in both papers that just underlines how 'dumb arsed' the Oz media can be. :eek:

As i don't plan on coming back on here before the game kicks off i would like to pass on some best wishes to the Steeler fans.

Woodson has been a good sport all week and has sent several PM's passing on his good luck to the Cardinals. Although i cant pass on to much good luck to Woodson and all the other Steeler fans on here i hope they have a good game and make this one hell of a super bowl with plenty of action and no injuries.

And one last thing..................................................

WELCOME TO DESERT STORM.............. VINCE IS COMING TO THE DESERT!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being in Tasmania and not having Austar, this is the first and only game I will see this season (hopefully by next season One HD will be here).

I'm very much looking forward to watching Troy Polamalu go around, my favourite Steeler Hines Ward, and from the Cards Larry Fitz and Steve Breaston. Should be a great game. Can't wait!!!:thumbsu:

As i don't plan on coming back on here before the game kicks off i would like to pass on some best wishes to the Steeler fans.

Woodson has been a good sport all week and has sent several PM's passing on his good luck to the Cardinals. Although i cant pass on to much good luck to Woodson and all the other Steeler fans on here i hope they have a good game and make this one hell of a super bowl with plenty of action and no injuries.

Had no choice Wizard.. after all it's Steelers vs Pittsburgh West ;)

I don't mind the Cards.. the game will an epic emotional roller coaster for the genuine team fans involved. I can see exactly where it's at for ARZ fans as they try to emulate the NYG & Steelers before them to try pull off a stunning upset by playing a smart game. Will need all the luck to control the clock which I think will be a MASSIVE FACTOR as well as keeping much of the momentum when it counts. This game has the potential to be everything.. a rip snorter shootout, a grinder, a turnover feast, snorefest (especially if the Steelers hog the ball and put in 15 play, 8 minute drives for a FG than keep Australia's poster boy busy with his lethal punting game),
or a combination of each of these.

The other type of game is a Blow Out. As the Raider fans are well aware that having the season MVP and a potent offense isn't the bees knees coming into the biggest game of the season. Raiders D wasn't shabby back then either.

Let not the Cardinals presence be underestimated. This will be a battle royale!

If Arizona wins, then I'll eat a bucket of spaghetti. ;)

If the Steelers get up, treat yourself to some of these

pancakes.jpg

:thumbsu:

Italian families do that anyway. Im not italian, and the idea of a bucket of spaghetti sounds like heaven to me. with lots of mozzarella cheese.

Ive got alot of family in Pittsburgh, so I may just watch my first NFL game tomorrow.

So is this game on live or what? ;)

Hopefully they give us Michaels and Madden and not Bob Papa and Sterling Sharpe who are doing the international feed.

So is this game on live or what? ;)

Hopefully they give us Michaels and Madden and not Bob Papa and Sterling Sharpe who are doing the international feed.
Your in QLD. so it will be live on ESPN and ESPN HD. with a 1 hour delay onto 10 and 10HD

Got money on for following:

Cards win
Warner MVP
Cards more than 72.5 rushing yards
Parker less than 20.5 carries (an early injury would help this bet)
First score Steelers Safety
Warner more than 1.5 touchdowns
Cardinals by more than 37 pts (stupid bet but at 126/1 worth 5 bucks)
Rothlisberger first TD
Steve Breaston first TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back