NFL (08/09) Super Bowl XLIII: Pittsburgh Steelers vs Arizona Cardinals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: (08/09) Superbowl XLIII: Arizona vs Pittsburgh

Theres not much happening around here at the moment.

I've been away for the weekend and expected to come back and the place be flooded but no such luck.
Less then 6 days to kick off boys and both teams are in Florida.

Heard an interesting fact about this game I hadn't heard mentioned elsewhere, but this is the first time in 25 years that QB's have squared off in the SB where both QB's already have a ring.

That can't be right can it?

Heard an interesting fact about this game I hadn't heard mentioned elsewhere, but this is the first time in 25 years that QB's have squared off in the SB where both QB's already have a ring.

That can't be right can it?

Sounds about right actually. I went through the superbowls that i could remember off the top of my head and couldn't think of a single one in the past 15 years or so.

Very interesting.

Just a note it seems Big Ben has redemption in mind after he stunk up the place against the Hawks a few years ago, didn't think he contributed etc.

Ken Whisenhunt has put the Cardinal on curfew effective from Wednesday as well, good move i think.

Just a note it seems Big Ben has redemption in mind after he stunk up the place against the Hawks a few years ago, didn't think he contributed etc.

Inside the numbers he did enough to make the clutch plays and Move the chains. I think he contributed enough to make a significant difference although the QB rating doesn't agree. Who cares. A Ring is a BLING! :)

Redemption is ok, only if = MVP. ;)

Every year there is some fascinating fact about the Big Dance and having two QB's with a ring each is a very interesting. The Melbourne print media made note that Ben Graham has recovered from groin soreness and is a certain starter according to the Whis. Other than that, the Melbourne print media couldn't tell ya jack. :rolleyes: Sporting capital fraud. :rolleyes:

Stupid question and apologies if it has been asked. Is SBS going to be showing the game at all this year? I have 10 HD but not Pay TV and have to work next Monday :mad:. I assume SBS have lost the rights so they won't be showing it.

Just finished reading some reports and watched soem videos from media day, nothing interesting and note worthy again it seems.
Knowone pulled a Jeremy Stevens.

Darnell Dockett saying DRC could out dance any Steelers player was quite funny. McFadden then went away and did a little dance to prove himself as a worthy competitior winning the Steelers dance-off.

Anquan Boldin very well spoken and responded to the attention he and Coach Haley had dealt with this week.
Benny Graham thanked his wife for her support over the past 4 years.
Sean Morey gave a very good insight into his career as a special teamer and his time at Pitt.
Larry Fitzgerald getting interview by his Dad was kinda neat.
The cross dressing reporter was a new one.
And the tape measure came out to measure to boys arms, needless to say Matt Leinart didnt win.

Can we get off the TV stuff, it has been covered countless times in this thread that the game will be on nationally from 10am on channel 10 and will be live on ESPN.

If you dont have ESPN and dont wanna watch the delay on 10 then watch on the net. Go to myp2p.eu for details.

Back to the game please.

Cmon Wiz, no probs with a question or two for those who are interested... Not much else going on anyway

Its been done to death though hasn't it dude, i mean seriously over the 11 pages i think the question has been answered 5 times atleast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been done to death though hasn't it dude, i mean seriously over the 11 pages i think the question has been answered 5 times atleast.

The TV situation is much more interesting than the fact that "Benny Graham thanked his wife for her support over the past 4 years"....

The TV situation is much more interesting than the fact that "Benny Graham thanked his wife for her support over the past 4 years"....

I think people are interested in the game itself and the players in the game then "tight asses" without Foxtel whinging about Tens coverage of the game.

I think people are interested in the game itself and the players in the game then "tight asses" without Foxtel whinging about Tens coverage of the game.

last I heard foxtel was in about 30% of homes, so the other 70% must be "tight asses" then I presume...

I live in WA by choice, and have foxtel btw, but the treatment of the WA by east coast centric TV franchises is a joke. Christ knows what's going to happen with the much hyped 24 hour live sports channel, it'll probably be on a 2 hour delay as well.

The Superbowl is the biggest American sporting event each year, you think they could show it live.

There you go, I've got it off my chest, and guess what Wiz, it's almost a free world, I can post whatever the moderator lets me get away with in this thread!

Just skimming thru those posts, the steeler fans are still being over-confident and writing off the Cards. Not all, but a lot are.

Obviously, the players is another matter, but when a whole tight-knit community over there, the fans etc, and media there are all back-slapping the Steelers in over-confidence, it CAN have an affect on the players.
I think the same thing is happening over in AZ, so I won't be worrying about it. I have read posts of Cards fans saying "who really have the Steelers D played all year?" Yeah, they only shut down just about every good receiver in the country. My favourite was someone who was saying that despite Polalamu, who else did the Steelers really have on defence. I mean, it is not like they have the Defensive Player of the Year or anything. This was said by a presenter on NFLN. How that guys gets paid is beyond me.

Most people in the States are on the Cards bandwagon and the sports writers/presenters are certainly all over them. Pretty much it is only the punters and Steeler Nation that are on the Steelers. Luckily, all we need is Steeler Nation. Some reports are the Steeler fans will outnumber the Cards fans 10 to 1 in there.

Fair comment GG.

It's a 50/50 contest in my eyes. I'm just as confident as the next guy but still aware that the opposition are a real threat if enough opportunities are given to capitilize.
The Steelers D is a better unit than the 2005 unit and Big Ben is a more rounded player although the O line is a concern... but how they (O-line) stepped up in the play-off stretch was a great indication that protection has improved remarkedly. Still the NE O was outstanding all of last season but failed in the crunch so I'm aware that the Steelers weak link can be exposed.
The Garbage Men (Steelers O) have been playing a lot better lately. After the middle of the year, when they sucked badly and Ben got slammed, he refused to take all the blame and talked to the O about what they need to do so he can do what he needs to. Since then, they have just found ways to buy that extra few seconds that allows Ben to make plays.

If the O can hold up, then we can put on a big score. One that may surprise a few that don't watch the Steelers much and understand the conditions they play in.

I think the same thing is happening over in AZ, so I won't be worrying about it. I have read posts of Cards fans saying "who really have the Steelers D played all year?" Yeah, they only shut down just about every good receiver in the country. My favourite was someone who was saying that despite Polalamu, who else did the Steelers really have on defence. I mean, it is not like they have the Defensive Player of the Year or anything. This was said by a presenter on NFLN. How that guys gets paid is beyond me.

Most people in the States are on the Cards bandwagon and the sports writers/presenters are certainly all over them. Pretty much it is only the punters and Steeler Nation that are on the Steelers. Luckily, all we need is Steeler Nation. Some reports are the Steeler fans will outnumber the Cards fans 10 to 1 in there.

Fans from both SB teams can and often get delusional. Cards fans are by no means innocent of arrogance or over-confidence or pride/hope.

last I heard foxtel was in about 30% of homes, so the other 70% must be "tight asses" then I presume...

I live in WA by choice, and have foxtel btw, but the treatment of the WA by east coast centric TV franchises is a joke. Christ knows what's going to happen with the much hyped 24 hour live sports channel, it'll probably be on a 2 hour delay as well.

The Superbowl is the biggest American sporting event each year, you think they could show it live.

There you go, I've got it off my chest, and guess what Wiz, it's almost a free world, I can post whatever the moderator lets me get away with in this thread!

Why are you whinging? You have foxtel so if you want to see games you get the oppurtunity to see them live anyway.
If people are so desperate to watch the game the go online and watch it or go to a pub.

Remember you said "The Superbowl is the biggest American sporting event each year".
American not Australian.

Ken Whisenhunt has put the Cardinal on curfew effective from Wednesday as well, good move i think.
Isn't that the case for every Super Bowl team since the 70's.

I know from my conversations with a player of that era that there was always a curfew and if you missed it there were big fines. He talked about rushing back for curfew and almost getting in a car smash because of it.

The sports channel will be live, that is the whole point of it. Problem is now they need to align 10HD with the regular programming, creating issues with live sport in the different time zones. With the sports channel, it will just be live sport all the time, with a few random shows thrown in, which can go on at any time (I guess they will probably be timed for the east coast market, as is always the case).

Isn't that the case for every Super Bowl team since the 70's.

I know from my conversations with a player of that era that there was always a curfew and if you missed it there were big fines. He talked about rushing back for curfew and almost getting in a car smash because of it.

It's been pretty uneventfull in Florida so far, here are some of the better Superbowl week happenings:

Max McGee
The original Super Bowl bad boy. The night before Super Bowl I, McGee was told there would be one bed check. After that check, McGee, who didn't figure to play in the game, hit the streets. He later told teammate Jerry Kramer that he was in search of "some blonde" he met the night before. Who knows if he ever found her, but he did find a few watering holes on his search. "I waddled in about 7:30 in the morning, and I could barely stand up for the kickoff," McGee later said.

When starting WR Boyd Dowler was injured, McGee, 34, was forced into the game. After catching only four passes all season, McGee caught seven for 137 yards and two touchdowns in Green Bay's 35-10 victory against the Chiefs.

Duane Thomas
One of football's all-time great head cases. He got traded from the Cowboys, then the trade was voided after a blowup with Patriots coach John Mazur. Once back with the Cowboys, Thomas didn't speak to his teammates for the whole season. On media day before Super Bowl VI, Thomas refused to answer any questions, which is too bad because a year earlier before Super Bowl V he had this gem: "If it's the ultimate, how come they're playing it again next year?"
Nevertheless, Thomas rushed for 95 yards and a touchdown in the Cowboys' 24-3 win against Miami in Super Bowl VI. When CBS reporter Tom Brookshier asked a long question that ended with, "You're fast, aren't you?" Thomas cracked, "Evidently."

Eugene Robinson
There are many ways to spend the night before the Super Bowl. Offering an undercover female police officer 40 bucks for oral sex isn't one of the better choices. Yet that's what the Falcons safety did the night before Super Bowl XXXIII. As if that wasn't bad enough, Robinson's indiscretion came on the same day he was honored with the Bart Starr Award for having "high moral character."
You just know how this all ended: Robinson gave up an 80-yard touchdown pass and missed a tackle on another Denver touchdown as the Broncos blew out the Falcons 34-19.
There's a good way to spend a Super Bowl weekend and then there's Robinson's way.

Jim McMahon
The shades. The spiked hair. The canary-eating grin. Football's favorite rebel was commissioner Pete Rozelle's biggest nightmare. After being fined for violating the league's dress code by wearing a head band that read "Adidas," McMahon started wearing one that read "Rozelle."
After injuring his rear end in the NFC championship game, McMahon gave photographers at Super Bowl XX a, ahem, first-hand look at his injury by mooning them.
This on top of calling the women of New Orleans a derogatory name that questioned their, shall we say, moral standards. Hey, at least he showed up for the game: His Bears routed the Patriots 46-10.

Barret Robbins
One of the saddest and strangest cases of a Super Bowl gone bad. Robbins was a Pro Bowl center for the Raiders in 2002. But he disappeared just before the Raiders were to play the Bucs in Super Bowl XXXVII. He was found in a hospital suffering from a bipolar disorder and depression.
Robbins' life continued to spiral out of control. In 2005, he was shot three times during a brawl with police in South Florida and was charged with attempted murder and was sentenced to five years' probation.
In 2007, Robbins was wanted for parole violation, but authorities have not located him for extradition.

Fred Williamson
People's Exhibit No. 1 on why no one should ever talk smack before a big game: It might come back to haunt you.
Kansas City DB Fred "The Hammer" Williamson told reporters before Super Bowl I that he would use his hammer forearm tackle to knock the Packers' Boyd Dowler and Carroll Dale out of the game.
Turns out, it was Williams who was knocked out of the game when his head collided with the knee of Packers RB Donny Anderson.

"Hollywood" Henderson
People's Exhibit No. 2 on why no one should ever talk smack before a big game.
Before Super Bowl XIII against the Steelers, the Cowboys linebacker told reporters that Pittsburgh QB Terry Bradshaw was so dumb that he "couldn't spell "cat" if you spotted him the "c" and the "t."
But there was something Bradshaw could spell: M-V-P. Bradshaw set then-Super Bowl records by throwing for 318 yards and four touchdowns as the Steelers beat the Cowboys 35-31.

Joe Namath
Not all trash talk turns out bad. Sometimes it makes you a star.
Take Joe Namath. The quarterback's most famous moment off the field came before Super Bowl III when he predicted his Jets would upset the heavily favored Colts.
"We're gonna win the game. I guarantee it." He later claimed he only said it because he was provoked by a Colts fan. Still, the Jets won 16-7, turning Namath into a legend.

John Matuszak
The Tooz was known as a wild child, but when the Raiders landed in New Orleans for Super Bowl XV, Matuszak said he was going to lay low and even volunteered to keep the young guys out of trouble. That lasted about two days.
Matuszak later claimed that after a night on Bourbon Street, he woke up next to some woman he didn't remember meeting. "I'd love to give you all a blow-by-blow account of the evening," Matuszak told reporters, "but it's basically a blur."

Stanley Wilson
The night before Super Bowl XXIII, the Bengals running back told teammates he needed to retrieve his playbook before a meeting.
A short time later, Wilson was found in his bathroom high on cocaine. The Bengals left him off the roster, and it might have been costly.
Wilson was known for excelling in poor field conditions, and his Bengals lost 20-16 to the 49ers on a muddy field in Miami.

Thought i'd drop in, but I dont post on this board at all really, apart from when Big Ben had his motorcycle accident which was when.. start of 2006 after Steelers won in 05?

Havnt been a massive Steelers fan, but have followed them since I went to Pittsburgh in 1994/1995. Always try to keep track off where they are, whats happening and stuff. Its one of those things where if I was able to watch it I'd be alot more into it!

I'll be watching the game holding my Terrible Towel in my Steelers shirt! I hope Benny Graham does well, but not too well. Cardinals wont be able to break down Steelers Defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back