1 more cleanout and good draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
We've been going through a 5 year rebuild and almost a complete turnover of the 2004 list which will be completed after this years cleanout and draft. People were comparing our list to Carltons and rating them similar. The only difference is we've had 6 oldies on the list holding back kids a bit longer than we'd like. This year we overrated what the 6 old players could do this year but we now realised players such as Simmonds, Brown, Bowden, Cousins & Richo(although both injured a fair bit) are on a quick downward slide. We were in an unlucky situation having about five 29 year olds on the list. Next year might be a bit early to expect alot, but 2011 is the window. That's when Post, Putt, Vickery could start to shine. I still have hope in Hughes to. He showed enough at afl level to say he has something and we have heard about his issues which are holding him back. We have finally got our defence settled and i think it's something to get excited about honestly.
FB Tambo Thursty Newman
HB Polo Mcguane Rance

Our midfield has too many hard players who don't have elite skill and we'll target a quality midfielder in the draft. Cotchin and Deledio will be freaks in a couple of years imo. But we need another skillfull midfielder. I think Cogs and Tuck have to be moved on by 2011. We can only afford to have Jacko and Foley in the middle and Thomson will be getting games too. I think losing todays game will mean we will get a pick before West Coast and only melbourne will probably get earlier picks. With Thomson and a couple of draft picks, we still have alot to look forward to in the middle. Graham, Patto and Vickery can do the job in the ruck.

We have Reiwoldt, Nahas and Morton in the full forward line. We may find out by the end of this year that we actually have a pretty decent half forward line and if we can add another tall in the draft we should be well situated :thumbsu:

the club has been concentrating on the age profile for the last 5 years and neglected talent and skill. you cant expect to get anywhere drafting 18 year old then play them for 5 years to get into the finals then add 2 more years to get a premiership if they dont have the talent.

the other clubs have recruited more talented players and the club is 1 or 2 steps behind everyone else with the bunch of drafted they have.

good post MT, we need to settle our forward line and find who fits amd who wants to play, hopefully conners improves his fitness. play hughes, post, putt, gourdis and see who can play at top level and who cant.

The future is unclear given the list is under 'caretaker management' and we have 11 games to play. But I would be surprised if Richo and Cousins were not kept on next year (injury and personal factors permitting). Brown would also be a strong chance to stay on. I doubt whether Simmonds, Bowden, Polak (alas), Pettifer, McMahon or King will survive.

I very much doubt that Coughlan will go. Schulz may be traded (but I would prefer if he was kept for depth to allow for injury and time for the young talls to come on.) There may be a delisting of one or two of the younger players, but there is still time for Hughes, JON, Hislop and such to prove their worth. I am especially looking forward to Thomson being given a go.

Despite what is often said by understandably frustrated/embittered Tiger fans on this forum, we are not that far off being a finals contender.

I feel that a complete and utter rebuild is the only option. I can honestly hardly think of any youngsters that have shown anything that suggests they are potentially part of a premiership team.

At least now we have got rid of Wallace (who I think was a cancer who ruined our window of oppertunity to recuit some talent) and we can try restart with a true leader

We've been going through a 5 year rebuild and almost a complete turnover of the 2004 list which will be completed after this years cleanout and draft. People were comparing our list to Carltons and rating them similar. The only difference is we've had 6 oldies on the list holding back kids a bit longer than we'd like. This year we overrated what the 6 old players could do this year but we now realised players such as Simmonds, Brown, Bowden, Cousins & Richo(although both injured a fair bit) are on a quick downward slide. We were in an unlucky situation having about five 29 year olds on the list. Next year might be a bit early to expect alot, but 2011 is the window. That's when Post, Putt, Vickery could start to shine. I still have hope in Hughes to. He showed enough at afl level to say he has something and we have heard about his issues which are holding him back. We have finally got our defence settled and i think it's something to get excited about honestly.
FB Tambo Thursty Newman
HB Polo Mcguane Rance

Our midfield has too many hard players who don't have elite skill and we'll target a quality midfielder in the draft. Cotchin and Deledio will be freaks in a couple of years imo. But we need another skillfull midfielder. I think Cogs and Tuck have to be moved on by 2011. We can only afford to have Jacko and Foley in the middle and Thomson will be getting games too. I think losing todays game will mean we will get a pick before West Coast and only melbourne will probably get earlier picks. With Thomson and a couple of draft picks, we still have alot to look forward to in the middle. Graham, Patto and Vickery can do the job in the ruck.

We have Reiwoldt, Nahas and Morton in the full forward line. We may find out by the end of this year that we actually have a pretty decent half forward line and if we can add another tall in the draft we should be well situated :thumbsu:

I made a poll about tuck and coughlan and who should be kept at the next couple of years, and everybody jumped down my throat. your spot on about the two both have average foot skills which unfortunatly means Bye,Bye in todays footy.

I lke your end paragraph, out FF ine looks good its just at HF we struggle, hopefully Post,Gourdis,Putt could hold that KP spot or even a player we pick up in the draft.

Good Post:thumbsu:

I'm excited about the next 11 weeks to see what kind of forward line we could have in the future. I'd hope players like Post, Putt, Vickery, Gourdis, Hughes and Thomson each get to play at least 5 games this season. That's 5 key forwards and a midfielder. Surely we have 2 future key forwards from that list

I'm excited about the next 11 weeks to see what kind of forward line we could have in the future. I'd hope players like Post, Putt, Vickery, Gourdis, Hughes and Thomson each get to play at least 5 games this season. That's 5 key forwards and a midfielder. Surely we have 2 future key forwards from that list

Probablly not, but give them a chance to prove me wrong.:thumbsu:

I feel that a complete and utter rebuild is the only option. I can honestly hardly think of any youngsters that have shown anything that suggests they are potentially part of a premiership team.

At least now we have got rid of Wallace (who I think was a cancer who ruined our window of oppertunity to recuit some talent) and we can try restart with a true leader

I'd say our back 6 is settled for the future. We have at least half a forward line and 2/3 of a midfield. But we'll find 2 more forwards and a mid from our current young list. I reckon the rebuild is 80% complete. 1 more cleanout will finish a 5 year rebuild since the end of 2004. 5 more draft picks at the end of this year, 2 or 3 elevations from the rookie list and about 8 delistings/retirements. 2011 is when we should be seeing great signs

I made a poll about tuck and coughlan and who should be kept at the next couple of years, and everybody jumped down my throat. your spot on about the two both have average foot skills which unfortunatly means Bye,Bye in todays footy.

I lke your end paragraph, out FF ine looks good its just at HF we struggle, hopefully Post,Gourdis,Putt could hold that KP spot or even a player we pick up in the draft.

Good Post:thumbsu:

I'd give Cogs and Tuck another year though. Cogs may be better next year for the run. I'd like to see Thomson and whichever highly rated midfielder we pick up in the draft get alot of game time next year. We should aim at using Tuck as a backup at Coburg. If Cogs doesn't show improvement next year then his time should be up and Tuck may be gone at the end of next year too. Foley is a better player with skillfull players around him. Hopefully we pick up a quality ready made midfielder in the draft. I really hope Post and Thomson come in next week. I'd keep Richo and Cousins next year also

I'd say our back 6 is settled for the future. We have at least half a forward line and 2/3 of a midfield. But we'll find 2 more forwards and a mid from our current young list. I reckon the rebuild is 80% complete. 1 more cleanout will finish a 5 year rebuild since the end of 2004. 5 more draft picks at the end of this year, 2 or 3 elevations from the rookie list and about 8 delistings/retirements. 2011 is when we should be seeing great signs

I agree there are gaps, but I think the major question is the forward line. I (The midfield is of a higher quality and depth than our results have shown thus far this season.) The answer probably lies in developing the young talls we already have.

And I'm more optimistic about the immediate future. I think you will see signs of rapid improvement this year and exciting signs next year. But I agree 2011 looks like the year we could be a serious challenger.

players who definately wont be there in 3 yrs time. this is the minimal time we should be looking forward.

in three yrs time that is 3 drafts all of richardson cousins brown simmonds bowden johnson whos gone already will be gone.

others that wont be there they either have not established themselves or have chronic deficiency in their game or both.

polak pettifer hughes king mcmahon jon pattison raines schulz white.

you then have blokes like tuck who will be 31 in 3 yrs time coughlan who in all honesty is just to slow now and poorly skilled kids like edwards. i tell ya its more like 3 cleanouts turning over 8 players each yr over those 3 yrs. and i havent even mentioned the kids who wont make because some of them wont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

players who definately wont be there in 3 yrs time. this is the minimal time we should be looking forward.

in three yrs time that is 3 drafts all of richardson cousins brown simmonds bowden johnson whos gone already will be gone.

others that wont be there they either have not established themselves or have chronic deficiency in their game or both.

polak pettifer hughes king mcmahon jon pattison raines schulz white.

you then have blokes like tuck who will be 31 in 3 yrs time coughlan who in all honesty is just to slow now and poorly skilled kids like edwards. i tell ya its more like 3 cleanouts turning over 8 players each yr over those 3 yrs. and i havent even mentioned the kids who wont make because some of them wont.

I'll never understand dislike towards pattison. He's a ruckman. He is a better prospect than all of geelongs ruckman and many others. He's a big part of the future. Good around the ground, improving in the ruck. He missed over half of last season and 7 rounds this season due to injury.

in the next month try out gourdis and putt. just try them see if they can make the grade and how well they perform at senior level. i would like to see these 2 tried first as they might be gone next year.

nah, we dont need a cleanout guys. we just clean out terry wallace. thats the biggest clean out we done in this 5 yr rebuild. all we need in the draft r tall Kpp players. browne and gus will be our ruck combo, rotating with vickery. allroy will be promoted and will be the small crumbing foward next to nahas. we'll be alrite. dw jade will play those tall young fowards, terry was to busy saving his own backside

Personally this year and next. What's 1 more year? That way most duds will be gone and several new talented kids will be added to the list. Then its just a matter of game plan etc.

nah, we dont need a cleanout guys. we just clean out terry wallace. thats the biggest clean out we done in this 5 yr rebuild. all we need in the draft r tall Kpp players. browne and gus will be our ruck combo, rotating with vickery. allroy will be promoted and will be the small crumbing foward next to nahas. we'll be alrite. dw jade will play those tall young fowards, terry was to busy saving his own backside
speaking of allroy Gilligan, does anyone know how he is going?

Personally this year and next. What's 1 more year? That way most duds will be gone and several new talented kids will be added to the list. Then its just a matter of game plan etc.
Not much point there. Gold Coast steals everything.

if two of vickery, gourdis, putt and hughes turn into good players we will be laughing.
i still think we are two drafts away from really getting back on track though, even with the gold coast coming in we can still draft quality players. the focus must be on skill rather then athletic ability. if they did an AFL olympics we might just win it but we dont have the players to win us games of footy just yet.

two midfielders, a tall foward and a half back flanker away from setting up a pretty good list.

if two of vickery, gourdis, putt and hughes turn into good players we will be laughing.
i still think we are two drafts away from really getting back on track though, even with the gold coast coming in we can still draft quality players. the focus must be on skill rather then athletic ability. if they did an AFL olympics we might just win it but we dont have the players to win us games of footy just yet.

two midfielders, a tall foward and a half back flanker away from setting up a pretty good list.

you forgot Post :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

1 more cleanout and good draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back