#1 - Richard Tambling

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Richard Tambling officially a Crow!

I'm liking this deal very much.

AFL gave us SFA for Bock. Well that's what we thought. Assuming pick 50 is worth even less than SFA, we ended up with Tambling as a replacement.

Bock is 27, and has played 113 games.
RT is 24, and has played 108 games.

Compare Bock's 2008 to RT's 2009, their best seasons of late.

Bock, 23 games, 495d (av. 21.5) 2 goals, 34 tackles, 21FF, 30FA, 6 Brownlow votes. Crows finished 5th.
RT, 20 games, 430d (av 21.5), 8g, 63T, 11FF, 11FA, 5BM. Tigers finished 15th.

So we get someone who gets just as much of the footy, tackles harder and gives away less frees, who has potential to give us 3 more years of twilight, and does all this in a crap team.

Welcome to the Crows, Richard! We're a fickle bunch of fans, but keep the curfews, don't bash your girlfriend, don't drink drive and just keep your eyes on the ball (figuratively and literally), and you'll win us all over eventually.

For those who missed the interview

-He is very excited to get a fresh start here at the AFC
-When he flew over to Adelaide, his discussions with Neil helped him make his decision
-He would like to play as an 'outside wingman' as well as a HBF as the wider wings on AAMI would suit him. Would also like a chance in the centre
-His first preference was to stay in Melbourne with his young family but once he came over and spoke with Neil/some players he believed that the Adelaide lifestyle would suit him better after originally coming from Darwin.
-And before signing off he made reference to the Sri Lankan cause he is volunteering for "Sri Lanka Unite"

All in all sounds like a great bloke and one that we will love to have around the AFC.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103843/default.aspx

Tambing has been used in a range of positions by the Tigers, and most recently enjoyed a stint in the half-back line.

However, he's hoping to spend more time in the midfield with the Crows.

"When I sat down with Neil Craig he had a few positions on the table where I could fit in," Tambling said.

"One of the positions was as an outside wingman. I’d like to get the opportunity to be an inside player as well, but to start off with I think that being an outside player at Adelaide, with the wider wings at AAMI Stadium, will probably suit me in more ways than one.

"When I was younger I always played in the centre, so that's my favourite position, although with the bigger bodies in the AFL I think it suits me to play on the wing or half-back.

"Bu I'd like to be given the opportunity to play in the middle at times, whether it's five minutes per quarter or so. That would be great."

Tambling was interviewed by Cornesy and Rowey between 4 30 pm and 5 00 pm today.

I knew it was on but I had this prick in my office who had a hatful of problems that he needed help with. By the time I finally got him out and turned the radio on, all I heard was them saying after the interview what a terrific guy Tambling was.

Did anybody hear it, and if so, what did Tambling have to say???

Alternatively, if some genius has recorded it, could they please post a link to it??

They (cornesy) mostly wanted to know about his upbringing (mainly by his grandmother not his mum), currently packing his house up coming over monday week i think it was.
Staying at henley beach at a staff members apartment. Had interest from a few other clubs.
Had some surgery over here a week or so ago when he got back from Sri Lanka.
Excited to be coming over for a fresh start, thinks he will fit into adelaide, likes the slower pace smaller city has some friends playing in the sanfl.
Thinks adelaide are a well structured and well drilled team ( doesnt everyone). That was pretty much the gist of it.

He said that when he was at Richmond he felt like he didn't have a role and in some games played in about 5 different positions. He said that he will be playing half back and midfield.
Spoke about his recent surgery. Spoke a lot about his up bringing and how he wants to help out his community when footy finishes. He also said that he loved what he saw of SA when he came over the other week and that our weather is much better than Victoria. Has several friends who play in the SANFL.

no probs. He sounded like an excellent well grounded person. He did also say that he did struggle with some of the pressure that was put on him. Was reluctant to bag the richmond supporters. I really think he can prosper here. Anyone know if Mcleod is still going to be around the club to give bling some support if he wants or needs?

no probs. He sounded like an excellent well grounded person. He did also say that he did struggle with some of the pressure that was put on him. Was reluctant to bag the richmond supporters. I really think he can prosper here. Anyone know if Mcleod is still going to be around the club to give bling some support if he wants or needs?

Macca has always been a champion of the aboriginal cause, and although he has no offial role with the club in 2011 I'd be surprised if he didn't link up with Tambling to assist him in settling into an important role for Adelaide.

I'ts a great story of a man who had the most humble and less privileged upbringing in the community outside Darwin, who went to the big smoke in Melbourne to have a crack at AFL footy and by doing so has changed his life.

It's even a bit more than that because he has been working in Sri Lanka and Australia to help change the lives of other less privileged individuals, something that he wants to do full-time when his footy days are over.

I have no doubt that he will blossom in this environment under Neil craig and prove to be a very very good pick up for the Crows.

Many thanks to 5AA for putting the interview up so quickly - it's a must listen. :thumbsu:

He's very impressively well-spoken, which is good to see. Seems to be really centred and have an understanding of himself and where he's at, which I think is a vital component in turning a career around. Also very fascinating to hear him place such an emphasis on having a role. He was brought in to Richmond with the expectation that he would be able to do anything, but that just didn't work out for him. He seems to really understand the importance of getting settled into a spot.

He's always had the talent, if he find a position in our side and stay there a while, he'll become a decent footballer at least, you imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My new favourite Crows player (sorry Stiffy) - i've followed Bling closely since he was drafted in 2004 as i liked the type of play he had.

Make no mistake, provided there are no after-effects due to his injuries, and provided that we use him properly, the Crows have (in my biased opinion :) ) a real player on their hands at a bargain price (pick 33+ is bottom 2nd round for a player of his calibre.
He will be both quick, and exciting to watch and with a good leap and he is not just an outside player - he is very much an inside player too and will get his own ball if needed - i hope that we rotate him through the wing and in the centre. (Do NOT use him as a forward/crumber!!)

He is also a quality young man with leadership group ability.

Watch this space!

Interesting to hear on 5AA today that Craig has contacted McLeod and asked him just to keep an eye on Tambling, to make sure he's settling in and to help him through any issues that may arise. I was really hoping that we would take advantage of our good standing with McLeod to have him mentor some of our young aboriginal players, so I'm delighted to hear this news :thumbsu:

Tambling could have no better mentor :thumbsu:

I'm hoping Tambling with his good character, will mentor the likes of Petrenko, Armstrong and Milera. Hopefully Johncock is already doing that i imagine.

I like the idea of Mcleod to mentor Tambling, if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back