Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aaron Francis of the House Targaryen, the first of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, King of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, the Unburnt, Father of Dragons, Breaker of Chains, King of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.

Just sayinn....
...and somewhat gender confused.

Deans problem was not Turtle meat, it was a knee issue that wan not fixed properly early on in his career. Played the last 6 years with bone on bone and unable to train 100% plus the fact he would have to have his knee drained 3 or 4 times a season.
To be able to play AFL on the weekend would suggest to me he was still mobile enough to be able to keep fit.
I'd say the issue was not one or the other, it was both. He would over indulge for someone that couldn't burn it off.

To be able to play AFL on the weekend would suggest to me he was still mobile enough to be able to keep fit.
I'd say the issue was not one or the other, it was both. He would over indulge for someone that couldn't burn it off.

If you choose not to believe then so be it but i am telling you his knee was stuffed and some blokes have to train harder than others to keep in shape.
The stories about Dean and his eating where way over stated and mainly internet junk that somehow became fact. Dean was always a bigger bloke but the last 6 years his knee was ****ed. You try and get fit when you have to get your knee drained of fluid 3 or 4 times a season.

um

am i the only one who has a gross meaning for turtle meat?

If you choose not to believe then so be it but i am telling you his knee was stuffed and some blokes have to train harder than others to keep in shape.
The stories about Dean and his eating where way over stated and mainly internet junk that somehow became fact. Dean was always a bigger bloke but the last 6 years his knee was stuffed. You try and get fit when you have to get your knee drained of fluid 3 or 4 times a season.
Ryan Harris managed to keep fit with the same problem. Plenty of others with the same issue have had alternative training routines, ie swimming
Yes I believe his knee was buggered, but he still obviously over indulged and didn't do the right things for someone in his position.

But if his knee was that bad on the off days, the turtle meat stories would make sense, because he wouldn't have too much trouble catching them.

Last edited:
Ryan Harris managed to keep fit with the same problem. Plenty of others with the same issue have had alternative training routines, ie swimming
Yes I believe his knee was buggered, but he still obviously over indulged and didn't do the right things for someone in his position.

But if his knee was that bad on the off days, the turtle meat stories would make sense, because he wouldn't have too much trouble catching them.
the turtle meat thing is racism, pure and simple.

Rioli had a bad knee, which meant he couldn't train, which meant he couldn't lose weight, which was bad for his knee. It was a vicious circle.

um

am i the only one who has a gross meaning for turtle meat?

You can't say that and not tell us what it is.

Details. Now...

EDIT: or maybe don't, it's on urban dictionary for those curious...

You can't say that and not tell us what it is.

Details. Now...

EDIT: or maybe don't, it's on urban dictionary for those curious...

And then you have to ask yourself why that would keep a footballer off the park. It's intriguing.

How?

Makes enough sense to me, I agree with this.
it's racist in any number of ways. Because it implies tiwi islanders are simple folk. Because the implication is that a tiwi islander isn't professional and is skivving off home to eat turtle meat. Because it is an unfounded accusation made in ignorance generally.

It's a bit like saying Black people love watermelon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't recall specifics but perhaps Rioli joked about eating turtle meat when he visited home once and then people somehow assumed he kept on doing it.

Either way, it's always struck me as an unfounded accusation/assumption that doing that was what made him unfit and so on.

Also getting a lot off the topic of Aaron Francis; let's get back on course.

Because it is an unfounded accusation made in ignorance generally.It's a bit like saying Black people love watermelon
Fair enough, thank you.

Also getting a lot off the topic of Aaron Francis, let's get back on course.
No probs, I knew the topic was straying, I just wanted to understand Lance's logic behind his comments, rather than spraying an opposing view at him straight away.

Strap yourselves in people - a pretty amazing ride is about to begin down at Windy Hill this weekend. Of all our talented youngsters - of which there are many - this guy I am most bullish about. Will be our most dominant figure on the field in the years to come.

Can't wait til he earns a spot in the seniors!

I don't recall specifics but perhaps Rioli joked about eating turtle meat when he visited home once and then people somehow assumed he kept on doing it.

Either way, it's always struck me as an unfounded accusation/assumption that doing that was what made him unfit and so on.

Also getting a lot off the topic of Aaron Francis; let's get back on course.
In the dim dark recesses of my mind, I reckon this started with a rant by Tony Shaw in the media at Riolis lack of professionalism (his view, not mine). Slightly concerned that I recall this....surely better things I could commit to memory.

Anyway, there is a pic of Francis on EFC website and his body shape looks markedly different. Hope it's the case and not just a flattering shot.

The stories about Dean and his eating where way over stated and mainly internet junk that somehow became fact. Dean was always a bigger bloke but the last 6 years his knee was stuffed. You try and get fit when you have to get your knee drained of fluid 3 or 4 times a season.

Its called an ergometer (rowing machine). The most under utilized bit of fitness equipment.

When used properly there is almost no scope for injury and it's about as good a workout as you can do.

If Rioli wanted to keep the weight off he could have. He was obese by the standards of a non professional athlete.

Last edited:
it's racist in any number of ways. Because it implies tiwi islanders are simple folk. Because the implication is that a tiwi islander isn't professional and is skivving off home to eat turtle meat. Because it is an unfounded accusation made in ignorance generally.

It's a bit like saying Black people love watermelon
Struggle to see the connection between turtle meat and racism. Just because they're knocking off turtle meat somewhere on the Tiwi Islands doesn't suggest that they are simple folk.

Dean's accusations are separate and I don't believe that those accusations (unfounded or otherwise) reflected on him as a Tiwi Islander per se or the Tiwi Islanders as a people IMO.I can see ignorance but not racism.

Anyway, unless we learn that the new wunderkid Aaron Francis is a fan of demolishing a good feed of turtle meat...time to move on.

As has already been noted. Please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back