Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stood next to Baguely, Fletch and one of his sons with his boys on the fwd pocket side - opposite end to Francis for the first Qrt.

We all remarked on Francis’s few marks. Mid way in the first he took a great intercept mark and played on quickly leading to a diving mark by another bomber player.

I revokon when he left the ground our defence begun to struggle and it was down hill from there.

I hope that the coaches can give this guy a crack.

I know they want to manage his minutes but far out give the guy a damn go. He is a natural.
If not we risk losing him to a team that will simply allow him the freedom to play his natural game.

I have written a lot about fitness and effort with him, but I reckon he is like an old fashion footballer that just needs to be played.

Of few of us joked in the first quarter that he should be played on the wing to compete, get him fit and find another gear....guess all the scientists running the game know better..

Player with history of soft tissue injuries is eased back in to first competitive game of the season.

Scandalous really.

Player with history of soft tissue injuries is eased back in to first competitive game of the season.

Scandalous really.

I don’t want this kind of solid logic to get in the way of my passion.
But I hear ya. Perhaps one to many
ales today. Shame it was a loss.
Just feel like the kid needs more games time thats all

I thought he was much better than the stats suggest.

Classic intercept mark. Just looked a presence and an option coming out of defense, even in limited game time.

Just let him enjoy his footy and play naturally (wherever that may be, probably defense) for the next 3-4 weeks, and we'll see what happens from there.

I don’t want this kind of solid logic to get in the way of my passion.
But I hear ya. Perhaps one to many
ales today. Shame it was a loss.
Just feel like the kid needs more games time thats all

I’d hope we build him up with an eye to be a possible option after the Byes for the AFL side.

So probably limited game time building over the next 2-3 weeks or so I’d think.

The worst thing we could do is rush him and cause another injury, both because we all want to see him succeed, but for a young man who’s struggling with the demands of it all mentally, being out in rehab (again) would be a big blow.

I am telling ya'll Hooker, Hurley, Franga, Gleeson, McKenna and Saad is coming!! The opposition better be good at hitting up leads because there are three elite intercept marks there which can be fed to Hurley's kicking and the run of McKenna and Saad. I long for the day ... and Ambrose trying to neutralise any size difference in the midfield by acting as a glove to oppositions biggest and best mid.

Also saw two other things that upset me a bit whilst I was on the edge of the huddle today.

Saad was wearing a thigh bandage... perhaps a corky issue ?
Gleeson looked skinny and is still on crutches. I wonder if he can somehow use this time off his feet to build up his skinny body?
If I can do it whilst sitting at my desk for 70% of my week, he can to surely. Come on fitness guys, get some muscle onto them Gleeson bones.

I
Stood next to Baguely, Fletch and one of his sons with his boys on the fwd pocket side - opposite end to Francis for the first Qrt.

We all remarked on Francis’s few marks. Mid way in the first he took a great intercept mark and played on quickly leading to a diving mark by another bomber player.

I revokon when he left the ground our defence begun to struggle and it was down hill from there.

I hope that the coaches can give this guy a crack.

I know they want to manage his minutes but far out give the guy a damn go. He is a natural.
If not we risk losing him to a team that will simply allow him the freedom to play his natural game.

I have written a lot about fitness and effort with him, but I reckon he is like an old fashion footballer that just needs to be played.

Of few of us joked in the first quarter that he should be played on the wing to compete, get him fit and find another gear....guess all the scientists running the game know better..

Nothing like abit of pressure to help out a depressed young man.

He played the right amount today. Will play abit more next week and will likely be back full time in the VFL in three weeks.

If he gets his mind right i am happy to wait till 2019 to see him in the seniors.

Watching now, done some impressive things but looking out of gas late in the firs half, second and third efforts dropped away. Definitely the right decision to limit his game time and ease him back in. The main thing we want is for him to be enjoying his footy again, get that happening and the rest will come.

Anybody know how Francis’ fitness is tracking? He looked noticeably skinner in the VFL highlights video. Is he getting close to a call up?

Anybody know how Francis’ fitness is tracking? He looked noticeably skinner in the VFL highlights video. Is he getting close to a call up?

Still away due to the time missed at the start of the year.

Keep running him through full games of VFL and hopefully he gets the callup in the second half of the year at some point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has been going well. Has only played a 1/2 game and 1 full game. Personally I would like to see him get through another 3 or 4 full games with some reasonable form over longer periods before I would be looking at him. Hope he gets to the stage where he does play a string of games in the back end of the season.

Surely his game time was still heavily managed on the weekend with decent stints on the bench.

Also, good job AFL website, his return was two weeks ago.

Aaron Francis was relatively quiet in his return, following time off for personal leave.

The talented defender had eight disposals, five marks and a goal, as Essendon won 19.19 (133) to 10.7 (67).

Comments from Franga, confirming he was managed over the second half, but still good signs that he wasn't put on ice early.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/es...n/news-story/d3ff33457ae65e732b544d349b3198b5

Meanwhile, Essendon defender Aaron Francis was relieved to get through his first full match in the VFL.

Francis, who returned from personal leave in March, looked imposing across half-back in the Bombers’ VFL win over North Melbourne.

While Francis, 20, didn’t have a heap of the ball — eight disposals — his marking and positioning is what will please John Worsfold and the Essendon coaching staff the most.

He finished with five marks and popped up for a goal as he formed a formidable partnership with Michael Hartley.

“It was good to finally get back out there and play a full game,” Francis said.

“I cramped up a bit in the third quarter and tried to manage that over the last half, but the body is feeling a lot better than it did last year and the year before that.

“I have to get through some VFL games and really show to the coaches and the players my level of intensity, structurally setting up well and just playing my role for the team.”

the body is feeling a lot better than it did last year and the year before that.

sweet!

Comments from Franga, confirming he was managed over the second half, but still good signs that he wasn't put on ice early.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/es...n/news-story/d3ff33457ae65e732b544d349b3198b5

He actually cramped in the calf directly in front of where I was standing in the 3rd (I initially thought it was a knee from the opposition as it occurred straight after a marking contest in which he got crunched), I only watched him 3-4 times last year and for mine he was definitely in better shape.

The highlight for me was also in the 3rd when he backed in to packs 3 times in around 2 minutes, Showed no fear whatsoever and those type of contests would seriously take it out of you.

Definitely on the right path IMO

I honestly couldn't give the slightest shit if he plays VFL for the rest of the season - as long as he's happier and enjoying himself. He and the coaches will know if / when he's ready to play seniors.

All the tools are there, he just has to enjoy it and work hard. That's not a quick fix, so he can have as long as he needs AFAIC... a year or two is not much over the course of a (hopefully) long career.

I honestly couldn't give the slightest shit if he plays VFL for the rest of the season - as long as he's happier and enjoying himself. He and the coaches will know if / when he's ready to play seniors.

All the tools are there, he just has to enjoy it and work hard. That's not a quick fix, so he can have as long as he needs AFAIC... a year or two is not much over the course of a (hopefully) long career.

The entire VFL team seem a lot happier than the seniors.

He actually cramped in the calf directly in front of where I was standing in the 3rd (I initially thought it was a knee from the opposition as it occurred straight after a marking contest in which he got crunched), I only watched him 3-4 times last year and for mine he was definitely in better shape.

The highlight for me was also in the 3rd when he backed in to packs 3 times in around 2 minutes, Showed no fear whatsoever and those type of contests would seriously take it out of you.

Definitely on the right path IMO

Yeah I agree that he looks really good. He looks fit and was moving really well early.

First half was good. Second half quiet. He took three or four really nice marks over the course of the game.

I didn't really notice that he was being rested and I'd say that his numbers were as much of a reflection of the dominance of the game as anything (with Francis and Hartley defending deepest). Hartley only had a few more touches and Zerk also had 11.

You could look at the stat sheet and be concerned about the level of involvement but I'd say that he did what he had to do and that he did it well.

Francis, Hartley, Ridley and Zerk is a really strong quartet of tall VFL defenders (so strong that we don't miss Ferry who was a gun at this level). They're not all going to get 20 touches a week and we don't want them to at half back (because it would be a signal thay something is wrong). Performances week to week will depend on match-ups and structural considerations.

I certainly expect more and I assume that it will come with his match conditioning. If he plays full games at the level of his first half it won't be long before he's hammering the door down.

Until Saturday I thought of him as 'let's just see how this plays out if we have to, the list can cover the loss'.

Seeing fit Francis bouncing about pulling down marks I'm now thinking 'we're back on'.

He should be setting his sights on a spot post bye. There is no reason that should not be within his grasp.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree that he looks really good. He looks fit and was moving really well early.

First half was good. Second half quiet. He took three or four really nice marks over the course of the game.

I didn't really notice that he was being rested and I'd say that his numbers were as much of a reflection of the dominance of the game as anything (with Francis and Hartley defending deepest). Hartley only had a few more touches and Zerk also had 11.

You could look at the stat sheet and be concerned about the level of involvement but I'd say that he did what he had to do and that he did it well.

Francis, Hartley, Ridley and Zerk is a really strong quartet of tall VFL defenders (so strong that we don't miss Ferry who was a gun at this level). They're not all going to get 20 touches a week and we don't want them to at half back (because it would be a signal thay something is wrong). Performances week to week will depend on match-ups and structural considerations.

I certainly expect more and I assume that it will come with his match conditioning. If he plays full games at the level of his first half it won't be long before he's hammering the door down.

Until Saturday I thought of him as 'let's just see how this plays out if we have to, the list can cover the loss'.

Seeing fit Francis bouncing about pulling down marks I'm now thinking 'we're back on'.

He should be setting his sights on a spot post bye. There is no reason that should not be within his grasp.
Good write up, Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back