Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s irrelevant. Ambrose is a key back.

Francis isn’t.

Get him in. Now.

Based on what Francis has shown... in 13 games... 13 (!)... he needs to be playing seniors. His reading of the ball, his marking and his pinpoint kicking are beyond what players at that level of experience show. He clearly has the potential to be an elite player. It’s absolutely ridiculous that he’s been dropped.

When your winning its very hard to make many changes to a team. Ambrose has done his job on the number one forward each week. He has the endurance to go with them all. Unless injuries occur the only option would be to move a few magnets around to slot him in. Ridley and Redman could spend more time further up the ground on the wing etc. Chances are we will struggle to beat Collingwood and then most players will be on the chopping block haha

Francis was ok against Saints but he hasn’t played at last year’s level. Ambrose has been terrific. No room for Francis and his VFL game on Saturday he was ok but not enough to force his way in.

It’s irrelevant. Ambrose is a key back.

Francis isn’t.

Get him in. Now.

Based on what Francis has shown... in 13 games... 13 (!)... he needs to be playing seniors. His reading of the ball, his marking and his pinpoint kicking are beyond what players at that level of experience show. He clearly has the potential to be an elite player. It’s absolutely ridiculous that he’s been dropped.
Why is it absolutely ridiculous?

Having absurd talent is all well and good, but that shouldn’t make him undroppable - is that what you’re suggesting? Francis didn’t start the year particularly well, Ambrose has played his role quite well, and thus here we found ourselves.

It’s up to Francis to earn that spot back. Bruno’s post was spot on.

Well he will never play the same role as Ambrose. Even if he does improve his one on one defending he will never have the running power. He would have had no chance of keeping up with Ben Brown. His time will come but it is just stupid to say we shuffle the structure around so we can fit him in. Different story if Ambrose is getting a flogging every week but while he can hold the oppositions most dangerous forward it really works for us to have Hurley and Hooker playing the role they can because of it.

Well he will never play the same role as Ambrose. Even if he does improve his one on one defending he will never have the running power. He would have had no chance of keeping up with Ben Brown. His time will come but it is just stupid to say we shuffle the structure around so we can fit him in. Different story if Ambrose is getting a flogging every week but while he can hold the oppositions most dangerous forward it really works for us to have Hurley and Hooker playing the role they can because of it.
This.
I feel it’s Francis v Hurley on the basis of role
Hooker returning has put Hurley back in the intercept/mobile defender role. The balance down back right now is such that barring injury, matchup or a need for rests you wouldn’t break up

Zaka and Smith will likely come in for ham and bags this week. At which point our 22 looks settled. Likes of Langford, begley, Francis and laverde will need to really push for selection.

Why is it absolutely ridiculous?

Having absurd talent is all well and good, but that shouldn’t make him undroppable - is that what you’re suggesting? Francis didn’t start the year particularly well, Ambrose has played his role quite well, and thus here we found ourselves.

It’s up to Francis to earn that spot back. Bruno’s post was spot on.

Of course he’s droppable, but he wasn’t at this stage. He had a couple of so-so games, that’s going to happen with a player who’s barely played ten games. But what he’d shown was amazing in terms of poise and talent. More than worth persevering with. I find it totally ridiculous that we supposedly can’t fit in a player of his massive potential.

Sometimes potential doesn’t fit with best structure. It’s that simple.

His biggest weaknesses are Ambrose’s strengths, and those strengths are also Ambrose’s points of difference from Hurley and Hooker.

He is competing with Ridley I reckon.

Ridley offers much more in regards to running out whole games although he does not have the natural marking and kicking ability of Francis.

I am not sold on Francis ever making it as a superstar. Looks gassed at the end of every quarter he plays. Reckon he could be one of those guys whose talent would have made him a superstar in the 80's and 90's but tank will hold him back the way footy is played now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Francis is a 3rd tall that would struggle to play on smalls. In a perfect world we'd be able to see a back 7 of:

Francis - Hooker - Gleeson
McKenna - Hurley - Saad (Ridley)

Redman on a wing.

He is competing with Ridley I reckon.

Ridley offers much more in regards to running out whole games although he does not have the natural marking and kicking ability of Francis.

I am not sold on Francis ever making it as a superstar. Looks gassed at the end of every quarter he plays. Reckon he could be one of those guys whose talent would have made him a superstar in the 80's and 90's but tank will hold him back the way footy is played now.
Ridley is a very good kick. He may not drill bullets like Francis but in terms of technique and efficiency he is very steady. Pretty sure he was at the top of his draft year in kicking testing.

Ridley is a very good kick. He may not drill bullets like Francis but in terms of technique and efficiency he is very steady. Pretty sure he was at the top of his draft year in kicking testing.
Ridley would be top 5 at the club for kicking, Francis more capable of the game breaking kick inboard but also more prone to biting off more than he can chew. Not many in the side id trust with the football more than Ridley in our team.

I’d get him in. Doesn’t matter where, rotate him forward and back, chuck him on the defensive half of the wing at centre bounces where he can roll back as a plus one and roll a half forward up. Run Ridley and Redman down the wings at times if need be. We have a stack of versatile players, we shouldn’t be so reluctant to use them as such.

I’d get him in. Doesn’t matter where, rotate him forward and back, chuck him on the defensive half of the wing at centre bounces where he can roll back as a plus one and roll a half forward up. Run Ridley and Redman down the wings at times if need be. We have a stack of versatile players, we shouldn’t be so reluctant to use them as such.
A few more games and i'd name Redman on the ball in place of Myers.
Kid has the body for it and the nous to play midfield. He's also a beautiful kick inside 50.

Myers is doing his role nicely at the moment, but we know his peak output. Its no bad thing having him as depth

This purple patch of Ambrose's is not helping his cause.
No bad thing for the club to have kids putting pressure on spots, but you need to play them or risk losing them.
And Francis is a ridiculous talent to lose.

A few more games and i'd name Redman on the ball in place of Myers.
Kid has the body for it and the nous to play midfield. He's also a beautiful kick inside 50.

Myers is doing his role nicely at the moment, but we know his peak output. Its no bad thing having him as depth

This purple patch of Ambrose's is not helping his cause.
No bad thing for the club to have kids putting pressure on spots, but you need to play them or risk losing them.
And Francis is a ridiculous talent to lose.
I think our 22 matches up poorly against their forwards today. It will be Ambrose’s biggest test since round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back