Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

...or Redman, given what you've written in paragraph two. If you add an increasingly capable Zerk and a soon to be drafted Fletch to that list, it sounds like a way to trade back in to the first round. So, who to trade? I haven't seen enough of Ridley, Redman or Zerk to know, but the prospect of Redman the running mid is exciting.

Edit: Reread your first two paragraphs and it sounds like you mean Francis and Redman are the keepers? Then still who to trade?

I might have misinterpreted the post I quoted but I thought that it was basically "Francis for Ridley or Redman". Whether it was about a role in a team or the place in a 22, I don't know so I assumed both.

I wasn't really suggesting that we trade anyone but if we decide that Francis is not mobile enough to play other than in the role Hooker plays (which is what I think is happening) it probably ends up being the only logical thing to do. That we've got so many high quality intercept defenders on the list is testament to the reality that they're not hard to find.

I thought that Francis would essentially be Hurley as a 1v1 defender. He was never going to be one for searching leads up to the wing but good inside 50 where he has the explosive power to run with most tall forwards over a short lead. Maybe that what he needs to go back to the VFL to do.

Given that you asked, if I had to make a decision, and I don't believe it is necessary, Redman and Ridley would be the keepers. I don't love the lack of versatility in Francis' game and with Gleeson and Zerk Thatcher already on the list we've got cover.

Last edited:

I might have misinterpreted the post I quoted but I thought that it was basically "Francis for Ridley or Redman". Whether it was about a role in a team or the place in a 22, I don't know so I assumed both.

I wasn't really suggesting that we trade anyone but if we decide that Francis is not mobile enough to play other than in the role Hooker plays (which is what I think is happening) it probably ends up being the only logical thing to do. That we've got so many high quality intercept defenders on the list is testament to the reality that they're not hard to find.

I thought that Francis would essentially be Hurley as a 1v1 defender. He was never going to be one for searching leads up to the wing but good inside 50 where he has the explosive power to run with most tall forwards over a short lead. Maybe that what he needs to go back to the VFL to do.

Given that you asked, if I had to make a decision, and I don't believe it is necessary, Redman and Ridley would be the keepers. I don't love the lack of versatility in Francis' game and with Gleeson and Zerk Thatcher already on the list we've got cover.
Wow. I'm stunned. Francis's vision and skill set are elite. If he were developed to play the Hooker role I'd be fairly confident he could play it better. Gleeson is the guy I'd be looking at trading. Rids has his measure and Zerk's there as well as you've said, but I'd be loathe to lose a player of Francis's quality. Not that I'm trying to push you into a trade discussion btw, I would hope the club is considering ways of getting back into the first round of the draft.

Wow. I'm stunned. Francis's vision and skill set are elite. If he were developed to play the Hooker role I'd be fairly confident he could play it better. Gleeson is the guy I'd be looking at trading. Rids has his measure and Zerk's there as well as you've said, but I'd be loathe to lose a player of Francis's quality. Not that I'm trying to push you into a trade discussion btw, I would hope the club is considering ways of getting back into the first round of the draft.

None of these guys other than Francis are getting us anywhere near a first round pick

The way into the first round, the way we almost certainly wont go is Parish.

Doubt that oppo clubs would be smart enough to look past his draft history, etc.

Posters are kidding themselves if they think Parish is anything like the mid we want from pick 5 and even anything more than we couldnt get from playing any of Mynott, Mutch or Guelfi in that role.

Playing AFL standard games is celebrated for Parish as though it's a massive achievement. That's not how mids drafted at pick 5 should be being discussed in their 4th years with 50 games of experience.

The way into the first round, the way we almost certainly wont go is Parish.

Doubt that oppo clubs would be smart enough to look past his draft history, etc.

Posters are kidding themselves if they think Parish is anything like the mid we want from pick 5 and even anything more than we couldnt get from playing any of Mynott, Mutch or Guelfi in that role.

Playing AFL standard games is celebrated for Parish as though it's a massive achievement. That's not how mids drafted at pick 5 should be being discussed in their 4th years with 50 games of experience.
I’d take a late first rounder for Parish in a heartbeat if he continues at his current level of performance.

We have plenty of tall/medium fwds. Even though Stewart and Smack are injured, Daniher is coming back and Brown is in form so there is no need for Hooker or Francis to play fwd. So you would think that Francis' only way back into the team is by taking one of Ridley, Ambrose or Redman's spot.

Ridley is so clean and rarely makes a poor decision so it's hard to see him getting dropped. He also hasn't been badly beaten by his direct opponent.

Ambrose seems like a lot of people's scapegoat to make way for Francis but he is our fittest player and the coaches love him because he always does the team thing so i doubt Francis will take his spot. Not just yet anyway. We won't replace our fittest player with our least fittest player.

Redman just got his spot in the team and deserves to keep it for now.

Francis is my favorite player, but unfortunately I don't see him coming in this week. He will come in if one of the above 3 players has a bad game/gets injured. FWIW, i reckon Redman will come out for Francis for the Anzac day game.

Francis is a gun. He can bust a game open off his boot and with his intercept marking. Only Gleeson Comes near him for marking. To me we keep Redman and Francis. Ridley third and Gleeson last. I would like then to try Francis out forward. With tippa raz and bsguley he can do the aerial work and these guys can crumb and lock it in. Francis can impose himself on any game as much as Ambrose does.

Francis is my favorite player, but unfortunately I don't see him coming in this week. He will come in if one of the above 3 players has a bad game/gets injured. FWIW, i reckon Redman will come out for Francis for the Anzac day game.

Redman aint coming out now, was so composed against lions and added defensive qualities...

If rumors are true Ridley has broken hand :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have plenty of tall/medium fwds. Even though Stewart and Smack are injured, Daniher is coming back and Brown is in form so there is no need for Hooker or Francis to play fwd. So you would think that Francis' only way back into the team is by taking one of Ridley, Ambrose or Redman's spot.

Ridley is so clean and rarely makes a poor decision so it's hard to see him getting dropped. He also hasn't been badly beaten by his direct opponent.

Ambrose seems like a lot of people's scapegoat to make way for Francis but he is our fittest player and the coaches love him because he always does the team thing so i doubt Francis will take his spot. Not just yet anyway. We won't replace our fittest player with our least fittest player.

Redman just got his spot in the team and deserves to keep it for now.

It'd be harsh on whoever comes out but I think Francis is just that good a prospect that you simply have to play him. That's how it is imo. It'll either be unfair on him or unfair on somebody else - I think Francis is just that good that you prioritise him.

I think he's shown flashes and poise that very, very few players have at his tiny level of experience.

It'd be harsh on whoever comes out but I think Francis is just that good a prospect that you simply have to play him. That's how it is imo. It'll either be unfair on him or unfair on somebody else - I think Francis is just that good that you prioritise him.

I think he's shown flashes and poise that very, very few players have at his tiny level of experience.

agreed but you dont just gift games to anyone no matter how good their talent seems to be. Maybe he was dropped because of defensive approach? I don't know but Redmans approach on the game seemed to make us more ferocious with our pressure on the opposition ball carrier.

Ideally I see Francis replacing Ambrose because Francis is more capable of providing the counter attack if he can match Ambrose's competitiveness.

Jesus people overrate draft picks.
Both Parish and Francis are both doing just fine. They’re not bloody Dyson and Laycock.

Relax
If we trade either one, ill be disappointed.
We got a good haul in that draft.
Parish, Francis, Redman, Tippa, Brown and Hartley have set us up well.

If i could go back, the only pick i change is Morgan and take Bonner like we should have.

We clearly have too many medium/tall backs to fit every week. Zerk will be pushing for a game soon too. Hooker and Hurley won't be around forever though. Francis might not be a lock till Hooker goes. It's a good problem to have. I'd be looking at trading one for another quality small forward. No idea who though I rate them all.

We have 4 very good ones. I think that Ridley, Redman and Gleeson could all be played on a wing. Their intercept marking combined with Langford and Laverde as lead up forwards makes us potent aerially all over the ground.

If i could go back, the only pick i change is Morgan and take Bonner like we should have.
I think many thought Matheson was is he obvious choice. Would’ve been a decent selection in hindsight and is also good mates with Darcy.

Jesus people overrate draft picks.
Both Parish and Francis are both doing just fine. They’re not bloody Dyson and Laycock.

Relax
In defence to my comment, I’m not suggesting Darcy isn’t doing OK but if he can’t step up to another level he is only really the equivalent of a late first round pick. I’m hopefully optimistic (and always have been) that he will channel his inner Cousins sometime in the near future. But on the current evidence before us he is not the type of pick you’d hope for in a top 5 selection. This is the reality of it.

Gleeson lol come on, he hasn't played for nearly 18 months and you think he is in our best 22?
Most likely his injury has hamped his athletic ability and won't capture prior form.

He's had a long time off, but has been training really well and had a great first game in the VFL. Wouldn't be surprised if he's pushing for selection sooner rather than later.

Disagree, we have enough utility backs (Gleeson, Ridley, Francis, Dea) and rebounding backs (Redman, McKenna, Saad and McGrath can rotate through there)

I would fill a need and replace Morgan with Rhys Mathieson (inside mid with decent dose of campaigner).
Hindsight is fun though haha

Disagree, we have enough utility backs (Gleeson, Ridley, Francis, Dea) and rebounding backs (Redman, McKenna, Saad and McGrath can rotate through there)

I would fill a need and replace Morgan with Rhys Mathieson (inside mid with decent dose of campaigner).
If we had Bonner I think we'd have been seeing Redman on a wing.

Bonner and Cole were the ones i was keen on at the time.
I was a little puzzled by our decisions, but Redman has been a pleasant surprise.

I think many thought Matheson was is he obvious choice. Would’ve been a decent selection in hindsight and is also good mates with Darcy.
from what i can recall there was a train of thought that Mathieson wasn't a positive influence, and pairing Parish with him may have been a distraction (could be BS, but i do recall reading that).

I liked Bonner at the time. Good leg on him. Moved well. We weren't so well stocked with HBF players.
I also spent a bit of time in SA that year, and went to a good number of SANFL games (never noticed Redman i must admit)
Francis & Bonner looked like a strong pairing to rule the roost along our HBF line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back